Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 217 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The announcement was initiated by Nintendo. I would guess that Universal would not have said anything publicly at that point in time if not for Nintendo.
...and the Avatar announcement was initiated by Cameron/FOX. Disney wouldn't have announced so haphazardly otherwise.

I fail to see where there's a difference.

Reactions: Mike S
While I agree that they should get on hotels and Citiwalk across from the convention center asap as those are going to make money just off convention business. My only thought on starting before they have their I's crossed and T's dotted is if the park deal fell through, it could affect what kind of hotels they build. If it's adjacent to a park, a Dreamworks(just an example) hotel makes perfect sense. If the park falls through, that theme wouldn't be that hot of an idea. Of course, a high end Luxury hotel would work for either scenario, and would likely be built close to the Citiwalk, so that might be where they start either way.

I know 'things change' and seem to change quick these days...but, Comcast really seemed to know they would get land to grow. I have no clue how this stuff works, but I recall reading stuff here...I guess it confused me that UNI didn't try for the land at the foreclosure, but from some city council meeting, it seemed they had a deal with the debt holder that got the property in the foreclosure action.

Now, for the types of hotels...well, when folks have a convention in Orlando, I think a lot of folks try to bring their family as they can enjoy Orlando while one attends, then have family time at night...which could help a City Walk complex or any themed hotel.

I know 'things change' and seem to change quick these days...but, Comcast really seemed to know they would get land to grow. I have no clue how this stuff works, but I recall reading stuff here...I guess it confused me that UNI didn't try for the land at the foreclosure, but from some city council meeting, it seemed they had a deal with the debt holder that got the property in the foreclosure action.

Now, for the types of hotels...well, when folks have a convention in Orlando, I think a lot of folks try to bring their family as they can enjoy Orlando while one attends, then have family time at night...which could help a City Walk complex or any themed hotel.
That's because the foreclosure auction was just a legal formality to clear the land of its debt. Colony Capital had bought the $285 million in debt against the land. So their bid of $500k was really $500k + the $285m in debt that they were crediting in order to clear all the debt. Nobody was going to bid over $285.5 million.

Comcast then paid them $130 million for the land cleared of debt. Colony made money because they probably paid less than $100 million for that $285 million in distressed debt (since the recession made it clear Stan Thomas wasn't going to be able to properly finance the debt).

That's how everybody (except Stan Thomas in that transaction) wins.

Not being sure where to put his, Universal has been apparently testing facial recognition programs that may be used for larger developments in the future. And Theme Park University actually just posted a huge article on what they heard on it.

Universal Orlando's Secret Face Recognition Program Revealed - Theme Park University

If this is the wrong place, I apologize and that if it needs to be taken somewhere else, it's understandable; but this is a highly fascinating read to look at for merely implications.

Not being sure where to put his, Universal has been apparently testing facial recognition programs that may be used for larger developments in the future. And Theme Park University actually just posted a huge article on what they heard on it.

Universal Orlando's Secret Face Recognition Program Revealed - Theme Park University

If this is the wrong place, I apologize and that if it needs to be taken somewhere else, it's understandable; but this is a highly fascinating read to look at for merely implications.

What about people with very very close to being indentical twins?

Reactions: Ashhanbre
What about people with very very close to being indentical twins?

A thought comes to mind of that. And it's a thought on how detailed would they go.

That said, I am intrigued if more on the potential rumor of this pops out more, as it seems like if in the right hands, could be a massive game changer for the themed industry.

Wow. Reading that just gets me so excited for the future of UOR! It all seems genius! If their implementation and execution is done well, this could be a game changer... and not just for the theme park industry.

Reactions: Nico
If Apple can get away with putting it in a front acing camera on an iPhone, Universal will be fine here. It's the world we live in now.

I believe MM+ has a facial recognition component as well.

Yeah, it's becoming more and more apart of tech and that I think that Universal in theory, would be probably okay and that it wouldn't have as much issues as per say back a few years ago.

If Apple can get away with putting it in a front facing camera on an iPhone, Universal will be fine here. It's the world we live in now.

Theres a huge difference between opting to buy a phone that is sold specifically on the feature of facial recognition that you then have to set up to use, and going to a park and being forced to use it whether you want to or not. Personally I don't care, but if it ever rolls out like the article describes, there will be plenty of people who do.

Theres a huge difference between opting to buy a phone that is sold specifically on the feature of facial recognition that you then have to set up to use, and going to a park and being forced to use it whether you want to or not. Personally I don't care, but if it ever rolls out like the article describes, there will be plenty of people who do.
I'm sure whatever this ends up being won't be mandatory, if it even happens. They don't want to risk losing guests because they feel uncomfortable over something that can be avoided.

My concern with this is how well this will scale. Sure, it's had a successful trial of staff and executives with a limited number of faces to recognise but once it's tried on the open public, the numbers jump rapidly and it might not be able to cope. It will be like the opening of Volcano Bay all over again.

Reactions: Ashhanbre and fryoj
I'm sure whatever this ends up being won't be mandatory, if it even happens. They don't want to risk losing guests because they feel uncomfortable over something that can be avoided.

Oh I'm sure you can "opt-out". And I'm sure that the little Ipads will have an "opt out" tag on you as it tracks you all day anyway. lol

Reactions: Andysol
Status
Not open for further replies.