Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you think about it, summer 2022 would be the perfect opening date. It gives enough time to build the resort, it allows you to bounce back after WDW's huge year, and more people add that to their summer vacation plans.

Also, Diagon Alley, Volcano Bay, and Super Nintendo World were/will be built in a little under three years. That gives a pretty good reference for how long it'll take to build the new park.
Well, if it is treated like IOA, each "land" will recieve a producer and be on its own schedule...Essentially, each land could be built simultaneously....If they are doing it like IOA of course haha

As @Marni1971 always reminds people, the entirety of EPCOT Center was built in just 3 years. So it is possible.

The difference between now and then though is that there's so much construction currently going on in Orlando that finding enough people and equipment to get the job done in such a short amount of time will be tough. I'd say why rush it and just shoot for 2022.

Not from a source and not an insider by any means but Universal is DEFINITELY in long terms plans to be included in the transportation plans bringing rail or BRT to tourist district. So that is the good news.

Brightline could change that though. We shall see.

As @Marni1971 always reminds people, the entirety of EPCOT Center was built in just 3 years. So it is possible.

The difference between now and then though is that there's so much construction currently going on in Orlando that finding enough people and equipment to get the job done in such a short amount of time will be tough. I'd say why rush it and just shoot for 2022.

And stricter OSHA labor safety laws, higher costs of construction, more existing infrastructure around the construction site.... Oh and also they want people to like it :lol:

Not from a source and not an insider by any means but Universal is DEFINITELY in long terms plans to be included in the transportation plans bringing rail or BRT to tourist district. So that is the good news.

Brightline could change that though. We shall see.

Brightline is finally completed down here in South Florida. They have stations in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. Everybody seems to be very complimentary about it, they just need to stop running people over as there have been multiple deaths (I think 6) caused by Brightline trains since they started service.

They are still raising money and waiting on approval to expand service from West Palm Beach to Orlando. They are facing a lot of opposition from everyone living along the route north of West Palm, but I'm sure it will still get pushed through. Shoot, they've already built the station at Orlando International Airport. Also, they would need to build a new rail line from Cocoa Beach to Orlando, but they've already acquired much of the land. At this point, the earliest they could be up and running is sometime in 2021.

I am not in favor of it, but I don't see a way in which this doesn't happen at this point. It has the potential to bring a ton of more tourists to Orlando. I could see people combining a cruise in Miami along with a trip up to Orlando.

I think his logic is that Universal typically takes 30months to build their parks (USF and IOA) and you could think that Universal has started groundwork. Having said that, this is an ultra modern theme park and will be far more advanced than what was built 20 years ago.

I think 2021 is possible but highly improbable.
Technology for building and site prep has gotten a lot better since since the last parks were built too.

Technology for building and site prep has gotten a lot better since since the last parks were built too.

It’s all pros and cons. The other huge benefit that Universal have compared to IOA is that they’re working with a blank canvas instead of having to build in stages. They had to build half the car park so they could free up the old USF car park that IOA now resides on.

I think this is going to be a speedy build and even if the park isn’t finalised, they’ll have a good enough idea of what’s going to where to start building the foundations.

Not as much as you think. Construction can only go so quickly, and you can only plan for so much.

I think theme park fans have a fundamental misunderstanding when it comes to construction. In the construction world, fast almost always means bad. It means things cut from projects, contractors making mistakes, or adding extra labor that takes things over budget. The Potter Coaster, Fast, Fallon, Kong, and VB all (and I mean all) suffered as projects because of deadlines. VB being the worst from a quality and safety perspective and Gringotts being the worst from a guest perspective. They opened Gringotts with 3 RVs and something like 75% reliability. That's embarrassing.

I understand we want things open yesterday, but it's never a creative designer or project manager that sets these aggressive deadlines. It's always someone higher up and things always get cut or missed. It's truly a case of be careful what you wish for.

A methodical, deliberate approach will get everyone the true 3rd gate they all want. Not higher ups demanding earlier deadlines.

I've brought this up before, but historically from ground breaking to opening for most parks is around 3 years. So assuming they start this year then 2021 would put them at an average pace. Universals recent track record has been somewhat accelerated so I would find it odd if they took a slow approach to building their 3rd park.

Supposedly?

...Pardon me, I am an idiot for not remembering that Universal already announced that the T2 venue would get something in 2019.

source.gif

3 Years seems tight especially when considering they have to build at least one on-site hotel, parking/transportation infrastructure, and 2nd CityWalk.
You mean kind of like when they built IoA with construction starting in 1997, scheduled to open in 2000 but actually opening in 1999.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.