Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2014
Glasgow
*mod edit*

With Universal Orlando's CityWalk reopening on May 14, Disney Springs reopening May 20, and Disney owned locations reopening May 27, lets split out the discussion of theme parks and shopping districts reopening into a new thread.

Discuss all the general information, details, personal experiences, policies, and more in this thread. For a paired down, information only post check out Theme Park COVID-19 Policies and Procedures thread.

*mod edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
With Universal Orlando's CityWalk reopening on May 14, Disney Springs reopening May 20, and Disney owned locations reopening May 27, lets split out the discussion of theme parks and shopping districts reopening into a new thread.

Discuss all the general information, details, personal experiences, policies, and more in this thread. For a paired down, information only post check out Theme Park COVID-19 Policies and Procedures thread.

One of the better trip report vlogs to CityWalk. Interesting note that only a manager can tell someone to put on a face mask or leave, not any TM. Probably a legal thing.

Really solid video. That guy seems genuinely nice.

But also from that video:
C23F21DF-1AD1-4C39-BF86-BBD3D2717F78.jpeg

Why, lady? Why?!?

If you followed my Twitter on Thursday, you should know that I felt very comfortable at CityWalk.

I really toiled with the idea of bailing when I saw the cars lined up at the garage waiting for the opening bell. Luckily, it seemed that was the only time it was "packed" and everything went smooth for me. Everyone was following guidelines, and other than a few hiccups that were posted on social media, it seemed they reacted quickly to adjust.

I felt OK with going as Universal was enforcing the masks and guidelines pretty strictly. I also had control on moving away if someone got a little too close.

I'm still not 100% on eating in the dine-in, but I'm totally fine with visiting the outside portions and mobile ordering.

And as I stated on Twitter, I felt safer with the strict guidelines at Universal than the loose guidelines at the grocery store.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Disney Springs. Citywalk seems to have gone well, but Universal doesn't attract the nuts that Disney does.

Media tour of Disney Springs

Sigh, it looks like Individual temp checks instead of the thermal camera. At least this will provide a one on one opportunity for anyone that appears to be breaking rules to be confronted before entry.

Edited to add: I just realized that their temp check points are sponsored by Advent Health, which I find to be hilarious.

So is this a full security setup at Disney Springs or just Temp and mask checks? It’d probably be smart of them to just permanently implement security in these spots.

On her report on WESH Amanda Dukes said they're only allowing entry through the Orange and Lime Garages. Once they're full, they're at capacity though Disney won't say what the capacity is.

What time does Disney Springs open tomorrow? Do they have limited hours? I can't seem to find anything about that anywhere.

So CityWalk is using markers for people to stand on and Disney is doing the same a Shanghai and using places NOT to stand on. That won't confuse tourists at all...
1e4a0167_scaled.jpg

I'd think Universal's system is easier for people to follow, and it accentuates the 'positive' rather than the 'negative'. ... Plus it's similar to what most other businesses are doing.
My gut instinct is with you in thinking that it's easier to tell people where to stand, but Disney has done a bunch of research on this (which they talked a lot about during the SDL Press Stuff) and it honestly makes sense. Think back to the Red Oven Line on Twitter that everyone made fun of for not being distanced. When you have small markers that tell you to stand in a certain spot, and there are multiple people in that party, they naturally fan out a bit. All of a sudden, your six feet (when surrounded by two parties) becomes closer to 3 feet. Here, Disney is directly telling people where not to stand, ensuring that everyone in the group remains 6 feet from everyone in the adjacent group. While the Universal method will be more common (It's way cheaper to have tiny decals than huge ones), I'd bet that Disney's proves more effective for ensuring proper distancing.

My gut instinct is with you in thinking that it's easier to tell people where to stand, but Disney has done a bunch of research on this (which they talked a lot about during the SDL Press Stuff) and it honestly makes sense. Think back to the Red Oven Line on Twitter that everyone made fun of for not being distanced. When you have small markers that tell you to stand in a certain spot, and there are multiple people in that party, they naturally fan out a bit. All of a sudden, your six feet (when surrounded by two parties) becomes closer to 3 feet. Here, Disney is directly telling people where not to stand, ensuring that everyone in the group remains 6 feet from everyone in the adjacent group. While the Universal method will be more common (It's way cheaper to have tiny decals than huge ones), I'd bet that Disney's proves more effective for ensuring proper distancing.
I agree that this should avoid people bunching up since there's a huge markers between you and the next party. This shows a good distance between each other as long as they maintain their distance.
1e4a0112_scaled.jpg

I initially agree with MD but in reality, this is something we'll have to see in practice. One thing is Disney's inconsistent with their deployment, some are "stand here" and some are "don't stand here".

Status
Not open for further replies.