Type 1 Diabetes - Special Assistance Card | Inside Universal Forums

Type 1 Diabetes - Special Assistance Card

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 21, 2015
United Kingdom (Birmingham)
Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and have to take regular insulin. I have booked trip for August/Sept and for certain period line will be long and in the Florida sun its likely to cook my insulin. A friend has mentioned in past they have to obtain special assistance pass but this was many years ago. Has anyone had to use one in the past and if so how easy would one be to obtain. I know not the most general question but hoping someone out there can help!

Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and have to take regular insulin. I have booked trip for August/Sept and for certain period line will be long and in the Florida sun its likely to cook my insulin. A friend has mentioned in past they have to obtain special assistance pass but this was many years ago. Has anyone had to use one in the past and if so how easy would one be to obtain. I know not the most general question but hoping someone out there can help!

If you're talking about Universal, they have an Attractions Assistance Pass. It is good for up to 6 people and good for up to 14 days and you can go to Guest Services inside or outside of either park to get it. How it works is if the line for an attraction is less than 30 minutes you are directed into an alternate queue and if the line is more than 30 minutes you are given a return time 15 minutes less than the posted wait time. It is also good at all of the attractions (even Harry Potter).

I know Disney and Sea World have something similar, but I'm not sure how theirs works.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: gbird and Brian G.
Disney now works the same as Universal. Sea World you get Quick Queue access. Well we did, but then again my son was on a ventilator and we got higher levels of access at all the parks. So I would call ahead if you are planning on going to Sea World and see what they say.

Reactions: gbird

Disney now works the same as Universal. Sea World you get Quick Queue access. Well we did, but then again my son was on a ventilator and we got higher levels of access at all the parks. So I would call ahead if you are planning on going to Sea World and see what they say.

Looks like SeaWorld works the same as the other 2; except they refer to their pass as the "RAP" Pass - or Ride Assistance Pass.

Here's what I found:
Ride Accessibility Program (RAP):

Is designed to allow guests to fully participate and enjoy our parks while keeping in mind the safety requirements of our rides and attractions. Theprogram was developed based on the requirements of the manufacturer and by evaluatingthe physical and mental attributes required to safely ride each ride and participate in our other attractions.Itis our policy to allow anyoneto ride our rides and enjoy our attractions so long as they meet all of these requirements and such that it does not present a potential hazard to the guests or others.

Special Access:

Is designed to allow our guests to enjoy our attractions without waiting in queue lines dueif the guest is not able to do so as a result of his/her disability. Guests will be placed in a Virtual Queue which equals the estimated wait time at that respective location. Guests have the ability to enjoy other attractions throughout the park during this time and then proceed to the specific attraction at the estimated time.

Just enroll over at Guest Services on the day of your visit.

Reactions: gbird
First Aid may have a refrigerator where you can store your insulin. I would check with guest services.

Agreed. First aid at the parks is pretty awesome. We would leave my son's extra O2 tank when he was on oxygen and then when we did breathing treatments they would give us a room to do that and any other medical related stuff. Everyone was really nice and had no issues storing stuff as long as it was clearly labeled. We just filled a suitcase with all the extra stuff and then go back and refill our stroller when O2 was getting low.