The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 870 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I dont know how that Dementor scene doesnt scare the mess out of anyone else but me. Like everytime I go in there no matter if I know whats coming or not that part always has a horrid effect on me.

Fallow kind of mentioned it above, but this has really just reminded me how reliable FJ usually is now considering the unfathomable complexity of the system. There are so, so many things which all have to work together to have the ride and show working at 100%, and considering all of these it doesn't do too badly at all. Its an absolute workhorse and has to deal with such intensive use, but extended problems like these have been pretty rare since the first summer haven't they?

I hope they sort a solution out quickly, anyway.

Fallow kind of mentioned it above, but this has really just reminded me how reliable FJ usually is now considering the unfathomable complexity of the system. There are so, so many things which all have to work together to have the ride and show working at 100%, and considering all of these it doesn't do too badly at all. Its an absolute workhorse and has to deal with such intensive use, but extended problems like these have been pretty rare since the first summer haven't they?

I hope they sort a solution out quickly, anyway.

The reliability of everything has been amazing and the 3rd shift maintenance crew has done an outstanding job of keeping the most complex ride system to date up to par. But after 3 years of continuous use its just time for an extended closing to take care of everything.

Does full blown mean that the vehicles do not glide back to the station? That the evac platforms and emergency rolling stairs are used and brought out?

I was told rolling stairs were used due to the nature of the error

PS: Reel, what did you think of the current new brightness of the projections on FJ?

I have been on FJ between 10-15 times in the past year. They are definitely tinkering with it. Some changes are good and some are bad.

*Yes, the brightness and projections are noticeable and good.
*The new ride profiles seem to be a work in progress and no 2 rides feel the same. I was in the single rider seat every time (the very last one to load.) I find that you spend much more time on your back than before.
*because they're tinkering with the profiling, the timing is off between the ride vehicles and the domes. This means that the transitions are not as seemless as they were before and you see that you are, in fact, entering and exiting a white dome. This is bad show, but forgivable if this is due to a "work in progress."
*FJ was down at least 3 hours on Wednesday. IoA happened to be especially crowded. It was also very hot. I wanted to die. The temp bridge was open. At times, single rider would back up past the Gryffindor Common Room. The ride temporarily broke down while I was on it which I enjoyed.
*Dementor effect never worked for me, but it would work for others on my bench. I rode 4 times.
*The Dark Mark projection was missing everytime.
*The ending Dumbledore projection was missing on one ride.
*Did they go back to the only Floo projection?

Major Positive:
The Chamber of Secrets is MUCH more prominent in this new profile. It may even be lit better. You see every snake statue, and there is no doubt where you are. I am thrilled by this. You also seem to spend more time with the Willow (on your back.)

Negative:
You see other ride vehicles, portions of the building you were never meant to see (the tunnel before the Willow as you're under the Willow) and you see the domes. You also stare at the tunnel where they bring benches from when you transition from Dumbledore to Floo for a good 2-3 seconds (but this may have always been the case?)

Keep in mind, I've only been on two trips to WWoHP, so I may be misremembering things, but the ride does look and feel different. Hopefully HTF or others can back me up on some of this.

As for the rest of the land, I don't think they want JKR or a WB rep visiting anytime soon. The Tomes and Scrolls window seemed off to me but again, I've only been one other time and that was a year ago. The Dominic Maestro window was definitely not working.

Has the Magic Neep cart always sold pretzels and churros?

Reactions: Felipe
I have been on FJ between 10-15 times in the past year. They are definitely tinkering with it. Some changes are good and some are bad.

*Yes, the brightness and projections are noticeable and good.
*The new ride profiles seem to be a work in progress and no 2 rides feel the same. I was in the single rider seat every time (the very last one to load.) I find that you spend much more time on your back than before.
*because they're tinkering with the profiling, the timing is off between the ride vehicles and the domes. This means that the transitions are not as seemless as they were before and you see that you are, in fact, entering and exiting a white dome. This is bad show, but forgivable if this is due to a "work in progress."
*FJ was down at least 3 hours on Wednesday. IoA happened to be especially crowded. It was also very hot. I wanted to die. The temp bridge was open. At times, single rider would back up past the Gryffindor Common Room. The ride temporarily broke down while I was on it which I enjoyed.
*Dementor effect never worked for me, but it would work for others on my bench. I rode 4 times.
*The Dark Mark projection was missing everytime.
*The ending Dumbledore projection was missing on one ride.
*Did they go back to the only Floo projection?

Major Positive:
The Chamber of Secrets is MUCH more prominent in this new profile. It may even be lit better. You see every snake statue, and there is no doubt where you are. I am thrilled by this. You also seem to spend more time with the Willow (on your back.)

Negative:
You see other ride vehicles, portions of the building you were never meant to see (the tunnel before the Willow as you're under the Willow) and you see the domes. You also stare at the tunnel where they bring benches from when you transition from Dumbledore to Floo for a good 2-3 seconds (but this may have always been the case?)

Keep in mind, I've only been on two trips to WWoHP, so I may be misremembering things, but the ride does look and feel different. Hopefully HTF or others can back me up on some of this.

As for the rest of the land, I don't think they want JKR or a WB rep visiting anytime soon. The Tomes and Scrolls window seemed off to me but again, I've only been one other time and that was a year ago. The Dominic Maestro window was definitely not working.

Has the Magic Neep cart always sold pretzels and churros?

Profile in non-dome sections hasn't changed significantly in years, and the amount of on-your-back time is still the same afaik. Other than dome brightness & profile (and the projection problems) I'm pretty sure every change you mentioned is actually the same as always..

Profile in non-dome sections hasn't changed significantly in years, and the amount of on-your-back time is still the same afaik. Other than dome brightness & profile (and the projection problems) I'm pretty sure every change you mentioned is actually the same as always..

I'm going to back Reel up on some of these changes. The transitions from dome to physical sets (and vice versa) haven't been nearly as seamless as they used to be, especially Willow to Quidditch Pitch. Chamber of Secrets scene is definitely brighter since you can now see a bunch of the extra, stationary dementors that were pretty invisible before. The dragon also appears to have lost a lot of (most?) of his motion - look at the original under-construction dragon in that Entech video, and then compare it with a recent on-ride POV. You'll see the difference.

I'm going to back Reel up on some of these changes. The transitions from dome to physical sets (and vice versa) haven't been nearly as seamless as they used to be, especially Willow to Quidditch Pitch. Chamber of Secrets scene is definitely brighter since you can now see a bunch of the extra, stationary dementors that were pretty invisible before. The dragon also appears to have lost a lot of (most?) of his motion - look at the original under-construction dragon in that Entech video, and then compare it with a recent on-ride POV. You'll see the difference.
Not knocking Reel's observations, but he hadn't been on FJ in a while and memory can be tricky ;-)
The dome profiles (including transitions into and out of them) have changed, though I don't think in a huge or bad way. If you are sitting in the end seat, you've always been able to see the carousel transitioning if you looked.
I think the extra brightness you're noticing in the chamber is mostly light spill from the brighter domes, but the lighting overall needs a good refocus (things shift).
The dragon hasn't looked as good as it does in that Entech vid since 2010. Some days he's more arthritic than others ;-) Wish he would return to opening-day condition...
These are just my observations from riding a minimum of 3 times a week for the last 3 years, and about once a day through June and July :)

Last edited:
^ I love and trust confident statements like this. I also would agree that the dome spill could cause problems. I have maintained this since the first time that I rode. I have also maintained that the lighting has always sucked. I can only assume it is because of a tug-of-war between WB and Universal Creative. While I have some serious issues with UOR management, I believe UC would have nailed the ride otherwise.

*FJ was down at least 3 hours on Wednesday. IoA happened to be especially crowded. It was also very hot. I wanted to die.

Sorry but this made me :lol: Bummed that our timing was off. We'll fix that at HHN!

^ I love and trust confident statements like this. I also would agree that the dome spill could cause problems. I have maintained this since the first time that I rode. I have also maintained that the lighting has always sucked. I can only assume it is because of a tug-of-war between WB and Universal Creative. While I have some serious issues with UOR management, I believe UC would have nailed the ride otherwise.
You're free to love me, but I would never trust me! ;-)

Thanks for the info guys! Last couple of times I've been to UOR, I've spent my time either at USF or CityWalk... haven't been to IoA in months :look:... so I have yet to see for myself FJ with the newly fixed projections and other tinkerings. The last change I caught was the Floo Network projection switch to the green fire effect. I'm gonna have to try to make it out to Islands and FJ soon...

The reliability of everything has been amazing and the 3rd shift maintenance crew has done an outstanding job of keeping the most complex ride system to date up to par. But after 3 years of continuous use its just time for an extended closing to take care of everything.

any idea when they might do this? We are going in October, around the 14th-21st. And I'm really hoping its not then. Also if the do shut it down would they still allow tours of the castle?

any idea when they might do this? We are going in October, around the 14th-21st. And I'm really hoping its not then. Also if the do shut it down would they still allow tours of the castle?

I highly doubt we see the FJ go completely down until late Feb early March 2014.