Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Uber/Lyft grocery stop?

May 11, 2016
I am curious about using a uber/lyft driver from the airport. With a car service they can make a grocery stop as part of the service. My understanding is that uber drivers are only paid while the car is in motion. I read a suggestion to tell the driver to circle the parking lot while you shop so they can be paid while waiting for you. Is this an appropriate thing to ask? Would it be better to just call a new driver when you are done shopping? Having never used uber I don't know the unwritten rules. I want to be respectful of the Uber/lyft driver's time, and make sure I don't cause them to lose money.

I am curious about using a uber/lyft driver from the airport. With a car service they can make a grocery stop as part of the service. My understanding is that uber drivers are only paid while the car is in motion. I read a suggestion to tell the driver to circle the parking lot while you shop so they can be paid while waiting for you. Is this an appropriate thing to ask? Would it be better to just call a new driver when you are done shopping? Having never used uber I don't know the unwritten rules. I want to be respectful of the Uber/lyft driver's time, and make sure I don't cause them to lose money.

Unless in an area where getting an Uber is a real pain, I'd just let him go and get another one when leaving the store. It would be one thing if you were just walking into a store, grabbing a pop and coming back out, but a grocery trip is a little much. That way you aren't either wasting their time or your own money. You also won't feel rushed in the store.

Should be fine, just tell the driver you can tip him extra.

You can also take a cab, they will wait for you in the store.

While it's the most convenient, Uber is definitely not the most economical airport transport. I'd use a shuttle service to get to your hotel, and then take your Uber from the hotel to the store.

It's really easy to just call another Uber when you're done with your grocery stop. Having the driver drive in circles around the parking lot will probably annoy them and cost you a lot of unnecessary money.

Having never taken a airport shuttle before, I can't help but think they'll take a really, really long time. It might be worth spending a little extra to save a couple hours. I would be surprised if the cost difference was that big between an Uber and a shuttle.