1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Universal Resort Expansion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Universal' started by ReelJustice, Jul 10, 2012.

1. zg44

zg44 Rookie

They get a fixed annual fee and the merchandise fees; based on the fact that it's not an exclusive rights deal, I'd guess that it's somewhere around $8-10m a year fixed + somewhere around $20m+ in merchandise share every year that WB takes home (off probable HP merchandise sales somewhere in the $200m+ range across the 3 park groups). An incredible earning power for a license; their take from their exclusive US deal for DC-Six Flags is somewhere in the low single digit millions for perspective like most deals of this nature (Six Flags paid $3.3 million for DC + Looney Toons in 2011, when they disclosed that on an SEC form).

It'll be interesting to see what happens at renegotiation post-2028; obviously WB won't want to ruin a good thing, but let's be clear here, the deal has paid off many times over for Universal.

2. Frank Drackman

Frank Drackman Premium Member

I have no clue, but theme parks using IPs, well to me, I think WB gets advertising for something they distribute....but when I hear about how many issues HHN seems to have, I guess IP stakeholders see it differently...

Anyway, does WB own the look of the films or something? Is that what would give them a stake?

But to me, I wonder if (outside of the consulting fees), is it just to help keep the product in the public’s eyes for DVD/on demand/tv stations/netflix....I mean in that it might help drive up fees for other use fees of the films....dang, I keep recalling stuff...I worked for Warner at some point in my life, but that was distribution in a time when records and vhs were on top, laser disk and cds were pretty new...there were still phones where you had to dial a number...

3. zg44

zg44 Rookie

It's because Warner's deal with JK Rowling is fairly comprehensive and makes them effectively her salesman for all things Potter. Warner effectively controls the theme park rights, movie rights, game rights, etc. but she gets to keep a significant say in how things are sold and what things look like, and of course she gets a huge percentage of any profits.

Teebin and Frank Drackman like this.
  4. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

zz44, you must tell us why you know so much about contracts and Wall Street and financial dealings... your perspective is much appreciated.

On another note, someone from here is attending the IAAPA. Is it Brian? If so how did you get entrance tickets? I’ve been under the impression that admission is to the trade only.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Frank Drackman likes this.
  5. pat_naughty05

pat_naughty05 Member

I’ve seen a few other theme park blogs posting pictures and videos as well. I don’t know if this is any different than prior years, but it looks like they allow media in.

6. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Veteran Member

From what I can gather, non-members of IAAPA can get in the event for a higher price point; and that would count external individuals who want to see what's going on.

7. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Ah, I didn’t know that. I had a “friend” offer to get me into the show once a time back, that’s why I asked.

8. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Veteran Member

I saw a couple (Midway Mayhem) flashing media passes yesterday so I think they got an invite. Maybe Brian made the "A list".

Joel and Teebin like this.
  9. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

10. zg44

zg44 Rookie

Andysol, Grits0808 and Mike S like this.
  11. JungleSkip

Something to note: Christopher resigned in August. I'm pretty sure Disneyhead said Uni locked up the rights in the past few months.

Seems like it matches up, timeline wise

maroonmol, Andysol, UK-Trigg and 4 others like this.
  12. Miketheboss

Miketheboss Veteran Member

Ewww. Is LOTR still relevant?

13. zg44

zg44 Rookie

Amazon's spending somewhere in the range of $1 billion to produce a multi-season show (and a spinoff) for the pre-Fellowship story. So I'd say very relevant considering that might be the most expensive TV show of all time.

14. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

15. JungleSkip

Come on, you can do better than that

Miketheboss, fryoj and Joel like this.
  16. youhow2

youhow2 Rookie

My body is ready.

Mike S likes this.
  17. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

I'm no LOTR fan, but looking forward to what UC can do with it if this truly happens.

maroonmol, Andysol, jtsalien and 5 others like this.
  18. jrn14

jrn14 Rookie

Yeah Im sure there is some great attractions and a beautiful land in there ... I think the barrel scene from The Hobbit 2? would be a great ride..

19. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Premium Member

Breaking news.... Volcano Bay to be rethemed as Mount Doom !!!

20. LintemuthStudios

LintemuthStudios Rookie

What about the new Dynamic Attractions All Terrain Dark Ride and Flightcycle? Could we see those in a future park? (not sure if this belongs in this thread or blue sky)

youhow2 likes this.