two 14 yo's, two 16 yo's & Me.. 4 days help | Inside Universal Forums

two 14 yo's, two 16 yo's & Me.. 4 days help

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 26, 2018
So- firstly my apologies if this is jumbled/too many questions.. trying to book something asap for a few weeks out -

we have been talking about bringing the kids to Universal for a few years now. Look like we are going to go down in three weeks. Each kid gets to bring a friend. My husband is unable to come with us so it is just me and the 4 teens.

I would like to make this trip easy and safe for everyone. Looking to stay on site. The kids keep hearing that all the teenagers stay at Hard Rock... Is this true? Should we book there, or another resort? Are there multi room options? anything you would suggest?

Medically I can not go on fast rides, so I tend to not go on anything. We used to take the kids to theme parks and my husband would do all the rides with the kids, I would people watch.

Is it possible to not get park passes for me? Where I would be most happy sitting at a pool or a bar and reading I feel like my kids are old enough to handle a park on their own. (My 16 yo spent last summer on his"own" in the Dominican Republic)

Is there any knowledge here on getting a discount for not using a park pass, or express pass -

I have heard of Citywalk, and a rope drop - but do not know what that is all about.(Is that even Universal?) I will not be out partying at night, the kids will not be out all night as they are still young. Thinking to do 4-5 days with them having 3 days at the parks.

How can we make the most of things? :)

Hard Rock generally seems to be the most popular hotel for teens. Over the years, I've probably seen the highest percentage of teens there. Great pool, with speakers underwater. Rock music everywhere. I believe you can have a maximum of 5 in a room and a maximum of 5 Express passes per room. There's no requirement that you have to have park tickets, so no need to purchase them if you're going to hang at the pool and CitiWalk. But, no, you wouldn't get a rebate if you don't take advantage of your hotel room card Express Pass feature. CitiWalk has a number of good restaurants and some nice evening entertainment. I don't know your age or tastes, but many like The Groove, Margaritaville, Bob Marley's and the rowdy Pat O'Briens Piano Bar for entertainment. Seth Kubersky has a really good book that explains everything you would ever need or want to know. It's The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando......Staying on site will guarantee you a relaxing, leisurely vacation. You can walk to everything from your Hard Rock room, it's that close (5 minute walk at most) ,or take one of the complimentary water taxis. (Note: Citi Walk is part of the Universal complex of 3 parks, hotel resorts & CitiWalk). Everything is connected by short walking paths, or the water taxis that travel on the canals connecting everything.

Hard Rock generally seems to be the most popular hotel for teens. Over the years, I've probably seen the highest percentage of teens there. Great pool, with speakers underwater. Rock music everywhere. I believe you can have a maximum of 5 in a room and a maximum of 5 Express passes per room. There's no requirement that you have to have park tickets, so no need to purchase them if you're going to hang at the pool and CitiWalk. But, no, you wouldn't get a rebate if you don't take advantage of your hotel room card Express Pass feature. CitiWalk has a number of good restaurants and some nice evening entertainment. I don't know your age or tastes, but many like The Groove, Margaritaville, Bob Marley's and the rowdy Pat O'Briens Piano Bar for entertainment. Seth Kubersky has a really good book that explains everything you would ever need or want to know. It's The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando......Staying on site will guarantee you a relaxing, leisurely vacation. You can walk to everything from your Hard Rock room, it's that close (5 minute walk at most) ,or take one of the complimentary water taxis. (Note: Citi Walk is part of the Universal complex of 3 parks, hotel resorts & CitiWalk). Everything is connected by short walking paths, or the water taxis that travel on the canals connecting everything.

Thanks for this info!! . I am 40 years old, and love listening to good live music of all kinds - however my plan is to relax and unwind and let the kids do whatever.. So I am not confused - the Express passes that are included in the rooms are not park passes, just a little "Bonus" for paying more $$ to stay at Hardrock and other nicer on site hotels.? And Citi Walk can be accessed without a park pass?

Reactions: Coasted
Thanks for this info!! . I am 40 years old, and love listening to good live music of all kinds - however my plan is to relax and unwind and let the kids do whatever.. So I am not confused - the Express passes that are included in the rooms are not park passes, just a little "Bonus" for paying more $$ to stay at Hardrock and other nicer on site hotels.? And Citi Walk can be accessed without a park pass?
Exactly on the Express passes. You would still have to purchase park passes. ...Your kids will love Express passes. With the Hotel Express passes they can use them for the express line on every attraction, unlimited times. No need to preschedule or anything like that. Just walk up to any ride, any time. Most generally, depending how crowded the park is, they'll only wait in line for 5 or 10 minutes, or even walk right on.This would be a great deal for you, with so many kids, since regular park express passes cost anywhere from apx. $80 to $120 (depending on the season), per day per person, and that's in addition to purchasing park tickets.....................CitiWalk is really perfect for your age. You'll love it. And, as an added perk of staying on site, you can use your hotel card to use any of the pools in the other on site Universal hotels. Lot's of great pools you can try out if you want a little diversity. ...You do not need a park pass or pay a fee to go to Citi Walk. However, a few of the live entertainment clubs will charge a door fee after 9:00 PM. We get around that by entering the live entertainment clubs before 9:00 PM......And, there's 1 hour early entry for the hotel guests for the parks . But if you have the express passes they don't really need to worry much about getting there for rope drop, since they never have much of a wait in line anyway.

Last edited:
Too... watch this newest Tim Tracker video where he tours everything Hard Rock. He just made it about a month ago. It’s great!

That’s the video that convinced me to stay.

If you have plenty of questions, you’ve found the perfect forum with decades of knowledge.

Welcome to the forum. :toast:

Reactions: Kristin and Mad Dog
Is booking directly through Universals website the best rates? Or are there any sites that will give me a better deal? (I only have two kids and they are each bringing a friend, so I am trying to get the lowest rates.. we do friend trips often, and the deal is usually with an all inclusive resort, so we only ask the parents to pay for the airfare and if the kids want to buy mementos - this is going to be a bit different and need to figure out how I am going to do the costs)

Is booking directly through Universals website the best rates? Or are there any sites that will give me a better deal? (I only have two kids and they are each bringing a friend, so I am trying to get the lowest rates.. we do friend trips often, and the deal is usually with an all inclusive resort, so we only ask the parents to pay for the airfare and if the kids want to buy mementos - this is going to be a bit different and need to figure out how I am going to do the costs)
Depends how long you're staying, 4 nights would be a discount available, not sure on three nights. . They have decent special discounts for longer stays through the website. But, for short stays you might want to check the sites that get surplus rooms. And keep in mind this is peak summer rate season, so rates are higher and room availability is tight. If you could all share a room (two queens and a cot if available) that would keep costs down.....And, the Express passes work on your hotel arrival day and your hotel departure day.

Personally, I’d do portofino. The kids can still go to the park- but if you’re staying at the hotel, I’d pick the hotel I’d want to be at - to hell with the kids, they get to be at the parks :D

The reason for portofino- best pools- by far. And some are adult only- only hotel to have that on-site.

Additionally, if you like live music, they do live opera in the courtyard every night and it’s actually pretty dang good.

Also- biggest rooms.

And lastly- if you like water parks or want to go to one of those, volcano bay is the new one and awesome. You could easily hand at the wave pool and get your people watching on. :)

Reactions: Mad Dog
The reason for portofino- best pools- by far. And some are adult only- only hotel to have that on-site.
they do live opera in the courtyard every night and it’s actually pretty dang good.

Also- biggest rooms.
wave pool and get your people watching on. :)
OK- you are speaking my language! Good to know about the biggest rooms and the adult only pools. the kids will be out and about all week - you are right that I should get the ambiance I want.
The kids can always go hang at the hard rock pools.. I LOVE people watching, and especially people watching at water parks.. :fight: Bonus - Opera!

Depends how long you're st...And, the Express passes work on your hotel arrival day and your hotel departure day.
Thanks! We are probably going to look at 4-5 nights. Looking at plane tickets, it can get to where it is worth staying over another night to save $$ on flights. Was hoping to fly from Worcester, MA airport to Orlando, but they only have late afternoon flights heading out..

Thanks! We are probably going to look at 4-5 nights. Looking at plane tickets, it can get to where it is worth staying over another night to save $$ on flights. Was hoping to fly from Worcester, MA airport to Orlando, but they only have late afternoon flights heading out..
now to Aug. 11th...4 nights discount is 10% off, 5 nights is 15% off. ..........................................After Aug. 11th discount percentages go higher. 4 nights is 20% discount, 5 nights is 25% discount

Reactions: Andysol
now to Aug. 11th...4 nights discount is 10% off, 5 nights is 15% off. ..........................................After Aug. 11th discount percentages go higher. 4 nights is 20% discount, 5 nights is 25% discount
Portofino is great for adults. That's our usual go too resort. 3 pools. More laid back & adult oriented than the other resorts. There's some kids there, but not a whole lot. Really beautiful, almost a complete recreation of Portofino on the Italian Riviera. They even brought artisans over from Italy to do a lot of the artistic work. The standard rooms at Portofino are 450 sq. ft., more than a 100 sq. ft. than the other deluxe hotels. The bathrooms are huge. Almost the size of a small motel room. The walk is longer there though, about 15 minutes. Most everyone takes the free water taxi. Or if you want to be fancy, there's ricksaw drivers that will take you to the park along the landscaped walking paths if you don't want to walk, but you are expected to tip them, but there's no formal charge.

Last edited: