Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had heard a rumor a while ago about a Ripley’s theme hotel. Maybe that’s in the works for the land across from Top Golf? Along with a few more attractions and perhaps a new museum, no doubt... I wonder if they’d try to do a multi-attraction pass like they have for the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area? I don’t see them trying to build another Aquarium when SeaWorld and SeaLife is within spitting distance.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that the rumor I heard was a Ripley’s hotel closer to Disney/192/Margaritaville Resort. Not close to the existing museum on I-Drive.

Last edited:
Had heard a rumor a while ago about a Ripley’s theme hotel. Maybe that’s in the works for the land across from Top Golf? Along with a few more attractions and perhaps a new museum, no doubt... I wonder if they’d try to do a multi-attraction pass like they have for the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area? I don’t see them trying to build another Aquarium when SeaWorld and SeaLife is within spitting distance.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify that the rumor I heard was a Ripley’s hotel closer to Disney/192/Margaritaville Resort. Not close to the existing museum on I-Drive.
If Ripley's does create their own Ripleys resort, it's going to be on this Universal Blvd. land.

That's around 40 acres (probably up to 30-32 developable in the main plot) which can easily fit a few of their Ripley's experiences and a hotel.

Okay, maybe Stan Thomas isn't quite out of Orlando:

Stan Thomas and CPR Money agreed to an option contract whereby Stan Thomas can re-purchase the remaining land (the land that CPR Money forcibly took away from him) before May 10, 2019.

CPR Money agreed not to sell the land before May 1, 2019, but that option for Stan Thomas has an expiration date that depends on their modification agreement (probably around May 1, 2019).

Basically, that land to the west/southwest of the 2nd resort is going to be in limbo for quite a while longer. I do expect that land to end up sold off at some point, but Stan Thomas is trying to hold off on it as long as possible.

From Bio:

DsNNjm7V4AE6QGa.jpg

Another public meeting for the proposed Kirkman Road Extension is scheduled for December 18th.

Link: Public Meeting Notices

District: Five
Meeting Type: Hearing
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Time: 5:00 pm to N/A
Location Name: Orange County Convention Center in the West Concourse, Room W315
Street Address: 9800 International Drive
City: Orlando
Purpose:
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is holding a public hearing on proposed improvements that include extending Kirkman Road from Universal Boulevard to Carrier Drive.

The hearing is Tuesday, Dec. 18, at the Orange County Convention Center in the West Concourse, Room W315, located at 9800 International Drive in Orlando. Follow signs for the West Concourse and park in West Concourse Parking Lot, located behind the West Concourse Building. For free parking, tell the parking attendant you are attending the Kirkman Road Public Meeting.

The hearing is being conducted to present the proposed improvements, seek public and agency input, and provide interested persons an opportunity to express their views about the project. The hearing will begin with an open house at 5 p.m. during which time project information and displays are available for review. A formal presentation will be given at 6 p.m., followed by a public comment period where attendees can make public testimony at the microphone. A certified court reporter will be present to collect and document comments for the project record.

Participants may also provide written comment, in place of oral comment, at any time during the public comment period, which ends on Dec. 28, 2018. Written comments can be submitted at this hearing, by mail to Todd Alexander, FDOT Mail Station 552, 719 S. Woodland Boulevard, DeLand, FL 32720 or by email to todd.alexander@dot.state.fl.us.

Persons with disabilities who require accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act or persons who require translation services (free of charge) should contact Amy Sirmans by phone at 407-839-4006 or via email at asirmans@vhb.com at least seven (7) days prior to the hearing. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact us by using the Florida Relay Service, 1-800-955-8771 (TDD) or 1-800-955-8770 (Voice).

Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability or family status. Persons wishing to express their concerns relative to FDOT compliance with Title VI may do so by contacting Jennifer Smith, FDOT District Five Title VI Coordinator, by email at Jennifer.Smith2@dot.state.fl.us.
Primary Contact: Todd Alexander
Primary Phone: 386-943-5420
Primary E-Mail: todd.alexander@dot.state.fl.us
Additional Contact: Amy Sirmans
Additional Phone: 407-839-4006
Additional E-mail: asirmans@vhb.com
Expires: 12/19/2018

I'm 100% on board with the logic of building a surface lot for phase 1 of the expansion, but the more I think about it the planned lot seems way too small.

The parking lot in the submitted plans has about 5,000 parking spaces, but this is significantly less than other Orlando parks. I think that the 2 garages at the current resort have around 20,000 spots combined, MK and Epcot are both over 10,000 spaces, and I believe HS and AK are significantly over 5,000 as well.

So why would Universal limit themselves to only 5k?

I'm 100% on board with the logic of building a surface lot for phase 1 of the expansion, but the more I think about it the planned lot seems way too small.

The parking lot in the submitted plans has about 5,000 parking spaces, but this is significantly less than other Orlando parks. I think that the 2 garages at the current resort have around 20,000 spots combined, MK and Epcot are both over 10,000 spaces, and I believe HS and AK are significantly over 5,000 as well.

Magic Kingdom and Epcot overbuilt their lots since they connect through a Monorail people could park at either lot, so it’s double what the other parks might have. Plus, MK is the busiest theme Park in the world and Epcot has a larger capacity than the other parks.

I think this initial lot is in line with what USF had in 1990, and that was enough for them until they added more and the garages nearly a decade later. But that’s my take on it.

Reactions: truejonas
Magic Kingdom and Epcot overbuilt their lots since they connect through a Monorail people could park at either lot, so it’s double what the other parks might have. Plus, MK is the busiest theme Park in the world and Epcot has a larger capacity than the other parks.

I think this initial lot is in line with what USF had in 1990, and that was enough for them until they added more and the garages nearly a decade later. But that’s my take on it.
Is there enough extra capacity in Universal's current garages that they could divert a decent number of guests to park there and then bus them to the new park?

Is there enough extra capacity in Universal's current garages that they could divert a decent number of guests to park there and then bus them to the new park?
Probably, especially after the new employee parking garage expansion is done so team members don’t have to use garages as much. (I don’t think the new TM garages are done yet, right?)

Are they "undercounting" the parking spots because most of the guests from current UOR hotels will be arriving via bus?

It does feel like a relatively small number, but they probably just don't think there'll be that many separate guests driving in...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Are they "undercounting" the parking spots because most of the guests from current UOR hotels will be arriving via bus?

It does feel like a relatively small number, but they probably just don't think there'll be that many separate guests driving in...
The first few years this is going to be packed if they put popular IPs in the park. After that they can play catch up with some of their other land and have Mears bring them to the park if necessary then down the road build a garage as needed. I think the 5K will not be enough the first few years but in the longer term you are correct that day guests will come from Universal's and partner hotels and will be bussed in.
Any plans for a huge bus drop off yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.