Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hits the big four as far as I'm concerned

1) Family Friendly
2) Expansive Environments
3) Nostalgia
4) Merch Potential

Seems like a logical choice

You all are missing the biggest thing, the ability to be able to turn into theme park attractions. Hunger games is a huge franchise doesn't mean its easy to create rides based off it. Same thing with Twilight and to some degree though everyone is going to attack me on it Lord of the Rings. it will make a beautiful area but when it comes down to rides and shows, it doesn't lend itself well. However, it would bring people in the park.

You all are missing the biggest thing, the ability to be able to turn into theme park attractions. Hunger games is a huge franchise doesn't mean its easy to create rides based off it. Same thing with Twilight and to some degree though everyone is going to attack me on it Lord of the Rings. it will make a beautiful area but when it comes down to rides and shows, it doesn't lend itself well. However, it would bring people in the park.
Mario Kart racing. Done.

No problem Durden!!! We don't hate you man we just hate baseless speculation. Your cool dude!!!

Nintendo is perfect for the theme park world it really is, it's just the fact that Nintendo won't give any rights to anybody especially from the company that almost bankrupted them back in the donkey kong arcade game. For those reasons It's about as possible as DC land. It's definitely not a company that's easy to negotiate with

Last edited:
I agree, nobody hates you or wants you to leave, mahn. If anything, you could just differentiate from whats logical vs what you simply would like to see.

The thing about Nintendo...its still a niche, despite what numbers say. Sure, Mario may have sold a million games but thats because hes been around for so long, and most importantly, its the same core group of video gamers buying all the things. If you sell a million games in the Mario Party series, for instance, thats not a million different people buying the games, its a core group buying each new game as they come out. And besides that, isnt Wii the lowest-performing console when compared to Xbox and Playstation?

Ronald McDonald is a recognizable character too :lol:. But do we really think he could head part of a major theme park?

I agree, nobody hates you or wants you to leave, mahn. If anything, you could just differentiate from whats logical vs what you simply would like to see.

The thing about Nintendo...its still a niche, despite what numbers say. Sure, Mario may have sold a million games but thats because hes been around for so long, and most importantly, its the same core group of video gamers buying all the things. If you sell a million games in the Mario Party series, for instance, thats not a million different people buying the games, its a core group buying each new game as they come out. And besides that, isnt Wii the lowest-performing console when compared to Xbox and Playstation?

Ronald McDonald is a recognizable character too :lol:. But do we really think he could head part of a major theme park?
The Wii sold like hotcakes. It's the Wii U that underperformed. And it wasn't just selling to "gamers". It was selling to families because of the motion sensing element, which was new at the time. Mario is a huge IP that has been around for decades, meaning families buy knowing that they or their kid can have a great time playing the game.

I'm not saying that everyone is a huge mario fan, but most people have at least played a form of the game and most enjoy it. It's simple and enjoyable. I have no research to say that it would be a hit as a land, but I don't thin it would flop either. The amount of gameboys that get sold is incredible still and many are buying for those IPs.

I'm not exactly sure if I even know what i'm trying to say here. All I know is Mario is a strong IP and I just don't believe it to be niche. Families are the target audience, FAMILIES. Anytime you are targeting families and succeeding, you are beyond a niche.

I think the biggest problem with a theme park area based on Mario would be translating the art style into a physical environment. Harry Potter or the like is easy because it's realistic in terms of textures and materials, if not building shapes themselves, but Mario would be difficult due to the graphical style and the change in style undergone during its lifetime. Would you represent the classic Super Mario Bros look, or the latest Wii Mario Galaxy look? Whichever you did would displease some of the fans. And I think game graphics would be even harder to translate to reality than cartoons in Toon Lagoon or Seuss, personally.

If they can do Seuss they can do mario, too bad it's out of the realm of possibility. I can see Disney doing a mario land because apperently mario is going to be a giant role in wreck it Ralph 2. But then again they aren't doing anything sooooo

I think the biggest problem with a theme park area based on Mario would be translating the art style into a physical environment. Harry Potter or the like is easy because it's realistic in terms of textures and materials, if not building shapes themselves, but Mario would be difficult due to the graphical style and the change in style undergone during its lifetime. Would you represent the classic Super Mario Bros look, or the latest Wii Mario Galaxy look? Whichever you did would displease some of the fans. And I think game graphics would be even harder to translate to reality than cartoons in Toon Lagoon or Seuss, personally.

I would imagine they would have to be inventive with how they built it, but, I don't think it is impossible with the right textures and materials..I imagined the Far Far Away castle in Singapore as Peach's castle when I first saw it..they can do it..

If they can do Seuss they can do mario, too bad it's out of the realm of possibility. I can see Disney doing a mario land because apperently mario is going to be a giant role in wreck it Ralph 2. But then again they aren't doing anything sooooo
Sugar Rush needs to happen...it wont though...here's hoping Disney doesn't buy him and never use him like they have all the other stuff they've bought..

Two thoughts now that I've caught up on 4 pages.

I don't think you need to round out the first two parks before opening a third gate. I do think you need to fill in the holes, but it would be helpful to have a third park if for no other reason than to take down parts that need overlays or replacements for a while without negatively impacting what you have to offer resortwide. That is to say, open the third gate and then take down Toon Lagoon and Disaster for a year each. It can help accelerate development elsewhere in the resort. The issue that this could create is that once you get your three parks all up to snuff, THEN you have to have the attendance to support all three parks. It's a balancing act in the beginning leading up to sustainability.

Also, I'd love to see the third gate be based around genres. Horror, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Drama. It gives the park the Universal je nais se quoi without requiring it to be overrun by IPs from the beginning.

I personally would like more lands like "sci fi city" at Singapore than IP based lands. Manly because everything can be replaced without worries instead of basing an entire land on something like despicable me where in 20 years people will probably be scratching their heads at it. That's where I think this third park could really shine from IOA. Over there if you want to take out one ride you gotta take out the entire land aswell (with exceptions) this could really be another never ending park like USF if they tried

Maybe stop being so condescending?

I'm 18... believe me, I'm not trying to. It seems any time I bring anything up people treat me like I'm Forrest Gump.. and if you all hate me, then I'll leave. I love the parks as much as you guys but I guess my opinion is never valid. Not trying to troll.

But adios, I guess...

You remind me of myself when I first signed up. We all have the ability to shoot for it. Like yourself, I was super super excited because I'd been reading for years before joining. I'd post this and that not putting logic behind it. (Not that you don't just saying maybe your excitement steers others in the wrong direction for your reasoning of posts)

You and I always have a good debating conversation. Don't leave the forum dude. Your're cool.!:thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

More Hotels = More options for people to stay on site and more people staying onsite...that's about it

I fail to see how more hotels are somehow proof of a 3rd gate..Uni and IOA are hardly ever at capacity where MK hits capacity on a regular basis...that's a problem
Not only that Magic kingdom has far more attractions per land.

TOmorrowland alone has 8 attractions.

I'd have to go to
Marvel Super Hero Island
Toon Lagoon
Jurassic to do eight attractions. That's half the park lol.

Not only that 7 of those attractions I can't or won't do due to spinning, heights, water, and height requirements, weather.

So I get your point and agree.

Yeah manha if you go I'll definitely miss you, I've been in this situation before (frozen is a fad, will the mine train bomb) where just nobody is with me and it gets cringy. But it's fine because as long as you don't start being actually hurtful (you weren't) you'll always pull out of it. We are definitely a very forgiving bunch and we probably took it a bit too far. I personally love brainstorming with you and it'll be a bummer if you go. I hope your reading this :thumbs:

I wonder how many kids today know who Mario is but not Woody Woodpecker..

The one thing is it's Nintendo: they seem somewhat protective of their IP. They haven't even had a Mario cartoon in at least 20 years, and after the movie it seems they became somewhat more protective. If something could be worked out (and Nintendo could probably use some of the money), and secure it for places like Japan too, then great. But it still seems like a pipedream and there are probably other, more popular IPs they could go after.

Also who says the 3rd park has to be just films or literature? I bet if you asked a majority of the people they wouldn't even know it's supposed to be based on movies and lit. Just go with whatever big IPs you can get.

And like Skip (I think it was him anyway) said, you don't really want to back yourself into a corner before you expand. Do you really need to wait until you're turning people away every day and have full capacity and then take years to build a new park to spread out those crowds, while having no new rides in the first two parks since you used up all the expansion room there too? I can see why some might see it as a bad idea, but they really need to be proactive and not reactive. Don't wait until you're backed into that corner.

Yeah manha if you go I'll definitely miss you, I've been in this situation before (frozen is a fad, will the mine train bomb) where just nobody is with me and it gets cringy. But it's fine because as long as you don't start being actually hurtful (you weren't) you'll always pull out of it. We are definitely a very forgiving bunch and we probably took it a bit too far. I personally love brainstorming with you and it'll be a bummer if you go. I hope your reading this :thumbs:
There is a huge difference between brainstorming and throwing stuff at the wall knowing full well it wont stick...typical of this generation to run away when someone disagrees with their opinion

So, we know Thierry Coup use to be an imagineer and UC is full of ex-imagineers and there are rumblings Wondersea Island is taking ideas from an never developed waterpark that Thierry was a part of, I wonder if the third park will be all the awesome projects they thought of that Disney didn't utilize like Beastly Kingdom becoming Lost Continent, etc. I mean you have the people who created those ideas right there and create the most immerse land.

Status
Not open for further replies.