The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I never bothered to take a picture of the atrocity (or mention it), BUT if anyone hasn't noticed by yet... they now have a stupid tan umbrella right between the "emergency entrance" hospital doors for the attraction, so that a non-themed Universal security guard can stand there the entire time. I hate TWD, always have... along with this stupid attraction.. But this recent change really does kill an already terrible attraction.

it was pretty bad, not sure what all the hype was at the time. maybe for fans of the series i guess.

Actually, as I have mentioned once before... I chatted with Chris Williams last year briefly at HHN and he flat out said that the reason we go TWD attraction instead of Resident Evil like Universal Japan was because TWD was "cheaper". Resident Evil would've cost a lot more due to the Umbrella Corp "bio-weapon creatures"...

Reactions: Horror Lover
Actually, as I have mentioned once before... I chatted with Chris Williams last year briefly at HHN and he flat out said that the reason we go TWD attraction instead of Resident Evil like Universal Japan was because TWD was "cheaper". Resident Evil would've cost a lot more due to the Umbrella Corp "bio-weapon creatures"...

I remember in 2013, when Orlando got Resident Evil, people asked Murdy why he didn't go for it, and his response at the time was something along the lines of "We already have TWD for the zombie factor and that's way more popular"

Think anyone would've chosen resident evil.

But companies nowadays don't wanna shell out money for something decent.

Anything would be better then walking dead.

At the time, I think it made sense for Universal to capitalize on The Walking Dead, and that, they may of thought of it as the safer choice to market, for both USH's Creative and Management teams.

That said, I really have to hope that The Walking Dead Attraction will close, even if they re purpose the building as over-flow for Pets, that'd be a much better option that would actually benefit them greatly when one thinks about it.

At the time, I think it made sense for Universal to capitalize on The Walking Dead, and that, they may of thought of it as the safer choice to market, for both USH's Creative and Management teams.

That said, I really have to hope that The Walking Dead Attraction will close, even if they re purpose the building as over-flow for Pets, that'd be a much better option that would actually benefit them greatly when one thinks about it.

Especially with TWD's faltering ratings and the fillers, I think it's time Universal remove the maze to make room for something else. At the same time, Universal would not have a permanent maze to capitalize on for the first time in decades, that's what I'm afraid with.

Reactions: tankart150
Especially with TWD's faltering ratings and the fillers, I think it's time Universal remove the maze to make room for something else. At the same time, Universal would not have a permanent maze to capitalize on for the first time in decades, that's what I'm afraid with.

Honestly, allow me to state a controversial opinion.

Permanent Walk-through Haunt's, are not only over-rated, but are extremely niche.

I would be fine with walk-through attractions, if done in a way that is for everyone.

At the time, I think it made sense for Universal to capitalize on The Walking Dead, and that, they may of thought of it as the safer choice to market, for both USH's Creative and Management teams
At the time?... um, by that time this attraction opened, TWD had been at HHN 4 years in a row (2012-2015) in maze form... and 3 years (2012-2014) of Terror Tram & SZ form.. The only thing it was capitalizing on was a dying show that had already run its course when this attraction opened in 2016.

The problem this attraction had from day 1 was that it was under "show control" rather than "attractions", hence the crappy & random hours. USH wanted to be cheap when it came to the scareactors in it. So rather be open/close with the park it has the random times. Although lately its been continuous as far as being open.

There's a reason why Universal Japan gets all the good stuff (besides the obvious direct connection to everything coming from there). Everyone is all excited over Nintendo which isn't even on the horizon here anytime soon (which is both sad and hilarious). Imagine if USH had spent the money on a well done Resident Evil attraction (walk-through, ride, or even interactive like Japan had).

Not every ride or attraction is supposed to be meant for everyone. That's the problem with the mentality of the world today. "Everyone is a winner!" :rolleyes::puke:

At the time?... um, by that time this attraction opened, TWD had been at HHN 4 years in a row (2012-2015) in maze form... and 3 years (2012-2014) of Terror Tram & SZ form.. The only thing it was capitalizing on was a dying show that had already run its course when this attraction opened in 2016.

The problem this attraction had from day 1 was that it was under "show control" rather than "attractions", hence the crappy & random hours. USH wanted to be cheap when it came to the scareactors in it. So rather be open/close with the park it has the random times. Although lately its been continuous as far as being open.

There's a reason why Universal Japan gets all the good stuff (besides the obvious direct connection to everything coming from there). Everyone is all excited over Nintendo which isn't even on the horizon here anytime soon (which is both sad and hilarious). Imagine if USH had spent the money on a well done Resident Evil attraction (walk-through, ride, or even interactive like Japan had).

Not every ride or attraction is supposed to be meant for everyone. That's the problem with the mentality of the world today. "Everyone is a winner!" :rolleyes::puke:

Allow me to say this,

I would imagine, The Walking Dead was locked for an attraction sometime when they began work on Universal Blvd, before the closure of House of Horrors. And that, I believe Universal probably decided at that point, before the closure of said walk through attraction, to bring an IP that at the time (2014), was still a hot property, regardless of Halloween Horror Nights, and what the hell Murdy did to the IP prior to TWDA.

A scary maze gives Universal a type of experience that can't be found at Disney.
Me RN,

Also, I find that as a somewhat...flawed statement, when looking at walk through attractions. Need we not forget Sleeping Beauty Castle or Tom Sawyers Island's cave system?

Reactions: HauntfanLA
Happy 2nd Anniversary to this attraction... As of today, we've officially had it for two years...

z37bkNC.jpg

Honestly, allow me to state a controversial opinion.

Permanent Walk-through Haunt's, are not only over-rated, but are extremely niche.

I would be fine with walk-through attractions, if done in a way that is for everyone.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily a controversial opinion, since the past several permanent walk-through haunts here have gotten the same cycle of complaints and issues.

When it first opens, it's all new and nice and for the most part it's well-received. But then as time goes on it's not as well staffed and that's a issue/complaint right there.
Then HHN rolls around and it's well-staffed!...but since it's a attraction you can experience throughout the year, there's complaints it's exactly the same and they need to put money in to change it up.
When HHN did change it up, we only really got new costumes...and dubstep. An' then you got people feeling the attraction is dead weight as it's wasting staff and money for a whole new maze.

Unless you can constantly change things up for whatever walk through is there, it's ultimately a conundrum that keeps falling into the same pitfalls as it's previous incarnations. It also doesn't help that TWD is easily the weakest walk through compared to House of Horrors and Van Helsing.

I've completed this walkthrough twice since it opened, once each during my visits to USH, & it lacks the basic fear factor of a zombie apocalypse. If this closed, we would not be losing anything, but I will say, and Universal have a recent habit of this, but the queue is probably one of the best parts of the attraction. It feels abandoned, from papers thrown across the floor, to the flickering lights. If the rest of the attraction had the same foreboding atmosphere, it was be a home run, but I feel it misses the mark quite considerably.

Reactions: alias8703
Okay... not gonna lie, part of me is kinda loving the idea of a covered alley into the attraction, but thats only because of the current heat haha

in other news, its a good thing I had gotten this pic!
uCJ5672.jpg