TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think a lot of Disney fans will think Tron too scary.

They are a sensitive lot down there. That's why ToT always has an unreasonably short wait time and 7DMT is the most popular coaster @MK.

7DMT is popular because it's still "new". ToT has high capacity and RnRC still gets hour plus waits. Tron will command FoP wait times.

Reactions: HPFred
7DMT is popular because it's still "new". ToT has high capacity and RnRC still gets hour plus waits. Tron will command FoP wait times.

It shouldn't but it's NOT the fastest loader. There are times you wait in the queue without moving for a long while pretty inexplicably. I would take the whole team from FoP and move them to Tron if they've worked out how to be the most efficient with the seats as they're the closest to Tron's.

Allow me to help get those properly on...

owkYtyp.jpg

sVV9q0f.jpg

3z9Y9sn.jpg

At-least we can see that dirt is moving.. xD

3.5 years for a cloned ride wtf. Sorry but consider this irritation due a lot that I’ll be there 2020 and also ridiculous it takes that long to build a single ride. I complain that universal drags its feet recently on competition announcements but 3 + years on a ride should be at minimum a game changer not a clone(see Harry Potter coaster yet only needed 2 years). I enjoy the additions that Disney is making but the construction timelines are just ridiculous to say the least. Just wow Disney, WOW! You know construction companies cost a lot less if you keep them busy yet you tell them start now stop now start now slow down now yeah and their response, rightfully so, you want a spot reserved it will cost more. Just dumb Disney you could literally build 3 attraction for the price of 2 but instead insist on building 3 for the price of five. The only way this makes since is Disney accounting found a serious loophole in tax incentives, no?

Edit: it takes 3-4 years to build a full fledged world class Theme Park yet Disney finds the measure to stretch one attraction to the same timeline. I love Disney but am more on board with Universal fan club recently for this reason they exploit that they are Disney to their koolaid drinkers and the koolaid drinkers would rather wither and wait for the new koolaid than try a new drink(Universal). Universal don’t forget to keep pushing a new flavor and while I’m at it SeaWorld you too as you truly can be unique so don’t change too much and strive on.

Last edited:
3.5 years for a cloned ride wtf. Sorry but consider this irritation due a lot that I’ll be there 2020 and also ridiculous it takes that long to build a single ride. I complain that universal drags its feet recently on competition announcements but 3 + years on a ride should be at minimum a game changer not a clone(see Harry Potter coaster yet only needed 2 years). I enjoy the additions that Disney is making but the construction timelines are just ridiculous to say the least. Just wow Disney, WOW! You know construction companies cost a lot less if you keep them busy yet you tell them start now stop now start now slow down now yeah and their response, rightfully so, you want a spot reserved it will cost more. Just dumb Disney you could literally build 3 attraction for the price of 2 but instead insist on building 3 for the price of five. The only way this makes since is Disney accounting found a serious loophole in tax incentives, no?

They could open it in 2 years if they really wanted but construction companies are going to be stretched so thin with everything that Disney is doing just now plus Universal building more rides at the current resort and a new park and resort plus whatever SeaWorld is doing.

Then you have to work around the train track to work around.

It probably won’t be a 3 year build. All they’re doing is clearing land just now, it’s yet to go vertical. I’m not sure if the foundations are in place. It could be a 2 and a half year build.

They could open it in 2 years if they really wanted but construction companies are going to be stretched so thin with everything that Disney is doing just now plus Universal building more rides at the current resort and a new park and resort plus whatever SeaWorld is doing.

Then you have to work around the train track to work around.

It probably won’t be a 3 year build. All they’re doing is clearing land just now, it’s yet to go vertical. I’m not sure if the foundations are in place. It could be a 2 and a half year build.
I understand that but the land clearing has been a few months now. As I said the timeline by Disney was what they gave not other projects affecting it. You can blame universal and/or Disney current projects as the blame but blaming projects that haven’t been announced as the issue is a stretch. Disney has a real problem with budgets and timelines for projects. Hire the company and set the schedule as continuous and they are cheaper than start and stop and start and slow down.

Food for thought they are spending 2.3 billion dollars on an expansion of roughly 10 acres and a hotel at Tokyo Disney Sea how, just how? I know TDLR isn’t owned by Disney but even there overseas projects seem to have inflated budgets see PotC: BotST amazing ride from the looks of it yes should it have the combined budget of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley plus. Those 2 lands combined cost $450 million at Orlando and PotC:BotST by itself $500 million plus, just ridiculous when you think things over rides over there actually cost less to build based on currency. It’s an amazing attraction but half a billion wow just wow.

Or how about the fact that Test track at Epcot is the most expensive attraction in the Western Hemisphere yet no one would put it in their top 25 attractions in North America let alone the world,i know budget overruns but dumb just dumb. I’m sorry excuses be damned Disney made the announcements a year + ago and Universal announced the HP coaster right then as well yet one(HP) a game changer attraction taking 2 years and 1(tron) a clone taking 3.5 years.

Note also during this Disney finalized construction of both Pandora and TSL freeing up construction companies.

I understand that but the land clearing has been a few months now. As I said the timeline by Disney was what they gave not other projects affecting it. You can blame universal and/or Disney current projects as the blame but blaming projects that haven’t been announced as the issue is a stretch. Disney has a real problem with budgets and timelines for projects. Hire the company and set the schedule as continuous and they are cheaper than start and stop and start and slow down.

Food for thought they are spending 2.3 billion dollars on an expansion of roughly 10 acres and a hotel at Tokyo Disney Sea how, just how? I know TDLR isn’t owned by Disney but even there overseas projects seem to have inflated budgets see PotC: BotST amazing ride from the looks of it yes should it have the combined budget of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley plus. Those 2 lands combined cost $450 million at Orlando and PotC:BotST by itself $500 million plus, just ridiculous when you think things over rides over there actually cost less to build based on currency. It’s an amazing attraction but half a billion wow just wow.

Or how about the fact that Test track at Epcot is the most expensive attraction in the Western Hemisphere yet no one would put it in their top 25 attractions in North America let alone the world,i know budget overruns but dumb just dumb. I’m sorry excuses be damned Disney made the announcements a year + ago and Universal announced the HP coaster right then as well yet one(HP) a game changer attraction taking 2 years and 1(tron) a clone taking 3.5 years.

Note also during this Disney finalized construction of both Pandora and TSL freeing up construction companies.
I'm pretty sure TT isn't the most expensive. I'd bet even RS Racers cost more than it did.

I'm pretty sure TT isn't the most expensive. I'd bet even RS Racers cost more than it did.
Sadly but no test track cost more than racers. By approximately $50 to $100mil(exact numbers aren’t always given). Not trying to be condescending but I have to say try again. I do know it’s sad to think about the money wasted.

Disney's slow construction is at fault of timelines and not necessarily money. All the current new stuff being added is either in support of SWL's expected attendance gain or WDW's 50th. Tron will probably be the anchor for the 50th celebrations along with the Epcot makeovers. DHS will have already been "re-imagined" (even though it still needs lots of work) and AK will more than likely get a Rivers of Light replacement.

Reason why we see Universal as a fast builder is because of years of little growth and the need for capacity once they knew Potter was a hit. People are already visiting WDW so there's no need to build fast and open an attraction whenever when you can time it to open during an anniversary year.

Theme parks are a business.

Disney's slow construction is at fault of timelines and not necessarily money. All the current new stuff being added is either in support of SWL's expected attendance gain or WDW's 50th. Tron will probably be the anchor for the 50th celebrations along with the Epcot makeovers. DHS will have already been "re-imagined" (even though it still needs lots of work) and AK will more than likely get a Rivers of Light replacement.

Reason why we see Universal as a fast builder is because of years of little growth and the need for capacity once they knew Potter was a hit. People are already visiting WDW so there's no need to build fast and open an attraction whenever when you can time it to open during an anniversary year.

Theme parks are a business.
And business sense tells me that 3.5 years on a cloned attraction costing 300mil is downright ridiculous. The engrossed timeline only adds to budget I was the director and minority owner of a pool construction company and guess what people asked us to build the pool in phases(for many reasons) and no matter why the expected budget would increase accordingly. Construction doesn’t stop and asking for a reserved slot requires a non refundable down payment as well as increased costs based on times allotted, schedule, etc. vs the counter of declining for several other contacts. With this the contractor says pay this or we walk, Disney just always says cool even if it says that they need $10000 toothbrushes for every employee. The sad part is Disney won’t pay s$&@t for its own employees.

And business sense tells me that 3.5 years on a cloned attraction costing 300mil is downright ridiculous. The engrossed timeline only adds to budget I was the director and minority owner of a pool construction company and guess what people asked us to build the pool in phases(for many reasons) and no matter why the expected budget would increase accordingly. Construction doesn’t stop and asking for a reserved slot requires a non refundable down payment as well as increased costs based on times allotted, schedule, etc. vs the counter of declining for several other contacts. With this the contractor says pay this or we walk, Disney just always says cool even if it says that they need $10000 toothbrushes for every employee. The sad part is Disney won’t pay s$&@t for its own employees.

Building a pool and building Tron isn’t even remotely close to the same thing. They’ll have multiple contractors working in sync or in progression.

Disney is king when it comes to statistics and planning. It might seem crazy but they obviously have a valid reason for doing this the way they’re doing it. It might cost more for the ride and it might take longer but if it means that millions of people visiting in 2020 feel the need to return in 2021, they will probably cover the extra cost and more in ticket sales and hotel rooms.

Building a pool and building Tron isn’t even remotely close to the same thing. They’ll have multiple contractors working in sync or in progression.

Disney is king when it comes to statistics and planning. It might seem crazy but they obviously have a valid reason for doing this the way they’re doing it. It might cost more for the ride and it might take longer but if it means that millions of people visiting in 2020 feel the need to return in 2021, they will probably cover the extra cost and more in ticket sales and hotel rooms.
A clone of a Vekoma motorbike coaster in a showbuiding with greenhouse canopy shouldn't cost $300 million nor take three and a half years. That's over a $100 million more than all of Hogsmeade and over a year longer.

Craziness.

I'm not defending Disney, I wish they can build faster. But I'm looking at this from a realistic perspective. Like Scott said, you want more guests to return year after year + bring in new clients.

It also needs to be taken into consideration that retention ponds are being moved as well, which takes some time.

Didn't someone say in another thread that Tron may have had a 5-year exclusivity window for Shanghai? They may not have a choice but to make it fit that timeline.

Just FYI building a pool also requires multiple contractors- masonry, steel and shotcrete, electrical, plumbing, tile, gas, plaster and more dependending on rock work(only ever worked with real), specified molds(slides, rivers) etc. All while scheduling around specific building progression.

Building is building and all building is very similar it is merely the size and scope that changes but the process is the same. Planning, designing, engineering, permits, grading, structure, etc.

As for this specific project please see @Disneyhead he sums it up quite well.

Reactions: Scott W.

Edit: it takes 3-4 years to build a full fledged world class Theme Park yet Disney finds the measure to stretch one attraction to the same timeline. I love Disney but am more on board with Universal fan club recently for this reason they exploit that they are Disney to their koolaid drinkers and the koolaid drinkers would rather wither and wait for the new koolaid than try a new drink(Universal). Universal don’t forget to keep pushing a new flavor and while I’m at it SeaWorld you too as you truly can be unique so don’t change too much and strive on.
Are you new to Disney building attractions the last decade or something. This is fairly standard for them and yes the budget is insane but it’s something we just have to deal with.

Are you new to Disney building attractions the last decade or something. This is fairly standard for them and yes the budget is insane but it’s something we just have to deal with.
No I get that I was just voicing my disgust for it is all. I know that Disney isn’t exactly listening yet for some reason I feel that calling them out for questionable timelines and budgets may some how make a difference. Fingers crossed I can make a change