TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When Tron opens it means they could finally take Space Mountain down for the extended refurb and track replacement it was supposed to get years ago.

That’s the way I see it. I think SM will stay for a long time. For a lot of people, it would have been their first coaster and I’m sure parents will want their kids to have that same experience.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
There's no way they'll get rid of Space Mountain. It's one of the most iconic Disney attractions ever. I get it, no attraction is truly sacred, but I think Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates, and HM are probably the closest there is to truly being always safe.
My money would be on that bet.

Reactions: Joel
TRON's location makes me worry about the future of Space Mountain. I can see Space Mountain's guest scores dropping like a rock when people view it as outdated and hokey in comparison.

The way Disney surveys you're never really asked to compare similar attractions, with perhaps the exception of Fantasyland because there are so many they are unavoidably grouped together. You're supposed to judge each alone, but when they are grouped in a land basic human psychology starts to rank them. If A if "Good" and B was better than A to me, then I should rank B higher, but if "Good" is the best rating, then A should be "Bad" now.

In theory an update for Space Mountain to make it more modern would be nice... but we all know the most likely result is the ride getting torn down.
I think it's much more likely that Space Mountain finally gets the update it sorely needs than getting torn down.

lol...one day at a time Disney. I much prefer UOR's idea of closing down a show, or attraction, and start building before we know for sure what is even coming. Announcing stuff this far ahead just makes the wait feel so much longer. Disney and Square-Enix must have read the same marketing textbooks in high school.

Reactions: Grits0808
lol...one day at a time Disney. I much prefer UOR's idea of closing down a show, or attraction, and start building before we know for sure what is even coming. Announcing stuff this far ahead just makes the wait feel so much longer. Disney and Square-Enix must have read the same marketing textbooks in high school.
I like that this is a park expansion. Plain and simple.

The building of this ride is not going to take away anything currently in the park, only add. Same goes for the MK Theatre. I like when I don't have to see a beloved attraction torn down for something.

I like that this is a park expansion. Plain and simple.

The building of this ride is not going to take away anything currently in the park, only add. Same goes for the MK Theatre. I like when I don't have to see a beloved attraction torn down for something.

I think you misread my comment. I can't wait for the Tron Attraction. It's going to be amazing, and I agree that its nice that they are "adding" to the park instead of repurposing an existing attraction.

I'm saying they announced this a few months ago, and they are just now doing surveys? They could have easily had most of the land demolished before announcing anything. I would expect that we would have already had more progress by now.

I think you misread my comment. I can't wait for the Tron Attraction. It's going to be amazing, and I agree that its nice that they are "adding" to the park instead of repurposing an existing attraction.

I'm saying they announced this a few months ago, and they are just now doing surveys? They could have easily had most of the land demolished before announcing anything. I would expect that we would have already had more progress by now.
I think they were more concerned with having a lot of announcements then actually building these rides. They're not promised to open until 2021 so they have time to take their time.

Also, rumors are that Tron coaster's placement was still up in the air and kept moving around right up to the week before D23. That's why we heard the rumor that it was taking over the Speedway plot first. And why the concept art isn't as polished as Disney usually does. (Then again I heard that from Jim Hill, so who knows if it's true or just a nice story.)

EDIT: And Disney will sometimes announce so many things at D23 that some are never actually built. It's all about showmanship at those events. Some fans are taking bets on what won't be built from this year's announcements.

All of the rides for D23, save for the ones we already knew about from D23 2015, are in their early stages of construction. 2021 will be the ultimate year to visit not only WDW, but Orlando as a whole. 2020 won't be bad either though.

You're used to Uni's style of announcing something when they've been working on it for months. Disney's style is announcing far ahead of time. Nothing wrong with either strategy, just two completely different ways of handling announcements.

Both are frustrating in their own way. With Uni you just want them to Confirm it and give details, with Disney, we have details and concept art, but then need to wait years for the rides.