Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To say the coaster has no theming is a stretch. You literally walk inside of the box where the coaster pieces came out of. Then you see all these toys scattered all around the land with large wooden fences looming in the distance AND you're riding inside of SLINKY DOG.
Minimal theming is probably a better term

I agree, I think the "criticism" for this new land is a little silly. Yes, things could always be bigger and better, but they don't always have to be to be enjoyed by the public. Disney is also building a huge state of the art theme park land within 100 feet, so you know, cut them some slack.
If it didn't take up such a huge plot and have such low capacity attractions, I may agree

Man, what I wouldn't give to have this version of the land back.
I do wonder if they expand upon TSL ever - say a fourth ride for capacity - if they won't look back at that original concept art and add in some of the Woody's Round-Up elements.

That's honestly what I think makes the land feel most tacky. I can do without the trenches for the coaster, but the removal of the stuff at the entrance to the land was a big loss thematically and for the land as a whole. It took away a shop and what would've been a pretty nicely themed saloon area... the version we got feels a lot less complete.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052.jpg

While I agree that this looks a bit nicer, I don't think it's THAT much of a drastic change. the biggest change seems to be the ditches and cross over bridge, which may have been a "safety" issue. The track length is mostly in tact. It's not the end of the world. Even if they kept this original concept, most of you would still be complaining. Don't kid yourselves.

I'd also argue that the "western storefronts" don't really match the theme of "Andy's Backyard". I don't think he ever had "play sets" in the moives...of course I could be mistaken.

I'd also argue that the "western storefronts" don't really match the theme of "Andy's Backyard". I don't think he ever had "play sets" in the moives...of course I could be mistaken.
he had cardboard boxes he drew on, but that wouldn't be as pretty to look at. The western building wouldn't be THAT much of a stretch.

Theming and a seemingly better Slinky Coaster were the biggest ones.
The coaster and layout didn’t change- just the theming around it. In fact- the coaster is the only areas that uses all its space adequately.

We did lose the Toy barn as well.

Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052.jpg

Me too. If needed just a few more things than it has now. And as much as I’d prefer the cavern/rock work- thematically, it makes no sense. What, Andy dug a ditch for his train track to go into? I mean, there is a yellow shovel- so I guess he did :D

I would’ve preferred that much more as well.
Rockwork > trees all day err day for me

The coaster and layout didn’t change- just the theming around it.

It looks like the coaster layout did change. In the picture, you can see that the first launch/hill was completely different. It might not have been a launch at all, but rather a chain lift. It would have made the other launch a lot more thrilling, IMO. People who didn't know about the coaster beforehand would have gotten surprised by the launch.

While I agree that this looks a bit nicer, I don't think it's THAT much of a drastic change. the biggest change seems to be the ditches and cross over bridge, which may have been a "safety" issue. The track length is mostly in tact. It's not the end of the world. Even if they kept this original concept, most of you would still be complaining. Don't kid yourselves.

"even if they kept this original concept, most of you would still be complaining". You're right on with that observation. Most everyone was complaining about this expansion when the original concept art was released.

If you're ok with passable, then hat's off.

This is yet another Toy Story addition at a Disney Park that looks cheap and underwhelming; and for a land that's supposed to get the ball rolling on the complete makeover of DHS, it's very lackluster.

The IP deserves better.

In the grand scheme of things, you're right - it will be fine. Still doesn't change the fact that it could've been more.

To say the coaster has no theming is a stretch. You literally walk inside of the box where the coaster pieces came out of. Then you see all these toys scattered all around the land with large wooden fences looming in the distance AND you're riding inside of SLINKY DOG.

*Minimal theming.

How many AA's are in this brand new, 11 acre, 9 number figure land, excluding pre-existing TSM?

Let's just say, if they did this with Star Wars Land, people would be losing their mind

I think the original Star Wars plan was probably on that level, until the Disney Board of Directors intervened. :lol:

Per Jim Hill (yeah, yeah...), the first SW Land pitch was the definition of half-assed: more cohesive theme work around Echo Lake to turn it into a Star Wars environment, Jedi Training moved indoors, and a spinner. There was probably a restaurant involved, too, but that's it!

To Bob Iger's (or whoever's) credit, this proposal was vetoed with prejudice for being extraordinarily unambitious and unlikely to move the needle.

The crazy thing about it is that Toy Story should allow for easy AAs. Hell, the reason Toy Story came about was because the simple animation and plastic textures were far easier to make with CGI back in the early 90s.

I guess they could have made the giant figures around the rollercoaster track AA's, but would that really make it THAT much of a better experience?
For what they decided to build...an outdoor family coaster, and bumper cars, AA's don't really feel necessary, at least not to me.

I guess they could have made the giant figures around the rollercoaster track AA's, but would that really make it THAT much of a better experience?
For what they decided to build...an outdoor family coaster, and bumper cars, AA's don't really feel necessary, at least not to me.
I wish they used the bumper cars area and made a better family attraction, looks like something I would see at the county fair.

I wish they used the bumper cars area and made a better family attraction, looks like something I would see at the county fair.

Yeah, they aren't really "Bumper Cars". More like a slower version of the Teacups.

Anyway...it could have been worse. Most of the other Toy Story lands have that RC Coaster, which is basically a dumbed down pirate ship ride.
The Slinky Dog is at least unique and has two launches. Should be a more family friendly version of Cheetah Hunt.

I like the new Midway ride entrance. Fits better IMO. The Pixar Place thing was only going to work if they actually added more Pixar rides like originally planned (Monsters, Inc Door Coaster specifically.) Once that third track was added and it all became Toy Story it made more sense to Toy Story-ize the whole thing.

Reactions: Doug A.
Yeah, they aren't really "Bumper Cars". More like a slower version of the Teacups.

Anyway...it could have been worse. Most of the other Toy Story lands have that RC Coaster, which is basically a dumbed down pirate ship ride.
The Slinky Dog is at least unique and has two launches. Should be a more family friendly version of Cheetah Hunt.
idk I think the RC ride looks okay, and I do think the Slinky coaster looks fun, I'm more upset about the Alien spinners

Reactions: Ashhanbre