Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can we not go from like zero-to-SCREENZZZZ in like two seconds for once?

It's a big concern considering Universal treated its own IPs as nothing more for 3d simulator screens whereas they treat its external IPs as the main priority, and this seems to be a growing trend for Universal. Harry Potter is still at the hands of Warner Bros. and JK Rowling, and Mario and his pals and other Nintendo-created characters are still at the hands of Nintendo. There's no doubt Beijing will have the most high-tech rides, but we also should never forget how Universal treat its own IPs lately.
In China, I would think The Secret Life of Pets would work better as a dining establishment...

:saywhat:

Barely anyone in the world knows what SLOP is, it's not even that good nor as popular as the Minions. I think Universal should capitalize the Minions with a dark ride instead of a 3d screen ride that the company is treating its own IPs lately. Simulator rides are something people get sick of easily due to the effects.

It's a big concern considering Universal treated its own IPs as nothing more for 3d simulator screens whereas they treat its external IPs as the main priority, and this seems to be a growing trend for Universal. Harry Potter is still at the hands of Warner Bros. and JK Rowling, and Mario and his pals and other Nintendo-created characters are still at the hands of Nintendo. There's no doubt Beijing will have the most high-tech rides, but we also should never forget how Universal treat its own IPs lately.

Barely anyone in the world knows what SLOP is, it's not even that good nor as popular as the Minions. I think Universal should capitalize the Minions with a dark ride instead of a 3d screen ride that the company is treating its own IPs lately. Simulator rides are something people get sick of easily due to the effects.
Regardless of the IP, SloP is going to be a fantastic attraction. It's so good it won't matter if people aren't familiar with it. It's basically all sets and AA's, an attraction Disney would be proud of. Good story, some family thrills, and a really fun journey for the entire family. Something that will be very repeatable. SLoP actually translates into an attraction very well...I can't wait for it. Just hope it makes it to Orlando in addition to it's soon to be Hollywood build.

Hong Kong Disneyland wasn't that hard to beat. I think even USS beats Hong Kong Disneyland in attendance. However Universal overseas park presidents are >>>>> than the ones they hire in the US. Glenn Glumpel former president of USJ who is the biggest reason Nintendo is coming and also was part of the Sanrio deal. He was instrumental in coordinating with Japanese partners.
USS doesn't crack TEAs top 25 whereas HKDL still does, albeit it is a struggling park.

*Insert TEA isn't reputable and favors Disney response here*

(I know, but it's the only public numbers we have)

Barely anyone in the world knows what SLOP is, it's not even that good nor as popular as the Minions..
2016 Most Profitable Movie: ‘Secret Life Of Pets’ Beats ‘Deadpool’, ‘Rogue One’ | Deadline
Box Office: 'Secret Life Of Pets' Becomes Fifth-Biggest Original Hit Ever
70f5f51598.png

:what:

It's a big concern considering Universal treats its own IPs as fillers whereas they treat its external IPs as the main priority, and this seems to be a growing trend for Universal lately. Harry Potter is still at the hands of Warner Bros. and JK Rowling, and Mario and his pals and other Nintendo-created characters are still at the hands of Nintendo. There's no doubt Beijing will have the most high-tech rides, but we also should never forget how Universal treat its own IPs lately and how it will affect future plans for Beijing.

Hopefully it will be bigger and more better than the previous parks.
I wouldn't worry so much about that because some of Universal's top IPs do better in China than they do in the US. So the incentives will be a little different. Fast and the Furious for example is much bigger in China than it is in the US. The animated films as well (KFP, Minions/DM3) tend to do exceptionally well in China as well.

Of course, stuff like Transformers, Kong, and Harry Potter are also big in China.

Either way, you don't need to worry much about this park. It has all the political powers behind it in Beijing, and the big banks in China have credit lines authorized up to $15 billion. They're basically going to make the Beijing resort a 50+% larger version of Orlando when all is said and done. You'll probably end up looking at something like two 250+ acre theme parks + CityWalk + a large water park + at least 5-7 hotels. The entire resort will be somewhere around 1000 acres.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Teebin
I didn't deny they make a lot of money, I'm saying they're not as famous as a pop-icon culture as the Minions and Inside-Out. Heck, I didn't even know them until a few months ago.
I tend to agree that the movie was a fairly flash in the pan money maker, but at the same time, it's got a sequel in the works and the franchise centers around cute animals. You can't really go wrong with cute animals.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I tend to agree that the movie was a fairly flash in the pan money maker, but at the same time, it's got a sequel in the works and the franchise centers around cute animals. You can't really go wrong with cute animals.
I don't disagree with that either, but I wouldn't say "nobody knows what it is." I work with elementary age children fairly often and they LOVE that movie. If Uni pushes the sequel as much as they did the first movie it'll stay huge for a while.

(CMCSA) is bullish on China as its core cable TV business in the U.S. faces challenges from internet video competition.

Comcast on its third-quarter earnings call Thursday said it expects more than a billion dollars in revenue in China after a theme park opens in Beijing around 2020.

"China is a big opportunity. We made virtually no money in China five years ago," said Steve Burke, chief executive of Comcast's NBCUniversal entertainment business. "This year we'll make a couple of hundred million dollars in (revenue), primarily in film, video-on-demand and consumer products. When that Beijing park opens it's not unrealistic to assume we'll make well over a billion dollars in (revenue)."

Comcast plans to open a new theme park in Beijing, with local partners, in 2020.

Comcast was asked to comment on China by one analyst amid recent political developments. China's Communist Party this week gave President Xi Jinping a second five-year term that runs through 2022 and he may stay on beyond that, observers say.

China's government has stepped up scrutiny of technology firms recently. The government has asked tech companies to offer the state a stake in them and a role in corporate decisions, said a report. The government has also cracked down on content posted on social media platforms.

Comcast, meanwhile, has declined to comment on whether it's looking to sell its 45% stake in movie studio Oriental DreamWorks. Comcast bought DreamWorks Animation last year for $3.8 billion.

Comcast Q3 Mixed: Earnings Top Views, Revenue Light | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD