Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The county is going to build a road through Universal's new theme park?
:popcorn:
Can we clarify which road you're referring to? If we're talking about the extension to Mandarin Drive through Kirkman to Destination Drive, then yes I guess. It's already been partially built and is not really through their park. This plan has been in place since before Universal bought the land. Are you under the impression that the main roads going through UOR's currently property are not publicly owned, maintained, and originally constructed?

Can we clarify which road you're referring to? If we're talking about the extension to Mandarin Drive through Kirkman to Destination Drive, then yes I guess. It's already been partially built and is not really through their park. This plan has been in place since before Universal bought the land. Are you under the impression that the main roads going through UOR's currently property are not publicly owned, maintained, and originally constructed?
I was referring to the old plans to extend Mandarin Drive to Universal Blvd around the south side of Lockheed Martin, which run through the middle of Universal's planned park and, to the best of my knowledge, have not had any portion built.

I was referring to the old plans to extend Mandarin Drive to Universal Blvd around the south side of Lockheed Martin, which run through the middle of Universal's planned park and, to the best of my knowledge, have not had any portion built.
I was under the impression the plan was still in place west of Kirkman but was now routed south to Destination Drive instead of north to Mandarin Drive.

As to it having been built, this is its construction from like a year ago for an apartment complex on its east end. You can see it has been completed by looking that direction in street view. Google Maps

I believe the Mandarin Drive plans were canceled when Universal recompiled the land. But they'll still need the connectivity and added capacity.

I'm thinking the other road mentioned is actually just the road access for the apartment building which is depicted in my layout.

Universal is going to give up the main roads to the local government, this is common with dividing large parcels with public streets.

Yesterday's Aerial Update:

I really hope we get some more detailed development plans for the new park soon or it's going to be a long year of just watching them push dirt.

Wouldn't hold your breath on them saying much. Of course they will have to reveal things eventually at Shareholder meetings, but I think they will try and wait until next year before saying anything much at all.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Wouldn't hold your breath on them saying much. Of course they will have to reveal things eventually at Shareholder meetings, but I think they will try and wait until next year before saying anything much at all.
Yeah, probably wait for pew pew land to open and then shift the focus to the new park

Reactions: Journey_On
That would be hilarious if they announced a new park right before Disney started their Parks panel. Everyone waiting for the panel to start would be completely focused on Universal instead of Disney :lol:

Ah yes pulling the good ole “Skyplex”.

Still love the con job Universal pulled on the heights issue there. Pure genius. PT Barnum would have been impressed.

What are you talking about? Though my body has been up for hours somehow my brain is still sleeping.

Oh yeah I doubt they will say anything, but at some point they are going to have to send plans to the county for approval. I'm just hoping that day comes soon because I think it's the only way we will learn anything meaningful about the layout and composition of the new park.

What are you talking about? Though my body has been up for hours somehow my brain is still sleeping.
Long story short....There was a large community debate of height limits concerning the Skyplex. A movement went into action, and the crux was that Universal, the big bad corporation, was trying to keep Skyplex from having the right to build high since they wanted to keep competition away from the present resort . Universal was painted as the bad guy, and height approvals got pushed through. Turned out that Universal's apparent position of trying to stop the height extension was just a Trojan Horse. They already had the purchase ready to go and now they too can build higher, which was always their intention. . Universal snookered them yokel locals.

Long story short....There was a large community debate of height limits concerning the Skyplex. A movement went into action, and the crux was that Universal, the big bad corporation, was trying to keep Skyplex from having the right to build high since they wanted to keep competition away from the present resort . Universal was painted as the bad guy, and height approvals got pushed through. Turned out that Universal's apparent position of trying to stop the height extension was just a Trojan Horse. They already had the purchase ready to go and now they too can build higher, which was always their intention. . Universal snookered them yokel locals.

Not just height but traffic, fireworks, and light pollution too.

Do you have a source that Universal actually got anything (approval to build higher) out of their opposition to the project?

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that Universal opposed the project because it's going to ruin sightlines in Volcano Bay and will be visible from most of their hotels, along with being additional competition in an already busy tourist district. That it was some sort of "con job" just feels like a fake internet theme park fan narrative to me.

Reactions: therock
Do you have a source that Universal actually got anything (approval to build higher) out of their opposition to the project?

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that Universal opposed the project because it's going to ruin sightlines in Volcano Bay and will be visible from most of their hotels, along with being additional competition in an already busy tourist district. That it was some sort of "con job" just feels like a fake internet theme park fan narrative to me.
There was a number of pretty lengthy discussions of the entire scenario on a couple of the IU (OU) threads back when it happened. I can't take credit for the use of the con job phrase since many others voiced it before me:lol:. But it was pretty obvious to any observers ... But I'm too lazy to spend a couple of hours trying to find all the back narratives on the site. It's all there somewhere.

I think what they got was a precedent that they can point to if say they put Drac's castle on a mountain and the spires are 300' or more. The county really can't deny them after approving 500' just around the corner. Gives them option if they want to exercise them.

Status
Not open for further replies.