Universal Orlando Resort's Photographic-phobia | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort's Photographic-phobia

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JungleSkip

V.I.P. Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
What the hell is Universal thinking? Reeljustice just put up an editorial on Parkscope about Universal's recent dealings with photographers and bloggers, and I sent them a series civil complaints over twitter about it. It really is ridiculous when it comes down to it. Harassing people when they're doing nothing but taking pictures in a place they've paid to be from areas where they're allowed to go isn't a way to help grow your burgeoning fanbase. It's going to annoy, anger, and push people away.

They should be embracing the fact that people are incredibly EXCITED to get news and updates from their resort. They should welcome the free press and the free PR. To not do so is foolish.

I know this is more of a diatribe than a discussion topic, but I want to get the discussion and topic in people's heads and in as many places as possible in the hope that someone from UOR realizes how foolish this is and puts a stop to it.

I love what the resort has been doing. The future is brighter now than in any other time of its existence, I'd say. I just want them to realize it and let people enjoy it.

Last edited:
When I was there this Saturday, I was taking a picture of the crane by SS44 and the Event Staff TM said, "No pictures here!" I said, "Huh?". He replied, "NO PICTURES!!". I then shut my camera off and walked away. He approached me and said, "I need to see the lens cap ON!" I said, "Ok." And went on my way.

I just don't get what the "big secret" is, it's obvious to anyone visiting that there is construction going on. Do they think these people are spies from Disney or something? And if they were what good is a bunch of construction photos do? If anything these photos just build excitement and hype for the attraction. I just don't get it.

"We start carrying semi automatics, they buy automatics, we start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds. "

They should stop blaming their customers and start looking into who's leaking the information and working with outside vendors to maintain secrecy.

When I was there this Saturday, I was taking a picture of the crane by SS44 and the Event Staff TM said, "No pictures here!" I said, "Huh?". He replied, "NO PICTURES!!". I then shut my camera off and walked away. He approached me and said, "I need to see the lens cap ON!" I said, "Ok." And went on my way.

I would have asked to speak to a manager, and then kept taking pics.

I would have asked to speak to a manager, and then kept taking pics.
Apparently at the Despicable Me Media Event, 3 different sites were all told not to take pictures of SS44 construction.

We've started quite the fuss about all of this on Twitter. @UniversalORL has certainly been made aware of our displeasure.

Apparently at the Despicable Me Media Event, 3 different sites were all told not to take pictures of SS44 construction.

We've started quite the fuss about all of this on Twitter. @UniversalORL has certainly been made aware of our displeasure.

I don't understand the malfunction, so if your camera is pointed in the direction of the crane any where, in either park, the picture nazis are gonna come callin?
Busch Gardens had no problem when Cheetah Hunt was being built, they even had a sign up called the overloook while the ride was under construction.

I mean will they really kick you out of the park for taking pictures?

Seems pretty asinine

I'm not buying any of this. They will not do anything to you. You can take pictures of anything you want. Just don't stick your camera over the wall.

If someone asks you to stop... Why would you not ask to speak to a manager? I don't get this.

Also if they told me to "put the lens cap on" I would say “no”. They can't tell you what to do with your stuff. What if they told you to “pull your pants down” or “take off” or “put on your hat”.

I DON'T BUY IT!!

Next time someone is asked to stop taking pics take a pic of the guy right as he starts talking. Then ask for a manager. Then take a pic of the manager.

Until I see pics of the people telling people to stop I do not buy that this happens. And with the great shots we got the other day I again don’t buy it.

Seems like they still haven't gotten a good grasp on how to treat their audience. I'm sure they'll learn in time, but it's very frustrating. They should to be pointed to the Fantasyland discussion boards to be shown what happens when there's no buzz on your constructions.

I'm not buying any of this. They will not do anything to you. You can take pictures of anything you want. Just don't stick your camera over the wall.

If someone asks you to stop... Why would you not ask to speak to a manager? I don't get this.

Also if they told me to "put the lens cap on" I would say “no”. They can't tell you what to do with your stuff. What if they told you to “pull your pants down” or “take off” or “put on your hat”.

I DON'T BUY IT!!

Next time someone is asked to stop taking pics take a pic of the guy right as he starts talking. Then ask for a manager. Then take a pic of the manager.

Until I see pics of the people telling people to stop I do not buy that this happens. And with the great shots we got the other day I again don’t buy it.

I can tell you that this indeed did happen. They weren't mean about it or anything. You don't believe me?

This is a picture of the TM's who talked to me:
7585456758_0729f3c520_o.jpg

Last edited:

I DON'T BUY IT!!

You not buying it doesn't mean it isn't true. I had conversations on twitter today with pretty notable people in the blogoshpere that had it happen to them, and people on this very site have said it's happened to them.

In my honest opinion if they ask me to stop taking pictures, I would ask them why? If they give me some asinine response, I would return with my response of, am i trespassing? they would say no....am I putting my personal property into an area that is otherwise marked as off limits?..no...so where do they get off telling me whan I can and can't take a picture of as long as I'm following the rules of the park.

In no way do they have a ticket contract or printed on their tickets that guests are banned and in no way possible allowed to take pictures within the park.

- - - Updated - - -

My question though is what will they/can they do if you tell them no?

I DON'T BUY IT!!

So, do you think a bunch of members and other media sites came together and decided to make this story up or something? Already included in the list of people who have stated that they have experienced this:

- BriMan
- Hatetofly
- JokerMan
- kingeric
- 3 other media sites who attended the DM press event
- Several other members.

jennifer-lawrence.gif

In my honest opinion if they ask me to stop taking pictures, I would ask them why? If they give me some asinine response, I would return with my response of, am i trespassing? they would say no....am I putting my personal property into an area that is otherwise marked as off limits?..no...so where do they get off telling me whan I can and can't take a picture of as long as I'm following the rules of the park.

In no way do they have a ticket contract or printed on their tickets that guests are banned and in no way possible allowed to take pictures within the park.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats what you need a manager for.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not really the point though. You shouldn't have to ask "Why?" because they shouldn't be telling you to stop.:lol:

Universal is acting like Steven Spielberg when people saw the mechanical shark for Jaws before it premiered. Does Universal really think if people see the construction of a ride people aren't going to ride it? That's crazy.

I have a video of one of the Universal employees waving his hand in my face and saying "no pictures over here". I should have said "but it's a video." I was already sad about leaving the park and flying north 1000 miles and then this guy just made everything a million times worse. I went form sad to pissed off in a matter of seconds. Not exactly how I wanted to end my last day at the park for a while.