Thunderbird at Holiday World | Inside Universal Forums

Thunderbird at Holiday World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 20, 2009
Isla Nublar
Holiday World announced last night that Thunderbird, a launched B&M Wing Coaster, will be the latest addition to the park, opening in 2015. From their official site:

DESCRIPTION:
Thunderbird is the nation’s first launched wing coaster. It is Holiday World’s first major steel roller coaster, with a 0-60mph launch in 3.5 seconds, followed by multiple inversions – including a 14-story Immelmann loop, Zero-g roll, barrel roll, and loop. Continuing Holiday World’s tradition of sending roller coasters through thickly wooded and hilly terrain, Thunderbird at first soars and loops high in the air and then hugs the ground, surprising riders with rapid-fire “near misses” such as keyholes, themed elements, other rides, trees, and even the ground.

TRACK LENGTH: 3,035 feet

RIDE HEIGHT: 140 feet at Immelmann loop’s peak

RIDE ELEMENTS:

From start to finish:

Launch, using LSM technology
Immelmann loop
Loop
Horseshoe
Elevated Spiral
Zero-G roll
S curve
2 “headchopper” keyholes
Carousel
360 in-line twist (barrel roll)
2 Crossovers with The Voyage
SPEED: Thunderbird’s top speed is 60 miles per hour

RIDE TIME: 1 minute, 18 seconds (station to station)

RIDE VIDEO: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

TRAINS: Two trains, each with five four-person coaches

CAPACITY: 1,140 Guests per hour

HEIGHT LIMIT: Riders must be at least 52 inches tall

INVESTMENT: $22 million

RIDE DESIGNER: Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), Switzerland

LEGEND: In 1620, as the Mayflower neared the end of its 66 days at sea, a mighty storm nearly capsized the ship, taking it hundreds of miles off course. As passengers and crew feared all was lost, an immense bird appeared in the sky. The thunderbird, whose wings created the thunder and eyes flashed the lightning of the powerful storm, rescued the ship by launching it through the sky to the New World.

[video=youtube;7bHlsalc82o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHlsalc82o[/video]

[video=youtube;ug5BVooKy2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5BVooKy2E[/video]

Anyone who has followed Holiday World closely over the years knows how HUGE this is for the park, and I cannot wait to make it up there next year!

Now hat is ride, looks awesome. Some nicely themed areas around he ride too.

Really interesting to see a B&M launch.

I think Hulks launch was a combo of in house along with a 3rd party.

A quick google search shows a company called MTS had a hand with the launch also but im not familiar them or the scope they had with the attraction. http://www.mts.com/en/index.htm

From Wikipedia
Manufacturing and design for Universal Parks & Resorts, including the hydraulic launch system for the Incredible Hulk Coaster; the ride systems for The Cat in the Hat and Men in Black: Alien Attack at Universal Orlando, and Jaws at Universal Studios Japan;[12][13] as well as the dinosaurs at Islands of Adventure's Jurassic Park River Adventure.

Two questions I have:

1) Is this only the second B&M launched coaster? I've been out of the coaster loop for the last few years.
2) Can someone explain why this coaster would have LSM tech and a flywheel? Does an LSM rotate the flywheel somehow? Excuse my mechanical engineering ignorance.

After riding Flüg der Dämonen at Heide Park, I'm pretty excited for how this Wing Coaster will be. And a launched B&M?! It's been rumored for years, but man it finally happened! :happy:

Hopefully Seaworld and Busch Gardens are taking note :)
This looks cool!

I don't get the flywheel thing, I think something got miscommunicated. Interesting that B&M finally will design its own launches.

Screamscape reported this about the launch system (a few days ago):

2015 - Thunderbird - Under Construction - (7/31/14) Thanks to everyone who sent in their assumed explanation about Thunderbird’s inclusion of LSM and Flywheel technology for the launch system. I now have the official explanation from the park’s Paula Werne and VP of Development & Maintenance, James Olliver.
The B&M launch system itself will be the typical LSM magnetic launch system you would expect to find on a ride like this, launching the trains purely through elecrto-magnetic force, without the use of any kind of “cable driven pull device like Dragster”. As for the flywheel inside the “Will Power” building, “The flywheel is used to generate the large electrical current required to power the LSMs. This is possible because the flywheel is connected to an electric generator.”
From what Paula also explained to the CoasterRadio.com podcast, Holiday World first added their very own power substation next to the park last year. They were surprised that no one really picked up on this fact, as it was needed to increase the power service to the park to accommodate the huge additional draw an LSM launch coaster would put on the local power grid. So from what I understand, the substation sends power to the flywheel for storage, which then releases it all at once into the LSM launch system, allowing the coaster to operate without dimming the lights across all of Santa Claus, Indiana every few minutes all day long.