Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

369275ed8689422ead8e4fe157b76ffc.jpeg

This image was released Dec 2017 but seems its been missed. The 1st Park is located on the back right corner and fits the layout of the leaked concept map

This image was released Dec 2017 but seems its been missed. The 1st Park is located on the back right corner and fits the layout of the leaked concept map

Looks like Revenge of the Mummy on the far right next to Waterworld, with WWOHP at the back right. I wonder why Mummy got dropped? I know it's an older ride/movie but it's a fairly generic concept and a good ride.

Looks like Revenge of the Mummy on the far right next to Waterworld, with WWOHP at the back right. I wonder why Mummy got dropped? I know it's an older ride/movie but it's a fairly generic concept and a good ride.

Likely was to be themed to Dark Universe Mummy since it did decent in China however only doing decent in China and not great probably is what killed the ride off. UC also did a lot of focus group testing while making their decisions about what comes to this park.

Themeparx posted new satellite images of construction....looks like there has been one causality from design plans which is the WWOHP expansion area near KFP. It looks like JW got plussed as well as the spacing for KFP and the original WWOHP got larger for development.

Loving this thread!
A brand new Universal Studios theme park - not had one of those since 2001!?!?
(I'm not counting Volcano Bay)

Themeparx posted new satellite images of construction....looks like there has been one causality from design plans which is the WWOHP expansion area near KFP. It looks like JW got plussed as well as the spacing for KFP and the original WWOHP got larger for development.

Are you referencing the fairly detailed site map that is still online at TPU (not the re-creation)? That seems to be the end result.

So Waterworld and the "Hulk" after all. I wonder if the small third transformers attraction is "Stormforce". :bored:

The 5th China Theme Park and Resort Summit seem to hit that Universal Studios Beijing and all the areas around it are the most important projects for the Chinese government in terms of impact. It also revealed through a country wide survey of both the General Public and Chinese Industry Insiders, Universal is the park most Chinese want to visit followed by Shanghai Disneyland then the domestic parks.

The survey also showed downfalls of park planning. After the theme park entered the fast lane of development, many people in the industry also admitted that the theme park with its superficial scenery also showed some shortcomings, such as weak exploration and integration of traditional culture, homogenization development and management. The General public also had these concerns.

With this information, some analysts have stated it is possible Universal's Beijing Second Park may be fast tracked as its integrates the culture being 100% Chinese based compared to the other Universal Park.

I always like to look back on other comparable projects to get a grasp on timelines.

5 years ago (+ 3 days) Shanghai finished up foundation work (for the castle at least) and lifted its first piece of structural steel.

Contrast to the recent aerials. Universal does not seem to have the same marketing machine as Disney, so we might not get blog posts and videos on the date of the first piece of steel, but I'd hazard we are fairly close. Shanghai was of course plagued with build problems and pushed aggressively onwards to its June 2016 opening. I see no reason that we are not running a very similar timeframe here, with Beijing perhaps being ready for June 2021 (or maybe towards the Fall if they don't shoot themselves in the foot by committing to an opening date).

What is also worth noting: 5 years ago we had a similar flurry of Shanghai Disney leaks. I'm sure people remember the similar site layout plans as well as WDW1974's attraction lineup leak. Probably because plans were passing fast and hard amongst many contractors at this stage of the game.

The point is those leaks were accurate to the final product. As one would expect at this stage of the game. While minor variations (a Fantasyland theatre eventually housed a Frozen show) occurred, there are no drastic alterations. We likely are looking at the final product in leaks, of course entertainment is still very malleable; Waterworld can still overlay itself, but the facilities layout will be identical. The two front of the park theatre shows are clearly still working through development.

Universal has gotten very sketchy about an opening year, but I firmly believe mid-late 2021 seems like the solid bet these days. 2020 Asian products, whether they be Tokyo's expansion or Osaka's expansion are both fairly advanced in the structural components with largely completed show buildings.

The biggest news that came out this week is Dreamworks and China.

On 15 October, Dreamworks Animation held their first brand promotion in over the past two years in China. From that promotion and interviews Dreamworks released their slate.

According to China Business News Network, It was also revealed Dreamworks Animation will operate solely under the China Branch of Universal Pictures International and joint managed by Universal Studios Brand Development Group in Shanghai and Universal Pictures Film, Digital Games , and TV Distribution in Beijing. (of note, I thought possible mistranslation but multiple translations and versions of statements come out like this)

Why does this matter? If Dreamworks is essentially headquartered and operated with China in mind, I would assume that expansion plot next to minions would become a Dreamworks based area and most expansions will be based off Dreamworks characters.

I always like to look back on other comparable projects to get a grasp on timelines.

5 years ago (+ 3 days) Shanghai finished up foundation work (for the castle at least) and lifted its first piece of structural steel.

Contrast to the recent aerials. Universal does not seem to have the same marketing machine as Disney, so we might not get blog posts and videos on the date of the first piece of steel, but I'd hazard we are fairly close. Shanghai was of course plagued with build problems and pushed aggressively onwards to its June 2016 opening. I see no reason that we are not running a very similar timeframe here, with Beijing perhaps being ready for June 2021 (or maybe towards the Fall if they don't shoot themselves in the foot by committing to an opening date).

What is also worth noting: 5 years ago we had a similar flurry of Shanghai Disney leaks. I'm sure people remember the similar site layout plans as well as WDW1974's attraction lineup leak. Probably because plans were passing fast and hard amongst many contractors at this stage of the game.

The point is those leaks were accurate to the final product. As one would expect at this stage of the game. While minor variations (a Fantasyland theatre eventually housed a Frozen show) occurred, there are no drastic alterations. We likely are looking at the final product in leaks, of course entertainment is still very malleable; Waterworld can still overlay itself, but the facilities layout will be identical. The two front of the park theatre shows are clearly still working through development.

Universal has gotten very sketchy about an opening year, but I firmly believe mid-late 2021 seems like the solid bet these days. 2020 Asian products, whether they be Tokyo's expansion or Osaka's expansion are both fairly advanced in the structural components with largely completed show buildings.

I wonder if this would be different for UOR’s new park. Because it’s in the US are they able to keep a better lid on info even though some here believe it could come in 2022 just a year after you believe Beijing to open?

I wonder if this would be different for UOR’s new park. Because it’s in the US are they able to keep a better lid on info even though some here believe it could come in 2022 just a year after you believe Beijing to open?

Hard to say if anything becomes as public. but usually the bigger, the more people and the more leaks.

Things like Pandora had site plans widely circulated around the same time. Even technically Nintendo, which reached a similar bid staging we saw some plans for. Even this Potter coaster people here clearly are looking at plans, even if the whole public has not seen them.

Although I think we are still a year out from anything being as finalized, but once the site bids go out and plans are in a lot of hands at the very least a full run down of what the 3rd park will entail will be circulated. I'd guess we'll known by this time next year specifics and not just pure speculation.