Tokyo Travels | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tokyo Travels

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I actually like Sindbad even more than Pooh, just because of how wonderfully long the ride is.

I think the reason for the lack of lines has to do with its extremely high capacity and general location in the park. It's an original TDS ride, and is far removed from the headliners (TOT, JTTCOE and Indy). TSMM is of course the latest and greatest and even though Indy is in close proximity people are still drawn to raging spirits. I don't think it is for lack of general interest, it's just not the ride people run to and therefore with its crowd eating nature a line never forms.

Or perhaps the Japanese still haven't gotten over the original (which I fortunately didn't know about until after my second visit to the resort). I'd youtube the original. It's like if you suddenly found out Small World used to be about a world full of murderous dolls before they removed the knives from their hands, changed their frowns to smiles and added a catchy tune.

*shudder*

Thanks for the overwhelming responses! I'm glad I sold some people on the beauty of TDR. ;)

I think there are a lot of reasons why Sinbad doesn't receive long lines. I agree, I think it's still pretty popular in the sense that people like it. Sinbad does give Pooh a run for its money. It's really magnificent and my second favorite ride in TDS after Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Chapter 5:
In which we wrap up the first day

Next up was Raging Spirits. I read recently that they retracked it and it's supposedly smooth now. I didn't notice much roughness, but it still wasn't a very enjoyable ride, especially considering how cool it could have been. It would have been quite ambitious if they included the whole Indy and the Lost Expedition complex at TDS, but I don't think that was even on the radar. Either way, a temple mine ride has a ton of potential. Raging Spirits wasn't a bad ride, but it wasn't very fun either. You couldn't see much because of the seating arrangement.

Overall, it had more theming and provided a smoother ride than it's French sister.

zjciQY7.jpg

Well, it looked good! The fire effects were a nice touch.

ynLTx0P.jpg

This sign was better than the ride.

eECoUzo.jpg

It wasn't bad... just boring.

bPtROJR.jpg

It was themed pretty well... you just couldn't see most of it because of the oppressive over-the-shoulder restraints.

WQY8nDV.jpg

It was really the only ride in DisneySea that I didn't love. Picture the train going through the loop. It would have been a much cooler pictures if I had more patience.

U3LGKya.jpg

It just could have been much cooler. It's kind of like Kali River Rapids. Great theming, cool concept, but it doesn't come together.

R9zkebw.jpg

The coolest part of the ride was the mist filled finale. A huge ring of mist comes out when the car passes through; I just caught the tail end of the park. The theming is quite layered. But you can see that the trains give you little room to enjoy any scenery. The DLP version is really stripped of its theming of comparison.

rz0Mpaw.jpg

We picked up some Indy fastpasses and then headed to Mysterious Island for another round of Journey.

8IGha6v.jpg

Indy's temple looked great against the sky! Very dramatic. Now that's a temple

l9xVjLZ.jpg

Still in Japan. The foliage has grown in beautifully in under 15 years.

LUAVn76.jpg

This part of Lost River Delta is soooo detailed. TDS loves their boats and docks.

FZuMH6F.jpg

Look at that aging. I didn't notice that shack on the very left of the picture, but it has some quality textures on it!

pBaHW00.jpg

It's the Uncanny Valley of theme park design.

DzSK0Zt.jpg

Cutting through the upper part of Port Discovery to get to Mysterious Island...

TdpEqCY.jpg

Mysterious Panorama!

3yraelz.jpg

The evening lighting finally allowed me to get a good picture of the drilling machine! It's quite intricate. We used our Fastpasses to take another whirl on Journey. As always, it didn't disappoint. I think we did it 5 times the first day. We kept getting Fastpasses every hour for an attraction, and we usually defaulted to Journey to the Center of the Earth because of its central location.

HcSfrpW.jpg

On leaving Mysterious Island we noticed the Legend of Mythica was in the middle of its performance.

mAxtzr5.jpg

We climbed to the top of Fortress Exploration for a great view.

UWcdeh7.jpg

O! Shriki Tower!

AsBiB0s.jpg

Not quite sure what was going on, but it looked pretty cool!

KKzYVsb.jpg

There were pyrotechnics. And fire!

1G7xpR2.jpg

I loved the set up the best. It seemed like it had great viewing capacity.

ltec4m3.jpg

Fortress Exploration spires and Shriki Tower.

2IN8eQK.jpg

Crowds viewing Legend of Mythica. It was nice that the whole "stage" had such a big perimeter. The crowds of people watching it didn't have to go very deep so everyone got a pretty good view.

2rFQqv5.jpg

On leaving our viewing deck we got a little taste of Fortress Exploration.

WcJH7b2.jpg

You rotated the wheels to spin the planets. Yay astronomy!

t8FIDnx.jpg

Weather vane or whether vein?

SDhkmlj.jpg

What a lovely ship.

5AZ7T7R.jpg

Der Renaissance

VvP6xWJ.jpg

You could explore it, of course. And it was home to several highly detailed indoor scenes.

o2oSBTB.jpg

This is the most I could brighten it.

8d5wpDl.jpg

Tower of Terror really demands your attention.

Tangent, I'm currently listening to the BraviSEAmo soundtrack. Why'd they have to get rid of it? :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVaNG73-rlQ
Listen to it, it's quite epic. And it will never be used again. :-[

MBCaBs2.jpg

THE Disney Mountain. Anyone else still bitter about how the Disney Mountains book dedicates about 30 pages to Expedition Everest acting like it's the greatest thing since Disneyland while it only devotes 4 pages to Mount Prometheus (which includes 2 attractions and 2 restaurants!)? I am. :mad:

NKZCk2O.jpg

I bet S.E.A. pays DisneySEA a pretty penny to keep their ship in pristine condition.

UoO0Ho7.jpg

Prometheus morphs depending on where you're viewing it.

czcPm9S.jpg

One show ends, the set up for the next show begins. Unfortunately, that next show is Fantasmic! (including obligatory explanation point) and not BraviSEAmo (which has a WAY cooler name).

PU6sGsQ.jpg

Those clouds can make even me look like a good photographer!

sDAcLEy.jpg

Next stop: Ristorante di Canaletto for another amazing meal.

1Vnn7qk.jpg

This might just be my favorite spot in any theme park ever. BraviSEAmo.

jkSseEh.jpg

There was a 10 minute wait for our table to be ready so we explored this area before eating. This little entrance path to the restaurant was very elegant.

rjvQp4S.jpg

So I got some pretty epic pictures because of the awesome sky.

kkBOLLl.jpg

Sunset at the best theme park in the world.

lVZIwha.jpg

Venetian gondolas and an exploding volcano. And there's Nautalis. The carousel that begins you through the castle (Fortress Exploration) and into Mysterious Island, as I've heard it described.

Are you still listening to the BraviSEAmo music? Because just writing this trip report seems epic with this music in the background.

NA1eaFG.jpg

I need new adjectives to describe this level of perfection. How about this. New word of the day: DisneySEA (n.) - something that has the characteristic of being perfect, beautiful, and awe-inspiring. EX: The movie Spirited Away was so DisneySea!

I expect any member who has read this to start using this word from now on.

0k3echK.jpg

That's so DisneySea! Now, that's a show that will never be shown on Disney Channel because he all know how Disney gives DisneySea the cold shoulder. :mad:

stQE6AB.jpg

We headed to the canals, but as always, the stopped us to close them for a show. We kept just missing them! We think they thought to themselves "OK, we'll stop the line at the white people." Seriously! Whenever we went through the Fastpass line, we were the last ones they let through. Which actually worked in our favor.

lscC2LI.jpg

We got some gelato. Would you look at that Trompe-l'oeil!

Mpft3PQ.jpg

Hai!

eVeOlMH.jpg

The most beautiful Disney hotel too!

RQhD1YY.jpg

The lights flicker on... And the park takes on a new form of beauty.

Nvpw3ea.jpg

Look at those weenies! No, not like that!

2NsxCrk.jpg

The Hilton was nice, but I think next time we're staying here.

VPss2Vs.jpg

I'm never going to another theme park again. Just Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. I definitely can't corrupt this beautiful memory by going back to Disneyland anytime soon!

Nkc4yzN.jpg

All the elements collide so beautifully.

V3IS5tV.jpg

We were quickly losing our energy. It was only around 7:00, but we had gotten up around 3:00 in the morning because of the treacherous time change. We decided we'd use our Indy fastpasses for the last ride of the day.

Y2EfkRy.jpg

Each land adapts to the night very well. Lost River delta was lit by torches using real fire.

DK5mNaM.jpg

Indy's temple is a little more impressive than its DL counterpart. Although the ride was far superior than the DL original, one part that bugged me was that the John Williams score cut out at some parts. The orchestration on the original is still the best. But in every other respect, the TDS version is better.

c2NNWej.jpg

After Indy we circled around the park the other way through Mermaid Lagoon and Mysterious Island.

iuSz0TQ.jpg

The evening sky finally gave me a chance to take a good picture of King Triton's supurbly detailed Castle.
Oh, and is it just me, or have there been a lot of planes captured in the sky of these pictures? I guess we were close to the Narita flight path.

aSxkHsk.jpg

Mysterious Island pulsates with thermal energy at night.

...And that concludes day 1 of this trip report! Thanks for reading!!!

Coming Soon: The greatest Disney ride ever and other amazingness at TOKYO DISNEYLAND ;D

I don't usually post things like this, but I love reading this trip report. I seriously got excited to see that you had posted another installment. Everything is worded great and your pictures are phenomenal! This has got to be the next best thing to actually being there in Japan. I'm glad you had such a great trip, and thank you so much for sharing it with us; keep the updates coming as much as possible!!!

Wow. This brings me back so much. I visited Tokyo Disney Resort back in 2008 and absolutely loved it. I stayed in the Hilton Tokyo Bay too. I'm just surprised to see they haven't added much in 5 years since I've been. Was it just Toy Story Mania and Fantasmic?