Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 215 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One new poster, who disappeared after his comment, really isn't much of a credible source. And it sounded like his alleged kid was working with a landscaping crew, which often uses younger people and unskilled labor. Kind of the nature of that business..... I certainly wouldn't read too much into that single isolated claim.

Reactions: Teebin
I know, I'm just saying I'm gonna be shocked if Universal doesn't win this right quickly. Comcast has a lot of money to throw around.
The issue isn't money; it's more as @fryoj and @Disneyhead are stating. It's more of an actual legal issue:

From my reading of the case, the issue is that the original restrictions on the UCPM III LLC land were made to apply to the benefit of Universal (i.e. other theme park operators are not allowed to build theme parks on UCPM III LLC land). Under the original terms, Universal is in the clear to do whatever they want with the land.

But it's not that simple: According to Stan Thomas, his company revised those restrictions to make it so that anybody who wants to build a theme park needs the permission of the main owner of all the land: UCPM III LLC (which he controls with the remaining 400-500 acres of land).

So the question is, what will the court do about that?

And tied to that is the other question of what Stan Thomas wants? (Most likely he wants a golden parachute type offer where he can offload the remaining 400-500 acres and UCPM III LLC and Fourth Quarter Properties at a premium price, so he can put that money towards his other projects).

It's a somewhat complex legal question though because the bankruptcy process changed the land ownership instead of a normal transaction.

The best outcome that would get a new park built by 2022 at the latest would be for Comcast to put up the money to make Stan Thomas walk away, but it's not that simple because he might be asking for something ridiculous like $2 billion...

I think the new park isn’t going to be comparable to anything else we’ve seen in Orlando. We haven’t seen a new theme park in almost 20 years and things have advanced a hell of a lot since. The level of detail that Potter and Avatar have introduced, people are going to be expecting that park wide and it’s going to take time, even with the fastest builders in the world.

Luckily, the new land is a blank canvas and they don’t have the headache that they had with IOA and CityWalk. They don’t have to build a car park, rip up the old car park, build a path to USF and then build around that path and then get to work on IOA.

I’m really going to be fascinated when this project really gets going. Rumours, leaks, announcements, more rumours, more leaks, construction starting, drones, blueprints, photos through fences, press days, soft openings, official openings, reviews, debates, expansions.

I think the new park isn’t going to be comparable to anything else we’ve seen in Orlando. We haven’t seen a new theme park in almost 20 years and things have advanced a hell of a lot since. The level of detail that Potter and Avatar have introduced, people are going to be expecting that park wide and it’s going to take time, even with the fastest builders in the world.

Luckily, the new land is a blank canvas and they don’t have the headache that they had with IOA and CityWalk. They don’t have to build a car park, rip up the old car park, build a path to USF and then build around that path and then get to work on IOA.

I’m really going to be fascinated when this project really gets going. Rumours, leaks, announcements, more rumours, more leaks, construction starting, drones, blueprints, photos through fences, press days, soft openings, official openings, reviews, debates, expansions.

Yep, I'm looking forward to this moving over from a rumour thread to announced. Will be the longest thread ever.
Orlando eye are looking forward to it too :lol:

One of the things I love about Disney is that each resort/park really has it's own identity (Grand Floridian, The Polynesian, The Boardwalk, etc.). When I was there Labor Day weekend I couldn't believe how close Aventura was to Sapphire Falls, Cabana Bay and Volcano Bay. I really feel like they tried to do too much with too little space. To further prove my point is the fact that Aventura has to go vertical because there's literally no space for it. I wish they would've spaced everything out a little more with all the land they have across I-4 where Wet n Wild was in addition to all the land for the next park.

I guess I see things differently. We've stayed 'on site' at Disney, but we really found it was easier to stay in the Disney area. Even when at a park, it is time consuming/taxing to visit another gate. Heck, an afternoon rest from the sun back at the room often felt like work (save Contemp when at MK).

Going to UNI, the current price point allows us to enjoy the current offerings all within walking distance of an 'on site' room.

Having Ventura there just adds more rooms to the same area, but at the same time UNI is sort of boxing in their bubble.

I've stayed on Kirkman before, but it is just not the same as truly being in the 'bubble'.

So I guess I like what UNI is doing, but feel Disney does not use their space wisely.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I guess I see things differently. We've stayed 'on site' at Disney, but we really found it was easier to stay in the Disney area. Even when at a park, it is time consuming/taxing to visit another gate. Heck, an afternoon rest from the sun back at the room often felt like work (save Contemp when at MK).

Going to UNI, the current price point allows us to enjoy the current offerings all within walking distance of an 'on site' room.

Having Ventura there just adds more rooms to the same area, but at the same time UNI is sort of boxing in their bubble.

I've stayed on Kirkman before, but it is just not the same as truly being in the 'bubble'.

So I guess I like what UNI is doing, but feel Disney does not use their space wisely.

Both have positives and negatives. I love that I can walk out of one of the Uni parks, eat lunch or dinner at a CityWalk or Resort restaurant, and be back in the park in 10 minutes afterwards. At Disney, it's a pain to get from a park to nearly any resort. But at Universal there's nothing like the tucked away majesty of Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I've seen a few interesting stories on the news this morning that they're expecting a vast exodus of Puerto Rico residents to move to Florida since the Island's economy and infrastructure is severely damaged. The reports are expecting numbers on the order of Katrina when hundreds of thousands Louisiana residents left the state to settle in Texas, mostly in the Houston area. They expect the major destination to be Orlando since it has such a large population of former Puerto Rico residents....I'm sure many of those will be skilled construction/trade workers and unskilled construction laborers. There should be no shortage of workers for all of those Disney & Universal projects.

Both have positives and negatives. I love that I can walk out of one of the Uni parks, eat lunch or dinner at a CityWalk or Resort restaurant, and be back in the park in 10 minutes afterwards. At Disney, it's a pain to get from a park to nearly any resort. But at Universal there's nothing like the tucked away majesty of Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Its apples and oranges and its not really fair. Disneyland vs UOR is a more apt comparison.

WDW is in a league of it's own.

yes, I get it, but that is not what I meant. I am sure I would love a Disneyland trip! I have not been since '85, so lots has changed! Sadly, I bet I would find better value staying at a non Disneyland hotel in the same area.

I hate that I need to use Disney or UNI by name. I was responding to a comment about how close Aventura was to SF. I live within 3 hours of Orlando, so I see it as my staycation spot. So, I am talking about Orlando. UNI can 'borrow' from what works out West and what works from the East. Heck, when you look at 'attraction' count, it would seem that Disney in the East could do with just two parks without the need for four. (please don't take that wrong, Animal Kingdom is beautiful because of its scale....but for folks that just want rides...I do not know).

So, I was really just trying to point out for Orlando, I think UNI is smart to build more rooms in front of SF.

I've seen a few interesting stories on the news this morning that they're expecting a vast exodus of Puerto Rico residents to move to Florida since the Island's economy and infrastructure is severely damaged. The reports are expecting numbers on the order of Katrina when hundreds of thousands Louisiana residents left the state to settle in Texas, mostly in the Houston area. They expect the major destination to be Orlando since it has such a large population of former Puerto Rico residents....I'm sure many of those will be skilled construction/trade workers and unskilled construction laborers. There should be no shortage of workers for all of those Disney & Universal projects.

I never came out and said it, my feelings on why F&F could be big. I do not know how to be PC in this world, but I always thought F&F's numbers are better off shore. I always thought this could be another way for UNI to diversify, a family ride that appeals to a different demo.

yes, I get it, but that is not what I meant. I am sure I would love a Disneyland trip! I have not been since '85, so lots has changed! Sadly, I bet I would find better value staying at a non Disneyland hotel in the same area.

I hate that I need to use Disney or UNI by name. I was responding to a comment about how close Aventura was to SF. I live within 3 hours of Orlando, so I see it as my staycation spot. So, I am talking about Orlando. UNI can 'borrow' from what works out West and what works from the East. Heck, when you look at 'attraction' count, it would seem that Disney in the East could do with just two parks without the need for four. (please don't take that wrong, Animal Kingdom is beautiful because of its scale....but for folks that just want rides...I do not know).

So, I was really just trying to point out for Orlando, I think UNI is smart to build more rooms in front of SF.

I never came out and said it, my feelings on why F&F could be big. I do not know how to be PC in this world, but I always thought F&F's numbers are better off shore. I always thought this could be another way for UNI to diversify, a family ride that appeals to a different demo.
I wasn't referring to attractions. My post was in reference to those saying there wouldn't be enough construction workers in the Orlando area to complete all of the Disney & Universal projects in the near future.

I wasn't referring to attractions. My post was in reference to those saying there wouldn't be enough construction workers in the Orlando area to complete all of the Disney & Universal projects in the near future.

sorry, was just multi quoting, but I changed topics in replying to you...guess I should have replied to your part separately. One day I will understand these interwebs!

Reactions: Mad Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.