Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Amazon-Tolkien/NewLine(WB) deal is complete:
Amazon to Adapt J.R.R. Tolkien’s Globally Renowned Fantasy Novels, The Lord of the Rings, for Television with a Multi Season Production Commitment | Business Wire

Summary is that Amazon has the global TV rights for LOTR: Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.

Next is theme park rights... ;)

I'd love to know how deep they are into those negotiations.

Amazon to Adapt J.R.R. Tolkien’s Globally Renowned Fantasy Novels, The Lord of the Rings, for Television with a Multi Season Production Commitment | Business Wire

Summary is that Amazon has the global TV rights for LOTR: Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.

Ohhh, maybe Liv Tyler gets her own coaster to rival daddy's :ears::p

The estate's willingness to grant new rights for lord of the rings at all bodes well for theme park rights. I assume universal would be the only ones that it would really make sense to pay for them.
Looking at the TV deal, they may require a massive up-front payment for the theme park rights too, perhaps $100m, and a minimum spend in the $500m range.

Only Disney/Universal can afford that, but given the current announced spending of Disney and that Universal can offer larger spaces/projects, it seems pretty clear where it'll go.

I think Tolkien's estate realizes that they do need to build out their IP. Looking at how GoT has filled a void in epic fantasy on TV and how many IPs are moving to theme parks (Potter, Nintendo, Star Wars, etc.), that space always was meant for LOTR.

Looking at the TV deal, they may require a massive up-front payment for the theme park rights too, perhaps $100m, and a minimum spend in the $500m range.

Only Disney/Universal can afford that, but given the current announced spending of Disney and that Universal can offer larger spaces/projects, it seems pretty clear where it'll go.

I think Tolkien's estate realizes that they do need to build out their IP. Looking at how GoT has filled a void in epic fantasy on TV and how many IPs are moving to theme parks (Potter, Nintendo, Star Wars, etc.), that space always was meant for LOTR.
Do you have a figure for the TV deal? I didn't see one and maybe that would give me an idea of the stakes for the park deals.

SoItBegins.jpg

Do you have a figure for the TV deal? I didn't see one and maybe that would give me an idea of the stakes for the park deals.
Yep as stated above the rights were $200-250m (Deadline.com says their source believes the number was close to $250m).

Each season will cost $100-150m to produce. And it includes a potential spinoff series as well.

It's hard to match the numbers up to theme parks as there's no direct equivalence, but based on the TV show numbers, I do think a $75-100m up-front rights fee makes sense given most of what we're discussing is for Orlando. As for build out, based on Harry Potter, that cost will likely exceed $500m across IoA and the next dry park.

Yep as stated above the rights were $200-250m (Deadline.com says their source believes the number was close to $250m).

Each season will cost $100-150m to produce. And it includes a potential spinoff series as well.

It's hard to match the numbers up to theme parks as there's no direct equivalence, but based on the TV show numbers, I do think a $75-100m up-front rights fee makes sense given most of what we're discussing is for Orlando. As for build out, based on Harry Potter, that cost will likely exceed $500m across IoA and the next dry park.
Yeah, I understand. I was wondering if the estate were being reasonable and it sounds like they are.

It should be NBCUniversal Media LLC as the subsidiary owning the parks:

Comcast - SEC Filings

That has the 2011 and on filings for NBCU after Comcast first took 51% ownership of the venture.

Dang it...the old NBCU breakdown and filing was a lot easier to find the deals and contracts for theme park deals as well as upcoming LLCs for projects. Under this new system, Its a lot harder.

My guess is Uni and WB inked the deal in August.

Do we have any guess how much WB makes off the Potter deal? I'm just curious how lucrative it is for both Uni and WB. Clearly they're all counting money hand over fist- but I'm curious how sizeable for each party.

If WB is making solid change here with minimal risk- I could see them pushing LoTR hard because, well... free money. And better brand recognition to boot done in a fantastic manner.

HP is such a phenomenal selling point for Universal. They can show that to any franchise, like LoTR- and prove to them how they are able to keep their franchise authentic, immersive, not corny as hell (Darth Goofy, anyone?), profitable, and genuinely good for the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.