Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Top 10 Rides in SoCal

Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Since there's a top 5 for Orlando, I thought it would only be fair to do one for SoCal...but if you're lazy and want to do just top five, that's fine.

Alright, here are mine:

-Indiana Jones
-Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Almost a tie for me)
-Twisted Colossus
-Hangtime
-Xcellerator
-Tatsu
-Justice League
-Manta
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Transformers

EDIT: Don’t ask me how, but I forgot that I preferred JL over Transformers haha.

Last edited:
-Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
-Space Mountain
-Indiana Jones
-Ghost Rider
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Twisted Colossus
-Xcelerator
-Manta
-Justice League: Battle for Metropolis
-Transformers

Keep in mind I haven't been to DL since 2011 and to SFMM since 2014 (and Knotts since 2015)

1: Forbidden Journey
2: Indy
3: Silver Bullet
4: Tatsu
5: Xcelerator
6: Splash
7: Transformers
8: Timber Mountain/Calico
9: Alice
10: Haunted Mansion (Holiday)

:bolt:

1. Indiana Jones
  2. Forbidden Journey
  3. Ghost Rider
  4. Space Mountain
  5. Tatsu
  6. Incredicoaster
  7. Jurassic Park
  8. Timber Mountain Log Ride
  9. Twisted Colossus
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean
Honorable Mentions: Guardians of the Galaxy, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Grizzly River Run, Goofy's Sky School, Splash Mountain, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Transformers, E.T., Back to the Future, Universal Studio Tour, Journey to Atlantis, Electric Eel, Xcelerator, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Batman, Riddler's Revenge, Scream, Justice League, Goldrusher, Terminator: Salvation

1) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
2) Space Mountain
3) Indiana Jones
4) Transformers
5) Haunted Mansion
6) Excelerator
7) Manta
8) Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
9) Spash Mountain
10) Journey To Atlantis

Couple of things:
Only used rides currently open otherwise JP would have had the #3 slot bumping everything behind down 1

Studio Tour is technically my favorite thing I have ever done at a park in the world period. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- it’s truly one of a kind, several rides, shows, experiences and a tour allroled into a 50 minute attraction unmatched. It’s to big to be classified as just a ride though.

I will be at both Knotts Berry Farms and the Disneyland Resort next week which each have new rides(or redone at least) so there may be some shakeups.

excluding MM because I have not been in a while.
  1. GhostRider
  2. Forbidden Journey
  3. Mummy (underrated in my opinion)
  4. Silver Bullet
  5. Space Mountain
  6. Pirates
  7. Big Thunder Mountain
  8. Indiana Jones
  9. Sierra Sidewinder
  10. Jurassic Park (soon World)
I agree that the Studio tour is exceptional and is one of the best things about Universal. I know I am going to get slammed for the Mummy but it is only one of the few coasters at Uni and I ride it 5 - 10 times a week. Also find Sierra Sidewinder a great re-ridable experience as the spinning element gives a different ride every time.

excluding MM because I have not been in a while.
  1. GhostRider
  2. Forbidden Journey
  3. Mummy (underrated in my opinion)
  4. Silver Bullet
  5. Space Mountain
  6. Pirates
  7. Big Thunder Mountain
  8. Indiana Jones
  9. Sierra Sidewinder
  10. Jurassic Park (soon World)
I agree that the Studio tour is exceptional and is one of the best things about Universal. I know I am going to get slammed for the Mummy but it is only one of the few coasters at Uni and I ride it 5 - 10 times a week. Also find Sierra Sidewinder a great re-ridable experience as the spinning element gives a different ride every time.
I agree that the mummy is very underrated. I believe most neglect it for the fact that it is considered the inferior version compared to Orlando. While I may semi agree(but not completely) I would argue that it is a completely different ride than Orlando’s(and Singapore’s) which gives it a very unique charm that gets lost on some. The layout and scenes are original to Hollywood which I really enjoy.

Sierra sidewinder is a good call too, really really fun ride.

2) Space Mountain
3) Indiana Jones
4) Transformers
5) Haunted Mansion
6) Excelerator
7) Manta
9) Spash Mountain
10) Journey To Atlantis

Couple of things:
Only used rides currently open otherwise JP would have had the #3 slot bumping everything behind down 1

Studio Tour is technically my favorite thing I have ever done at a park in the world period. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- it’s truly one of a kind, several rides, shows, experiences and a tour allroled into a 50 minute attraction unmatched. It’s to big to be classified as just a ride though.

I will be at both Knotts Berry Farms and the Disneyland Resort next week which each have new rides(or redone at least) so there may be some shakeups.
Editing my list after my trip last week....

2) Space Mountain
3) Indiana Jones
4) Transformers
5) Haunted Mansion
6) GhostRider
7) Manta
9) Spash Mountain
10) Incredicoaster

Changes- I bumped Xcelerator from the list. Reasons for this is while I still love the ride and that initial take off and climb is beauty to behold it was rather a quick climax. Great start no finish.

Also GhostRider was just a beautiful thing this go around. For a wooden coaster it is remarkably smooth, great length, ridiculously thrilling and yeah just a perfect experience all around. My daughter also gave it high praise saying that was the best one(coaster) she has ever done.

Also sadly I bumped Journey to Atlantis from the list and replaced it with the Incredicoaster. While the overlay theming may have seemed minimal the overall effects provided were just awesome(also I absolutely adore the Incredibles). It was really quite wonderful for what they did.

Shout out to GotG: Mission Breakout truly fun as hell, with that said I am not over the removal of ToT just yet so give me time and maybe you will climb onto the list.

Reactions: DTH
I don't see the appeal of Manta? Not that fast, high, hang time, theme, or long. I'd rather ride Jaguar. Eletric Eel was way more thrilling for me.

Just discovered this thread. My list is based on overall experience and not necessarily based on extreme thrills, which is why SFMM rides aren't on the main list, but are in the honorable mentions. Note: Haven't been on Twisted Colossus yet, but it looks like it could possibly make this list.

1. Indiana Jones Adventure - Groundbreaking ride tech for its time that's still a timeless classic. Some of the best visuals from a dark ride, especially going over the bridge.
2. Forbidden Journey - Needs no explanation.
3. Transformers - Great blend of practical sets, screens and use of 3D.
4. The Studio Tour - There's no other experience like it.
5. Radiator Springs Racer - Best blend of dark ride and outdoor thrills.
6. Big Thunder Mountain - It's like the best of both worlds from Calico Mine Ride and Timber Mountain Log Ride, but in a more thrilling coaster version.
7. Hyper Space Mountain - Best version of SM.
8. Silver Bullet - Really smooth coaster with a great balance of elements.
9. Incredicoaster - Surprising, a really good overlay.
10. GhostRider - After its major overhaul, it's now an incredibly smooth woodie that provides great thrills.

Honorable mentions: Tatsu, X2, Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom (Only for my experience where we were stuck about 2/3 of the way up for about 20 minutes. No communication from ops saying how long it will take to fix. Then without warning, brakes released and we were grounded. Craziest f'n experience to be dangling roughly 250+ feet in the air for 20 minutes with no explanation.)