[TR] Jekyll Island, GA 2018 | Inside Universal Forums

[TR] Jekyll Island, GA 2018

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skold

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2016
Just went on a great 3-day trip to Jekyll Island, and after seeing the epic report from @UK-Trigg, and the promise of one from from @donald-razorduck, I realized that this forum is not just for Orlando trips. So, here goes!

So, Jekyll Island. A little-known island just south down the line of Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and St.Simon, this one is unique because of the history behind it. Between the late 18oo's and WWII, this was the exclusive beach club of the then- 1%. Rockefeller, Carnegie, Goodyear, and such had "cottages" on this island. Of course, those "cottages" are bigger than my house, and they had a club which had "suites" to stay in. Those "suites" are also bigger than my house. The U.S ordered it evacuated for WWII, and the state of GA bought it after the war. It came to be as a neat little tourist destination in the early 2000's.

But enough learning! What do you think this is, EPCOT Center? :p

We've been about 15 times over the last 17 years, and this might have been our best trip. The beaches are why my wife loves it. Sunset looking out over the Atlantic:
7290-131d5143657f81ec8ae75c28509c0bfc.jpg

My beaching is a bit different. Margaritas and comics, watching the kid build a fortress, sometimes coming out from my cave to play bocce or Frisbee or ladder-toss.
7285-b4a09467c60efb3197ebe9e730dd622d.jpg

A few awesome things about Jekyll:
  • Not too many know about it; the beaches are not crowded at all.
  • Wet sand beaches. This can lead to disagreement, but wet sand allows tent anchors and better sand castles. Can't do that stuff on the gulf.
I don't cycle much (read: at all) but this island has the most serene bike trails.
7286-ef3f3090e72061bd41ecba85e348b20e.jpg

7287-f7712795d9f82a14d405f000daac5440.jpg

Jekyll has a Sea Turtle Center, part museum but mostly a bunch of good folks saving turtles. We've been on turtle walks with them at night, and have seen sea turtles hatch and scramble towards the sea. This time, we did a "behind the scenes tour" (I'll donate this money to them anyway, so these things are awesome). Went into the operating room to see a turtle who got its front flipped ripped off by a shark, turned its shell towards it, and somehow got away.
7288-1239b45d466262d49817fdda795af3dc.jpg

Went on the boat tour, talked to the shipmen of a shrimp trawler, they gave the tour ops a manta ray and shovel head shark before they let them go.
7289-96c67a907750a6932ef7319cde97ef74.jpg

It's the hidden jewel of the Golden Isles!

Cumberland Island, an uninhabited island known for its wild horses and other wild life, next year.

Edit: wow, those pics are smaller than I thought. Will be uploading better ones now.

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 2
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 2
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 2
  • poorguy.jpg
    poorguy.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 2
  • trawler.jpg
    trawler.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 2
  • sunset (2).jpg
    sunset (2).jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I live about 30 minutes inland from the Jekyll Island area, and I agree that it is a wonderful place. The neighboring St. Simons Island is nice too, but Jekyll is much less developed and, as you mentioned, far less busy. It’s really nice to hear that people are traveling there to visit. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Skold and Mad Dog
The hotel we like there, the Days Inn, is a two-star dive. But it has easily the best beach access of any hotel on the island. Of course, they have the free breakfast thing, but my wife noticed these pictures in the dining area. Apparently, this was the Cabana Bay of Jekyll Island in 1969!

di-jpg.8225

di2-jpg.8226

Attachments

• di.jpg
    di.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 17
  • di2.jpg
    di2.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 17