The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There very well could've been an Ollivanders branch in Hogsmeade that was just never mentioned. Same could go for Gringotts, but I think it would've been mentioned since it's a very large focal point in Diagon Alley.. Also, Hogwarts is in a completely different location from Hogsmeade, but it was placed a lot closer to Hogsmeade in Orlando to keep a cohesive theme all within the same area. Anyways, that set aside, I don't think we'll be disappointed. The queue for FJ is like an attraction within itself, and the ride is absolutely incredible. I trust Universal in bringing Potter to the park in a smart manner. We don't really have much to worry about at this point.
Well there is the chance of getting a Mummy kind of thing happen here, great ride in Orlando, we got the short end of the stick.... anyways my points reamins the same... 20 extra dlls for one ride?

I UNDERSTAND THAT... USH is not Hogwarts to have hidden space somewhere... the main point of all the post is that I don't want this "here, you have one more ride, a lot of shops and restaurants. Give me 20 dlls more!!!"
Calm down, guys. Friendly arguments are welcome, but let's keep the forums lookin' pretty, eh?

Anyways, keep in mind that this price may approach us a bit faster since Despicable Me is already underway. When people pay for USH, they aren't just riding rides and shopping - they're also looking to see all the behind the scenes work going on in the Backlot. That's one of the unique elements of USH that you can't find in UO, USJ, or USS.

Calm down, guys. Friendly arguments are welcome, but let's keep the forums lookin' pretty, eh?

Anyways, keep in mind that this price may approach us a bit faster since Despicable Me is already underway. When people pay for USH, they aren't just riding rides and shopping - they're also looking to see all the behind the scenes work going on in the Backlot. That's one of the unique elements of USH that you can't find in UO, USJ, or USS.
They like that but apparently not that much, since there a lot more people in Disneyland than at our park

Disney's very well known around the world. Mickey's an incredibly iconic character who represents Disney, while we don't exactly have a "mascot" of Universal as a whole, so to speak. Disneyland has many different classic rides, while we have a few groundbreaking ones. Kids normally grow up watching films like Toy Story, Cinderella, and Pinocchio - not Jaws, King Kong, or Jurassic Park. It's just a fact of reality, and Disney really knows how to get the kids to ask their parents to visit parks like Disneyland or Disney World.

Disney's very well known around the world. Mickey's an incredibly iconic character who represents Disney, while we don't exactly have a "mascot" of Universal as a whole, so to speak. Disneyland has many different classic rides, while we have a few groundbreaking ones. Kids normally grow up watching films like Toy Story, Cinderella, and Pinocchio - not Jaws, King Kong, or Jurassic Park. It's just a fact of reality, and Disney really knows how to get the kids to ask their parents to visit parks like Disneyland or Disney World.
Actually I grew up with Universal movies... but I also watched Disney movies obviously

What makes you think Universal will suddenly upcharge 20 extra dollars for park tickets? That's insanity.
Well once again, I explain in my post why... one, the opening date is in 3 years. Inflation is pretty common on a yearly basis in theme parks admission costs. And second that's exactly what happened in Florida, IOA becoming the most expensive theme park in the US, with a price tag of 90 dlls... which is just  10 dlls shy of 100 dlls... it's pretty safe to say that in 3 years counting inflation and all we might hit the 100 dlls mark

Again everyone, please keep the atmosphere open for differing opinions. Avoid shouting (using all capital letters) and try to be receptive. Even if you don't mean it, using all capital letters can convey shouting over the internet. If you want to emphasize text, use italics.

Well once again, I explain in my post why... one, the opening date is in 3 years. Inflation is pretty common on a yearly basis in theme parks admission costs. And second that's exactly what happened in Florida, IOA becoming the most expensive theme park in the US, with a price tag of 90 dlls... which is just  10 dlls shy of 100 dlls... it's pretty safe to say that in 3 years counting inflation and all we might hit the 100 dlls mark
I doubt Universal Studios Hollywood could ever increase prices to 100 USD. That's just too high. Remember, the 80 USD ticket price is already absurdly high, and most Californians get 15 USD off using widely-available coupons.

I just don't see that big of an increase happening within the next three years.

Reactions: William
Again everyone, please keep the atmosphere open for differing opinions. Avoid shouting (using all capital letters) and try to be receptive. Even if you don't mean it, using all capital letters can convey shouting over the internet. If you want to emphasize text, use italics.

I doubt Universal Studios Hollywood could ever increase prices to 100 USD. That's just too high. Remember, the 80 USD ticket price is already absurdly high, and most Californians get 15 USD off using widely-available coupons.

I just don't see that big of an increase happening within the next three years.
Once again Florida... most expensive park after they added Potter

But that contradicts the overall point you're making: that once Potter opens that would justify a sudden 20-dollar increase in price.

The most I see park tickets increasing by 2016 is to 90 dollars.
I have never said it does...

Once again Florida... most expensive park after they added Potter
That's not true. Go to their websites and check out the prices. Magic Kingdom and Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios Florida are the same price for single-park admission.

View attachment 22

You need to look at the market. Regardless of what we say, Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood are not very comparable theme park-wise. Disney has enough attractions to justify the price - we don't, hence the widespread coupons.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not true. Go to their websites and check out the prices. Magic Kingdom and Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios Florida are the same price for single-park admission.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2013-05-10 at 12.45.25 AM.png

You need to look at the market. Regardless of what we say, Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood are not very comparable theme park-wise. Disney has enough attractions to justify the price - we don't, hence the widespread coupons.
And that's what I have been saying, it doesn't justify the price at all... heck I even think now it's overpriced at 80... I don't know why people keep twisting my words... the whole point is thatI don't want them to add one ride and start charging 90 to 100 dlls because they think it justifies it. If the current plan as it is of only adding one major ride with Potter, because nothing else has been announced on the "one attraction per year", which, as it has been widely discussed on this forum,  it might be just tiny additions leading to Potter. A 90 dlls price is not justified at all. And well they might be the same price now, but we can agree that even IOA or USF cannot be compared to Disney (most of the parks anyway), so 90 dlls for either of those Universal Florida parks is overpriced... 

...well you're complaining as if they already did it. Which they didn't. And probably won't.

The "Buy a day, get (insert year) free!" APs will probably be discontinued but not much above that.
Well they already did in Florida, Potter opened, they raised prices. So I was just saying that I hope it doesn't happen here.

An annual price increase is expected, always, but it was barely a few dollars at best. Not 20 dollars more.

Like Jon displayed, USO prices are the same as WDW, if not just a little cheaper, as it has always been.
Well 5 dlls is not a couple... this is an old article but it shows price hikes from both Disneyland and USH http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20110620/4240/universal-studios-hollywood-increases-ticket-prices-line-disneyland and there you go the Time magazine article in which is stated that USO raised ticket price not once, but twice in one year http://business.time.com/2012/05/31/the-theme-park-thats-raised-admissions-prices-twice-in-less-than-12-months/

Yes, to keep in line with Disney who did the same thing. This is a reaction to the competition, not a reaction to Potter.
Because yes... competition raises prices, lets do the same, that's the reason they do it... anyways, your argument of they not raising prices is invalid since it is well documented and known that Disney raises prices every year, with few exceptions, and if USH raises them in reaction to the competition, then expect hikes of more than a "couple of bucks"

???

I said they wouldn't raise prices an insane 10 to 20 dollars extra, but probably the standard few dollars that happens every now and then due to competition/inflation.

You were merely overreacting with an absurd exaggeration that's nowhere near the actual truth. It costs about 80 dollars to enter Universal Studios Hollywood today. When Potter opens in 2016, it'll be more likely around 85 dollars. This will have nothing to do with the new land. If it's still too pricey for your tastes, then that's obviously your opinion and you're free to it. But this is not Universal outrageously gouging prices for a new ride.
Dude in Florida they raised prices 5 dlls in one year!!! so whether you think it won't happen in USH is up to you... but we have 3 years to see who's right...

From a potterhead stance, I've gotta say I'm against the idea of an Ollivanders in Hogsmead. Because the man himself, who so carefully helps witches and wizards be chosen by their wands, would then be unable to assist everyone who comes through his doors. It just doesn't seem right. I'm disappointed Florida did this and JK agreed with them on it, especially when they then went and started building Diagon Alley anyway.

As for the prevalence of potter in the park...I don't see us getting more than two rides due to space issues. But I do feel that too large of a part of our park is being gutted for this. Having any more than two rides does make for too much potter in the park. It's to the point where I'm no longer excited for it, and now it's just a nuisance that will bring in a lot of people who probably won't give a crap about the rest of the theme park and will only see everything else as a bonus to "Harry Potter Land", as I'm sure the press will call it sooner or later.

Also, and yes I am double posting here, so forgive me, to reiterate Jon's statement, since it seems to still be happening:

The defensiveness and combative attitudes need to stop. We can be civil to one another while still disagreeing. If you make a comment, prepare for a differing opinion. And be prepared to have people question you on it. That's how debate works. If you have an issue with something someone says, talk it out calmly. We're not that kind of site and will not allow that kind of in fighting that other forums do. It's just bad all around. So please guys, keep it civil.

Parks are a business and can't/won't be free...prices raise with inflation or competition, and only does raises it through the roof randomly for Annual Pass prices (my 599 pass went to 650 on one year...) but they do it because people can and will still buy tickets. But that's another topic.

If you don't like it or can't afford it, that's tough and it's sad, but that just means you should find something else to do, California or Florida have other fun options. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just facts. Universal and Disney have similar prices but Universal tends to have a lot more in terms of coupons and discounts and their annual passes will always be a better deal than at Disney.

It's all perspective and location and market.

Also, Universal and Disney are high quality products and I think they're all worth the price. USH doesn't have a LOT to offer but that's why an annual pass is a good investment.

And I'm Florida, Universal's parks have been more innovative than Disney's have been in at least over 6 years or so, if not more in certain parks. They're also very different experiences.

Whatever comes to Hollywood, I'm gonna be thrilled, as long as it's capped off at no more than two rides.

And Adri, as a fellow potterhead, while I KINDA agree with you, SOME creative license HAS to be taken to make sense in a theme park. It's an alternate universe afterall.

Hogsmeade isn't that close to Hogwarts but it makes sense putting them a hit closer together in a theme park since you don't have that much space.

Also the basic plot of the ride/experience of the land (I dont think it's a spoiler) is that muggles are now for some reason invited to take tours of Hogwarts....from the book or movie stand point, this wouldnt EVER make sense unless yoy dive into some fan fictin world, but there are tiny things that are added to justify the experience cuz it IS a theme park afterall. I mean, there's a roller coaster in Hagrid's back yard.... ;)

Regarding Ollivander, he almost died in the books, and eventually will have died of old age anyway, wizards are mortal. Wizards and witches still would always need wands, so it in my opinion definitely makes sense to have a branch of Ollivanders in Hogsmeade. Also comvenient for the kids if they ever break their wands at school :p

Also, Wizards and Witches are all over the world and all have wands. They dont all travel to London/Diagon Alley to get a wand, each country has their own Wizarding worlds. Ollivander isnt the only wand maker is my point basically.

So small creative licenses that can make sense in the larger scope of things (especially in a theme park) make sense. Like im sure that the future Diagon Alley entrance wont be exclusively only through a tiny brick portal just from a logistics point, even if itsnt entirely accurate ;)

But something as random and HUGE as Gringotts plopped behind Hogwarts is pushing it and would piss me off haha.

Reactions: William