Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theme Park Careers

May 5, 2013
Hello everyone so Ive been asked many times to create this thread for those who wish to pursue a career in the theme park industry. I just think this thread could be very helpful to answer any questions people may have. So I will start this thread with my story. My name is Daniel, I'm 20 years old, and I live in New York City. For as long as I can remeber I have always wanted to be part of a team that brings theme park lands and rides to life. Like a lot of people my age who want to pursue a career in the theme park industry, I had no idea where to begin! It wasn't until I found Orlando United and posted in one of the forums and got the answers I needed to get some direction in how to begin a career in the industry. Now almost a year later from when I first posted my questions to this site I can happily say I have begun my very long journey to a career in theme park design. I am currently an architecture student here in New York, but plan to move to Florida in the Fall to join an architecture program at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, and to hopefully begin interning with theme parks. I also dream to be a scare actor for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights 26 so I finally can say I have begun working for the place of my dreams. Cheesy I know, but I truly have such a love for Universal Studios and with what I dream to do with my life. I hope that this thread can answer some dire questions that people may have. Even if this thread helps just one person I would be happy.

Unless you are looking for a creative position, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT move from NYC to Orlando for a Theme Park job.
And make sure the job is secured before you move, too. lol.

Thank you for your reply and it's my dream to one day earn a creative position. I am moving because I want to continue my college learning in Florida so that I can apply for internships and begin working as a scare actor and/or any other first theme park job...Hopefully for Universal of course :clap:

Thank you for your reply and it's my dream to one day earn a creative position. I am moving because I want to continue my college learning in Florida so that I can apply for internships and begin working as a scare actor and/or any other first theme park job...Hopefully for Universal of course :clap:
If you want to get into creative, i'd get an Engineering Degree and then try and get in with Universal Creative. It's virtually impossibly to get anywhere without a degree and trust me, while free theme park admission is nice and Universal is definitely better to it's employees than Disney, it's not something you want to up and move for if it's only a front line position.

Stick to New York, get an art degree with the Pratt Institute/ engineering degree somewhere else. and then apply for paid internships/jobs with creative. Being a member of the Ops team at a theme park in Orlando is never a good way to get your foot in the door in this industry. I've seen your exact story play out way too many times where people get stuck living in an apartment with 5 other people because they cant afford to make it on a theme park wage. Be patient, make yourself marketable, and then pursue it. :)

Working creative in any capacity is an end goal in a career, not a starting point. Focus on your studies and getting a solid job, have a side passion project or ideas and present when it comes the time. Theme parks aren't like normal career paths unless you want to go to grad school and get lucky.

Not related to working front of house: Does anyone have any knowledge of what working at Universal's call centers are like? I've worked at the main call center for the largest car-rental broker in the world for the last decade or so, and I'm trying to find something to do for a potential move down to the Orlando area.

Thank you everyone so much for all your responses! I do plan on focusing strictly on my studies, but I also do wish to begin as an Ops team member not solely to get my foot in the door, but because I so desperately wish every day to work for Universal. I love everything there is to love about Universal and I just want to work there as soon as possible to help with all that their family does. I understand that working creative is the end goal in my career choice, but I want to gain as much experience as I possibly can and see what Universal looks like from a ride operators, scare actors, or even a regular costume actor's perspective. I know I have big dreams, but I have so much passion for what I want to do and for Universal. I will make myself marketable, but I just feel like there is so much that I can learn within the parks on the way. :smile:

Last edited:
I have no clue what college you are going to now, but make sure you are moving up and not down. UCF is probably not a better school than most NYC schools. Getting that internship and first job really sets up your career and what school you go to does matter for those things. Being "close" really doesn't matter.

Excellent recommendations everyone.

The only thing that I would add is that a minor in art or art history on top of any kind of engineering degree wouldn't hurt. Plus, UC and Disney isn't the only game in town. You would be wise to open your mind to the vendor companies that both Disney and UC rely on. That is where much of the design and creativity happen. Once it is accepted... UC releases it through marketing and everyone thinks it was actually done at UC.

Don't get me wrong, there are creative people at both Dis and Uni, however, when it comes to work, most become project directors of some capacity. They accept, nix and pass final judgement.

If you look at LinkedIn Profiles of many creative people, they seem to switch often. Almost working as contractors between Uni and Disney, over the years, this goes for project managers, script writers, lighting and sound designers. They all move around regularly, and where their skills are needed at that point in time.

As alot of the work is project work, it makes sense, as different projects require different skills and experience that may not be found with salaried staff.

Please follow the advice in this thread and do not leave NYC for Orlando, at least not until your schooling is complete.

My other advice is to start small and start networking with some of the artists and design firms that Universal uses. The way things are going, the creative heads at Universal just come up with the idea and then sign off on it. The firms are national as well, so living in Orlando might even limit you. None of these places are going to take a risk on a new grad though, so get a portfolio together and a solid 5 years worth of good work post-grad.

If you're dream is to be a scareactor, fine, do it, but it won't help you get a job in creative at all. Universal isn't like Disney in the 60s and 70s where all of the imagineers worked at rides in the park. It just doesn't work that way any more.

If you look at LinkedIn Profiles of many creative people, they seem to switch often. Almost working as contractors between Uni and Disney, over the years, this goes for project managers, script writers, lighting and sound designers. They all move around regularly, and where their skills are needed at that point in time.

As alot of the work is project work, it makes sense, as different projects require different skills and experience that may not be found with salaried staff.

And he'll go way further "networking" on LinkedIn than he will with a bunch of 18-20 somethings in Ride Ops.

Thank you everyone so much for all your responses! I do plan on focusing strictly on my studies, but I also do wish to begin as an Ops team member not solely to get my foot in the door, but because I so desperately wish every day to work for Universal. I love everything there is to love about Universal and I just want to work there as soon as possible to help with all that their family does. I understand that working creative is the end goal in my career choice, but I want to gain as much experience as I possibly can and see what Universal looks like from a ride operators, scare actors, or even a regular costume actor's perspective. I know I have big dreams, but I have so much passion for what I want to do and for Universal. I will make myself marketable, but I just feel like there is so much that I can learn within the parks on the way. :smile:

You're obviously not going to take the advice of people on here, which is honest, straight-forward, and worth its weight in gold. Instead, you plan to do exactly what you intended to do before ever creating this thread. Are you looking for attention? Your current plan sucks. Stick to New York and do what the OU members recommend. If you don't, you're simply not as serious about being in creative as you say you are. I hope you remember this thread someday when you're living on Kirkman and can't afford to pay your rent ;).

I hate to sound harsh - but you're falling into the same trap thousands before you have.

Wowsa.

These are some pretty harsh replies, despite the aspects of realism.

If going to school and being able to work at universal will make you happy? DO IT. NYC isn't s*** if you aren't happy with what's around you. Follow your happiness.

There are still plenty of people higher up in theme parks that all started low. Events and Ops LOVE to promote from within.

MAYBE props that you're brave to admit and pursue something you love. And if it doesn't work out? YOU TRIED. And you're not working a job you hate, cruising message boards and lambasting a 20 y/o for following and pursuing his HAPPINESS.

Wowsa.

These are some pretty harsh replies, despite the aspects of realism.

If going to school and being able to work at universal will make you happy? DO IT. NYC isn't s*** if you aren't happy with what's around you. Follow your happiness.

There are still plenty of people higher up in theme parks that all started low. Events and Ops LOVE to promote from within.

MAYBE props that you're brave to admit and pursue something you love. And if it doesn't work out? YOU TRIED. And you're not working a job you hate, cruising message boards and lambasting a 20 y/o for following and pursuing his HAPPINESS.

(Some of this I posted before the server crash and was deleted)

We are being harsh for a reason. I actually love my job. Why? Because I went to a school known for my major (was actually one of the first schools to do my major), I networked, and because of that got a good first job that propelled me from there. When I was in school I took a 3D computer animation class. My teacher knew a ton of people in the industry and almost everyone in the class was majoring in something to do with it. He let me in because I had taken one of his other classes and he was hoping to talk me into switching majors. The point of all this, I went to Penn State, pretty far from California and all the places like Pixar. Yet many graduates of his ended up working for Pixar and other California based companies because he would hand pick the ones he thought that could make it and used his contacts to get them internships and/or jobs. I bet you all those guys are pretty happy with their jobs, or at least when they came back to talk us students they were happy. Going to school "near" your dream job doesn't mean you have an advantage over someone who goes to school far from their dream job.

Our points are that moving to Central Florida would very well get him a cast member job that might make him temporarily happy, but in the long run will he be happy 10 or 20 years from now when he still hasn't gotten into creative? He still is not working where he wants to be working because he didn't go to a school that will get him the contacts and networking he needs to get his dream job. Other are saying that working for Disney or Universal in general may not get him his dream job because many of his dream jobs are outsourced to other companies.

It is all valid advise and we are trying to help him, not make him miserable. You are making a lot of assumptions about the people trying to help him.

(Some of this I posted before the server crash and was deleted)

We are being harsh for a reason. I actually love my job. Why? Because I went to a school known for my major (was actually one of the first schools to do my major), I networked, and because of that got a good first job that propelled me from there. When I was in school I took a 3D computer animation class. My teacher knew a ton of people in the industry and almost everyone in the class was majoring in something to do with it. He let me in because I had taken one of his other classes and he was hoping to talk me into switching majors. The point of all this, I went to Penn State, pretty far from California and all the places like Pixar. Yet many graduates of his ended up working for Pixar and other California based companies because he would hand pick the ones he thought that could make it and used his contacts to get them internships and/or jobs. I bet you all those guys are pretty happy with their jobs, or at least when they came back to talk us students they were happy. Going to school "near" your dream job doesn't mean you have an advantage over someone who goes to school far from their dream job.

Our points are that moving to Central Florida would very well get him a cast member job that might make him temporarily happy, but in the long run will he be happy 10 or 20 years from now when he still hasn't gotten into creative? He still is not working where he wants to be working because he didn't go to a school that will get him the contacts and networking he needs to get his dream job. Other are saying that working for Disney or Universal in general may not get him his dream job because many of his dream jobs are outsourced to other companies.

It is all valid advise and we are trying to help him, not make him miserable. You are making a lot of assumptions about the people trying to help him.

There are many different paths and many different ways to achieve goals or happiness. I just don't think anyone should belittle him for being honest and opening a dialogue.

He probably has ZERO clue as to what he really wants to do in the industry because he is not in it. He's making moves and while his goals may be high and you may not agree with the path that could/could not work for him, he shouldn't be belittled.

He's made the decision. We can disagree but we don't need to talk down to him.

We all know people who started out as actors or skippers who are now with jobs they love in many different aspects and paths within Universal.

There are many different paths and many different ways to achieve goals or happiness. I just don't think anyone should belittle him for being honest and opening a dialogue.

He probably has ZERO clue as to what he really wants to do in the industry because he is not in it. He's making moves and while his goals may be high and you may not agree with the path that could/could not work for him, he shouldn't be belittled.

He's made the decision. We can disagree but we don't need to talk down to him.

We all know people who started out as actors or skippers who are now with jobs they love in many different aspects and paths within Universal.

Those people got lucky and had talent (and were lucky to show said talent too). The paths we described reduces the luck involved and allows for the OP to showcase their talents. Just because I know someone who worked at the Apple Store and now works corporate doesn't meant it's the best way to get a job at Apple corporate.

Those people got lucky and had talent (and were lucky to show said talent too). The paths we described reduces the luck involved and allows for the OP to showcase their talents. Just because I know someone who worked at the Apple Store and now works corporate doesn't meant it's the best way to get a job at Apple corporate.
I don't disagree w you and I know a lot of times those folks are the exception not the rule.

I think several of those folks would be very offended by you calling their hard work luck.

I don't disagree w you and I know a lot of times those folks are the exception not the rule.

I think several of those folks would be very offended by you calling their hard work luck.

I'm not calling their hard work luck, I meant they had a lot of luck to get the chance to show their hard work.

Nobody is belittling him. As a matter of fact, let me refresh your memory on exactly what he said:

For as long as I can remeber I have always wanted to be part of a team that brings theme park lands and rides to life. Like a lot of people my age who want to pursue a career in the theme park industry, I had no idea where to begin!

If you come here looking for advice, you should accept responses regardless of whether or not you agree with the advice. Fortunately for him, you have an overwhelming response of people telling him to stick to NY until he finishes his degree. Yes, you're going to have the anomaly of people who start as a ride operator and make it into a creative roll, but the majority of people fall into a trap.

It's like wagering a bet. Do you want to put all your cash into a method with a proven track record of success, or do you want to do things your way? If all you want is to do things your way, you have no business creating threads like this in the first place.