Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of PortAventura

@pablo_es Out of curiosity do the Universal Classic Monsters still have the cultural relevance over there as they do in the US?
Dracula and Frankenstein do have relevance, they are legendaries. The Mummy is also known. I don't know any other characters.

If the return of Universal happens and they build a new park it would be a very good idea to include a "Halloween" area like Epic Universe's one or do the "Halloween Horror Nights". In Spain Halloween is very successful and it is the season with more attendance in the parks.
About 1 hour away from Port Aventura there's a scream park exclusively for Halloween called "Horrorland" which only opens October/November and is very very successful.

I really wish Universal had a park in the UK (England, to be more specific). Nonetheless, if these rumors are true, at least Universal will finally have a park in Europe!

Uncharted has been officially announced. Opens on June 17th and the name is 'Uncharted. El enigma de Penitence' ('Uncharted. The Enigma of Penitence' - Penitence is the town). Here you have the announcement and the current status of the works.

photo_5967335988520926863_y.jpg

photo_5958349250490382932_y.jpg

Looking into the element further and I have a small bit I can share but it’s likely not what people would want to hear. From my understanding, the principle of the meets last year between NBCU and Port Aventura lie more in the terms of IP licensing rather than simply reclaiming the park proper. Despite what Pablo has previously spoken of.

Could mean they may look to bring new licensed material to replace the old, could mean upholding current licensing agreements, but them buying PortAventura is not the thing in mind it seems.

head-tilt-malamute.gif

At this point I would possibly entertain the idea that perhaps Universal could license its name, or even select IPs, to the park, but it does not appear that an acquisition is happening. If it were, they would have to talk about it on an earnings call with investors.

But also, Universal may have their own plans for new experiences around the world, and may no longer be interested in partnering up or acquiring an existing park. We shall see I guess.

It does not
I'm sorry, but I've been burned by fake angled, blurry, mysteriously-appearing supposed leaked internal documents before. I just won't believe it until we have something more substantial in hand.

At this point I would possibly entertain the idea that perhaps Universal could license its name, or even select IPs, to the park, but it does not appear that an acquisition is happening. If it were, they would have to talk about it on an earnings call with investors.

But also, Universal may have their own plans for new experiences around the world, and may no longer be interested in partnering up or acquiring an existing park. We shall see I guess.

I'm sorry, but I've been burned by fake angled, blurry, mysteriously-appearing supposed leaked internal documents before. I just won't believe it until we have something more substantial in hand.
Licensing was neither in the plans nor possible.

A full takeover is taking place right now. It will become an official Universal resort by 2025, just in time for the park's 30th anniversary. New systems are being implemented in order to keep the resort up to Universal standards.

IP integration should start next season.

There is also a worker recruitment campaign scheduled under the tagline "Here you can".
You'll be able to find a filling for such trademark request under the European Union Intellectual Property Office.

Last edited:
There is also a worker recruitment campaign scheduled under the tagline "Here you can".
You'll be able to find a filling for such trademark request under the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
This is a weak argument. 'Epic Universe' is filed in the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office, but doesn't mean that the park will be built in Turkey. Trademarks are IP (Intellectual Property), and like patents, will get registered worldwide regardless of actual use.

Come back with a better Photoshop.

1689444518846.png

Last edited:
This is a weak argument. 'Epic Universe' is filed in the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office, but doesn't mean that the park will be built in Turkey. Trademarks are IP (Intellectual Property), and like patents, will get registered worldwide regardless of actual use.

View attachment 19236
NBCUniversal Media LLC. isn't the same legal entity as Universal City Studios LLC, and their approaches to IPs are vastly different.

The "Here You Can" trademark was only filed in the US, UK and EU intellectual property offices. It is the first and only recruitment campaign to have been given such treatment. Besides, this is just a distraction.
Changes are already happening on site.

Last edited:
Licensing was neither in the plans nor possible.

A full takeover is taking place right now. It will become an official Universal resort by 2025, just in time for the park's 30th anniversary. New systems are being implemented in order to keep the resort up to Universal standards.

IP integration should start next season.

Do you mind posting the source of the trademark request? It’s helpful to the forum conversations if proof is in the thread. Thanks!