Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teebs, you may want to look at the Property Appraiser records a little more closely. Anything on the County Appraiser Map that is marked UCPM is no longer Universal land, and the newer UCDP doesn't own anything down there according to the records I've found and seen (I've clicked on pretty much any property with an ownership listing I didn't recognize and cross-referenced).

Just wanted to bring this back up because Spirit over at Magic is saying Universal is looking to buy more land, build a third park, a water park, more hotels, and that every plot of land in IoA/USF will have construction on it by 2018.

I'm not holding my breath, but I figured I'd share.

Just wanted to bring this back up because Spirit over at Magic is saying Universal is looking to buy more land, build a third park, a water park, more hotels, and that every plot of land in IoA/USF will have construction on it by 2018.

I'm not holding my breath, but I figured I'd share.

Why would you say your not holding your breath? Just curious is all. I mean I personally don't know of all being done and I'm willing to bet neither does he but I do know Universal will continue this assault for many moons and there is more blue sky being planned and in development. Just look at Universal Studios alone 18 months ago, and where we stand today. If I had said Despicable Me, Night Show, Parade, and Mummy upgrades in 2012. Transformers, Simpsons Land, Rockit Upgrades, and numerous park wide upgrades in 2013, and then 2 Etickets inside of Phase 2 of Potter where Jaws sits in 2014. People would have admitted me and said i was crazy if I said this :lol: But here we are, smack dab in the middle of the largest and most aggressive expansion plan we have seen.

Why would you say your not holding your breath? Just curious is all. I mean I personally don't know of all being done and I'm willing to bet neither does he but I do know Universal will continue this assault for many moons and there is more blue sky being planned and in development. Just look at Universal Studios alone 18 months ago, and where we stand today. If I had said Despicable Me, Night Show, Parade, and Mummy upgrades in 2012. Transformers, Simpsons Land, Rockit Upgrades, and numerous park wide upgrades in 2013, and then 2 Etickets inside of Phase 2 of Potter where Jaws sits in 2014. People would have admitted me and said i was crazy if I said this :lol: But here we are, smack dab in the middle of the largest and most aggressive expansion plan we have seen.

Because land is expensive, especially when people know A) You're boxed in and B) You're making a ton of money.

I don't doubt the additions of rides or hotels, and possibly the water park, at the resort, but the purchase of land needs to be done soon before Universal's success prices them out of the market.

I don't know if this holds true for land in this location, which is in a tourist and business central, but real estate is hugely depreciated right now, but at the same time prices (as well as interest rates) seem to be slowly rising again. So, supposing that this land in Orlando is also depreciated, right now is the time to buy. Then, whether they build on it or not, they will have a much more valuable piece of land in their hands a few years down the road.

I don't know if this holds true for land in this location, which tourist and business central, but real estate is hugely depreciated right now, but at the same time prices (as well as interest rates) seem to be slowly rising again. So, supposing that this land in Orlando is also depreciated, right now is the time to buy. Then, whether they build on it or not, they will have a much more valuable piece of land in their hands a few years down the road.

Unfortunately, the land Uni needs (I'm assuming) is already in use. The only land I see them trying to acquire is the Major Boulevard are where there are hotels set up.

I don't see them expanding out of their current parks until they are fully fleshed out, but I think if they were going to buy and sit on land now would be the time.

I have heard the plan calls for 5 more hotels for a total of just over 6000 more hotel rooms.

This I can believe, because the have some land for this and can buy out other hotels in the area and renovate them.

I still don't know where they would find the land for a 3rd gate though.... that area is very developed.

I don't think Universal's current success has any signs of stopping. People keep coming, and the parks are consistently packed even during what used to be slow times of the year. I think that Universal should keep investing now so that they keep as many people on site for as long as possible. A water park and more hotels would be valuable and profitable assets for Universal to have under its belt.

And if this is the plan:

I have heard the plan calls for 5 more hotels for a total of just over 6000 more hotel rooms.

Then a third gate would be appropriate :thumbs: Question is, where? :shrug:

Does this mean that USF and IOA will be inaccessible?

What Spirit was saying is that every single expansion pad (beside MiB, behind Thunder Falls Terrace, the pad in Seuss, where the old Hard Rock Cafe was, etc) in both parks will either have an operating attraction or one under construction by 2018.

As far as I can recall (I can look it up if someone wants me to), the prices for the land on Major Blvd. are relatively affordable compared to land to the south of the resort. It would also make sense for them to take over the hotels that already exist over there (Double Tree alone would add about 750 rooms), but I think the total number of rooms in hotels they would leave standing (the Days Inn is a hotel I would expect them to bulldoze or gut to the point of being practically all new construction) would be less than 2000, so that's still about 4,000 more rooms to build to get to that 6,000 mark.

So, would Comcast buy out all the hotels across Kirkman? The other option would be to buy out south and all the kitch on international drive.
Question becomes, would it be a connected resort; is that important to this overall project?

This I can believe, because the have some land for this and can buy out other hotels in the area and renovate them.

I still don't know where they would find the land for a 3rd gate though.... that area is very developed.

There would need to be demolition of the area in Major Boulevard. Basically below, red would be a theme park, blue would be a water park, and yellow would be a resort area. A complete guess by me, but it would work.

universalexpansion.png

Status
Not open for further replies.