Top 5 in Entertainment (2019 Edition) | Inside Universal Forums

Top 5 in Entertainment (2019 Edition)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 6, 2016
2019 quite a year for experimental and great sources of media. Whether it be films, tv shows, or music I overall really enjoyed this year in terms of all. As the year will be ending in a couple days from now I thought I would create the thread for all to talk about their top 5 in entertainment for 2019.

Films:
1. The Irishman - Another incredible film by Scorsese that has amazing acting and breathtaking directing. Some of my favorite scenes of any films/shows of this year. Adore it.

2. The Lighthouse - I loved the VVitch and it's funny how much more accessible that film is compared to the the Lighthouse. Tons of deeper meanings to the film and fantastic acting by Pattinson and Dafoe.

3. Parasite - Totally not what I expected going into it completely subverted my whole expectations and became one of the smartest movies of the whole year. Please go check it out.

4. A Marriage Story - Just rewatched it and beautifully made film with wonderful acting from Johansson and Driver. It was the most 'real' movie of the year for me (If that makes any sense) absolutely great.

5. Joker - Joanquin Phoenix is terrific and gives the best performance of the year and the script is really smart and slick. It's a really thought provoking film that overall was fantastic to me.

(Honorable Mentions: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Jojo Rabbit, Doctor Sleep)

TV Shows:
1. Watchmen
2. The Boys
3. What We Do in the Shadows
4. The Mandalorian
5. ST S3

Great year for Media.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Not just 2019 but the 2010s as well. Deadpool helped breakthrough the popularity of mainstream R-rated superhero movies, something we're never seen since the Blade movies of the late 1990s-early 2000s. Logan came along and now Warner Bros. did the same for the Joker movie.

Reactions: HHNManics
In the decade for a Top 6..

Film
  1. The Shape of Water
  2. La La Land
  3. Knives Out
  4. Avengers Endgame
  5. Your Name
  6. Inside Out
Gaming
  1. The Last of Us
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Persona 5
  4. Oxenfree
  5. Final Fantasy XIV
  6. Gone Home

Movies [Haven't seen Knives Out or 1917 yet, I imagine either might end up on this list]

5) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – hated the end (basically once history diverges). But everything before it so good—particularly Brad Pitt and the soundtrack—that I still give it a pass despite myself. I think my anger at the tasteless twist stems from the fact the movie was leisurely but on its way to being Tarantino’s best, only to derail in those final scenes.

4) Shazam -- never cared for DC or Marvel’s versions of Capt Marvel, so surprised I enjoyed both companies’ movies in 2019. Giving the edge to this one because it was fun, had the more charismatic lead. But I found both better than Endgame (and never could work up the energy to bother seeing Joker, maybe when it hits HBO).

3) Ford v. Ferrari – the quintessential Dad movie. But dads need movies too. Damon and Bale are excellent, racing scenes managed to capture excitement of being there.

2) Booksmart -- both a perfect time capsule for 2019 culture and a timeless coming of age story. Lead actress has charisma and charm to spare. If you missed this in theaters like I did, go watch it on Hulu right now.

1) John Wick 3 – this movie melted my brain. Turned action stuntwork into art, fleshed out the back story of The Continental, still snuck in humor and pathos. Won’t win any real Oscars I know, but the best couple hours I spent in a theater all year long.

Honorable Mention: Aladdin (fun retelling), Capt. Marvel (as mentioned).

TV

5) “A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms” (Game of Thrones ep. 2) – as solid an episode as the series produced. Great character moments mixed in with call-backs to the books. Episode 3 would be uneven, 4 – 6 would grow increasingly worse, but this lone episode briefly convinced me the show was going to stick the landing.

4) The Boys – went in cold, and wow. The casual world-building the show does makes it work. Stellar cast, most notably Butcher and Homelander, and a compelling story that managed to be both a profound commentary on modern society and (darkly) funny at the same time.

3) The Righteous Gemstones – quite possibly the funniest show to ever air on TV, blending social satire and character-driven comedy. The entire cast brings their A-game. But despite being wildly funny, no one ever quite devolved into caricature.

2) The Mandolorian – the Star Wars I’ve been waiting for since 1980. Vote Baby Yoda 2020.

1) Watchmen – densely plotted, densely detailed. So many Easter eggs from the original comic. Had important things to say on sociopolitical matters, but didn’t preach. Amazing acting across the main cast. It may have been the most pretentious show on TV, but it was also the best.

Honorable Mention: Sunnyside (could've been this generation's Cheers given more time to grow), Mr Robot (didn't care for the finale but earlier episodes so well directed and acted that I still recommend the season), True Detective (the two leads are incredible playing characters in three different eras)