Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Japan/Osaka Report - Sept. 7th-8th

Still here, and typing it as we speak. :thumbs: My practice schedule has been crazy the past couple of weeks preparing for a game. I've been working on it. I'll have it up tonight. :smiley:

When you walk into the park, the first section of Hollywood Blvd. is under an overhang, and the area is pretty much only shops that are under there. Very smart, because when it rains, you can bet those shops are filled to the brim. Beyond that, it looks pretty familiar, right? See the Brown Derby? It used to have the same idea as the Western version as far as it's theming, what it sells, etc. But now you'll find a shop called Moppy's Lucky Shop with merchandise for the Sesame Street character "born in the park." Also, note the lack of crowds. It was about 12-1 in the afternoon on a Thursday.

8312867047_032c61dd8c_b.jpg

8333746028_a8a4fb7329_b.jpg

The Universal Studios Store. Merchandise varied occasionally from store to store, but generally it was the same. You can see the hooded towels in the front of the store, and outside. They were in every single store.

8312814893_0226bde690_b.jpg

Here's looking out the other way towards New York.

8312812135_433cb0912e_b.jpg

After looking around, I headed to the right towards Moppy's, Hollywood Dream, etc. Here's a Hello Kitty snack stand that was closed most of the time I was there, I believe. Still nice, though.

8332681467_3cf95d66c5_b.jpg

Mel's on the left, central park in the far back, Hollywood Dream on the right. I'm not sure if I missed what the fixture was for, because the parade wasn't effect heavy apart from floats, or if they were preparing for a nighttime show later in the year.

8332666821_5a41a58632_b.jpg

A short stage show that happened every so often called RnB Jukebox. They were American Songs, and 3 of the 4 seemed to actually be westerners. It was the only time I saw more than one at a time, too. :lol: In the background is the 11th anniversary painting on the soundstage (as far as where you'd see it in Orlando, it's where SS44 used to be, just to give you a sense of where we are). Naturally, Hello Kitty, Snoopy, and Elmo are featured, as well as the Pink Panther who didn't have an attraction, yet was ever present in merchandise. I also chuckled that they're in Mt. Rushmore formation, haha.

8333719484_39e5f0b22b_b.jpg

I went around Mel's and back down towards the rest of Hollywood and towards New York. This is the other side of Mel's with extra seating (they can't get enough of the "American" theming, so it was a heavily populated restaurant at all times).

8333716528_86e3351fee_b.jpg

Instead of the Mummy Ride, right about where you'd expect Despicable Me to go, is the Mummy Museum. It's a walk through attraction, but it was closed as it was the location for one of the HHN houses in a couple of weeks. In the distance, you can see some of the onsite hotels.

8332654777_fb831e9169_b.jpg

This is behind SS22, where ET used to be, is a ride strictly in Japan called Space Fantasy. Oh my goodness, this immediately became one of my favorite rides EVER. I was apprehensive to ride it because of the lack of information I could find on specifically what type of ride it was. I guess the best way I can describe it would be that it was like Space Mountain and the Mummy on steroids (in terms of theming AND intensity). Oh, and the cars spin. Although I didn’t understand the story completely (language barrier!), the queue was pretty well themed with a couple of very Japanese animated characters (a galactic princess and her little “Starburst” friends). Very HQ and adorable. The first part of the queue sends your group through a few photobooths with greenscreens in the back if you guys would like to take a themed picture before the ride (available for purchase afterwards), then you go through a great queue similar to Space Mountain's, and finally board. The ride is intense, but still great for a family. I could try and describe it here, but I'm struggling to find the words! It was one of the best themed attractions I've ever been on. It's very Japanese, but very fun. 10/10. Side note: under the sign it says Docomo. That's a Japanese phone company. They have infrared scanners for your phones in the queue (unless you have an iPhone - which I did!) So I'm not quite sure what they did!

And you needed a locker for anything but your cell phone, and were really simple. You put a Y100 coin in before the ride, and get it back afterwards. Always love that system.

8333711950_459acf9393_b.jpg

Planetary fountain before you queue. :smiley:

8333703502_714693567b_b.jpg

The Studio Stars restaurant whose main feature is rice. ;)

8333815138_b8e8421178_b.jpg

Terminator 2: 3-D in New York. I didn't really expect it to be much different from the states except for that it's completely in Japanese so I did not watch it. I took a picture and moved on. Loved the exterior of it though!!

8332743017_b11f87b1e6_b.jpg

The massive, amazing stage for the Dreams are Universal Show. It didn't play while I was there, but you can bet I heard the main song associated with it everywhere - in the hotels, in the park, in Citywalk. I've got it memorized, in Japanese. I did find it on youtube though, and I really wish I could have seen it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeDpZpweaPM

8333685406_1e45b21b02_b.jpg

The street of New York!

8332623279_6e239db53b_b.jpg

The Spiderman Ride, where the mummy ride should be. :lol: This was nearly the same, but still completely in Japanese, and it actually has a ride photo. It was fantastic and fun. I loved it! Still the old film though, not upgraded yet. ;)

8332620737_fe9c855df0_b.jpg

Apparently I wasn't too picture heavy this day, so there's lots missing between Jurassic Park and Spiderman, but I'll fill in the pieces as I find them!

This was one of the short One Piece shows. The character (who's a musician in the show) sang with his sidekick pirate pal, songs from the show. It was pretty cool, but I didn't get to watch the whole thing until later! This was right at the entrance to Jurassic Park.

8332613401_fd8f2272db_b.jpg

Between New York and Jurassic Park is San Fransisco. This is the view across the lake towards Jurassic Park. The big coat you see behind the Discovery Center is the memorial site for two of the beloved characters in One Piece, always with a huge line for a photo op. They always had photo opportunities everywhere, because it's definitely an easy way to make money - especially in Japan. The Japanese LOVE pictures.

8333671180_a09d99c66c_b.jpg

8332608533_329178b604_b.jpg

This is in San Fransisco. It looked like Richter's, but more bubbly/happy, and it's focus was on curry. (This is probably my favorite photo I took while there for some reason)

8332606159_705beaa2e8_b.jpg

Just the San Fran street.

8332604231_219bf02341_b.jpg

8333661284_c80f92e2d9_b.jpg

Lombardo's had a One Piece overhaul that was a really expensive restaurant that you needed advanced reservations for, that had exclusive merchandise, meet and greets with characters, etc. inside. They always sold out the second the park opened though, so I didn't get a shot to go inside. Bummer! (My wallet is thanking me anyways)

8332575595_aa9dc0a9ca_b.jpg

8333631308_2dc295040b_b.jpg

8333624922_d08ef3e1cb_b.jpg

Jurassic Park on one side, San Fransisco on the other!

8333622576_7734978b36_b.jpg

8333619786_cded450daf_b.jpg

8333800144_54087c18f4_b.jpg

To be continued...

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Love this review.

Me too! Can't say I've ever read a good review of the Japan park (as in a detailed one like this.) I've never really seen many pictures either!

I love how she adds little details about stuff most of us here in the U.S. wouldn't recognize. Can't wait for more and btw the pictures are very good quality!

As I mentioned before, this park looks VERY clean, almost new. I'm surprised to see the difference in Jurassic Park (Orlando vs. Japan.)

So, now I'm in Jurassic Park, naturally. I really liked the Streetmosphere in Japan's version. There's still just the one ride, but I felt like there was more to look at. Here's a wrecked jeep being eating by several different dinosaurs. :lol:

8332537007_b7fed1e26e_b.jpg

8333588498_cd2d3288b1_b.jpg

8333585396_762b5b9f0c_b.jpg

8332519395_efe9158139_b.jpg

One not being eaten as well!

8333576246_6959818bab_b.jpg

There was a cute Coke sponsored misting area. I thought it looked neat, and the trademark Japanese vending machines legitimately everywhere you turn (in and out of the parks... you never have to search one out!).

8332509975_49cb156ac4_b.jpg

8332513521_02ba1d0259_b.jpg

Next to the misters is the stage for the show I mentioned earlier. It wasn't going on, but I got a shot of the stage!

8332506449_dbe7c17dd7_b.jpg

This is the One Piece character memorial I mentioned that's behind the Discovery Center. (Really well done, even though it was only for the summer) It looks just like it did in the anime/manga.

8332503891_1e5da1e339_b.jpg

8333561756_bc3e063367_b.jpg

8333558778_7fbba9590e_b.jpg

I finally decided to get something to eat even though my appetite was small, and walking into the Discovery Center I saw that they had some of the special One Piece foods. What I did NOT expect, however, was either the food, or the prices. Theme park prices are one thing. Theme park prices in Japan, with a bad yen rate, are outrageous. The food wasn't your conventional Quick Service food (no chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, etc.), though it was still counter served. It's focus was on noodles. It was well themed (I should have snapped a picture... darn it) but we're talking Y1700, or around $20 for one "meal". And Japanese portions are considerably smaller than American's. Another thing is that the food here is actually healthy and good for you, whether it's in a fast food restaurant, a theme park, etc. Even their potato chips are healthy (with yummy bizzare flavors). Good stuff! But I wasn't prepared to pay those prices just yet, and wasn't even that hungry, so I got a small One Piece desert shaped like the main character's signature hat.

For a couple of picture examples of the food:

http://www.usj.co.jp/e/restaurant/discovery.html

Funny story! I went up to the register to order it, and the sweet young woman was taken aback at the fact that I was a westerner. She started asking me where I was from, how old I was, etc. and was shocked about all of it and was very nice and friendly. The workers here aren't disgruntled like in the states. Everybody is nice, and seems to enjoy working where they are. This rings true everywhere. Anyways, apparently the fact that I was ordering a One Piece desert wasn't indication enough that this American knew what it was, but I pulled out my One Piece wallet and she gasped and started asking me if I liked One Piece in excited, broken English. She started shaking my hand a ton and asking me whether my favorite character was one rival or another (Zoro or Sanji) and when I answered (Sanji) she started squealing in delight and was just very amazed and happy about a fellow fan, even a foreign one. But it gets better! I go to the counter to get my food, and the woman giving me my food asks me the same standard questions, like where I'm from, how old I am, and the cashier runs from her post to the counter and starts doing the Japanese version of shouting (more like a mildly raised voice in America) at her friend that I liked Sanji and was bombarded again by the excitement and "sugoi" (amazing). It was great to see such enthusiastic people who weren't used to seeing foreigners around and I really love how amazingly friendly Japanese people are. All of this back and forth was with their broken English, and my limited Japanese. But I had a great time with it. I quickly found a table covered outside and began to munch away, still smiling. :smiley:

The yellow was a really, really, REALLY light textured icing I suppose would be the best word to describe it. It was light and fluffy, and not really super sugary. The bottom was a light cookie/cracker, again, not overly sweet, and the center had a raspberry filling and a far less sugary version of marshmallow around it. The little white piece on the outside (a minor detail later in the anime... they really do pay attention to detail), is just a small piece of white chocolate. It was good! Expensive, though small, but good!

8332494583_68202ba283_b.jpg

8333556068_699c9a89ec_b.jpg

8333551036_ba39c0047c_b.jpg

I was sitting next to this display in the bushes of Dinosaur eggs, and fake egg shaped balloons. The buttons triggered some sound effects, music, and a Japanese lady talking I suppose about the dinosaur eggs. It was pretty neat, despite not knowing what she was saying. :)

8333548426_76a0b29985_b.jpg

Rode JPRA (I'll review when I get to a picture of it ;) ), and then headed out into Amity (I will lose it when I get back to Orlando and not get to ride it :'(). This was filled with a One Piece overlay, as if it had been taken over by the pirates main enemy, the World Gov't, or the Marines for short, hence the banners.

8332486495_83d5891e83_b.jpg

One of the stands, with special themed Zoro's Apple Churros and "Luffy's Meat Dogs" (hot dogs) for OP. The Jolly Rogers on the "Fresh Fruits" part of the sign are the two mentioned characters.

8333542266_214257576c_b.jpg

The gates on the Amity side.

8333538984_1fbbd1ce3e_b.jpg

More fun One Piece overlay. :)

8333536078_a5764e058b_b.jpg

The name of the main character in the memorial that's behind the Discovery Center. (He was a pretty important enemy of the marines.)

8332472485_8047957529_b.jpg

One Piece merchandise (fans, sprayers, headbands and hats (a staple in Japanese theme parks), posters etc.).

8333517916_3bf88fa1b8_b.jpg

8333515104_c96bdfd05d_b.jpg

A display with examples of the food outside the restaurant. On the top shelf is One Piece food, with a coconut desert similar to the straw hat one I ate, and a burger entree with an Admiral backing like the Jaws backing on the next shelf. And on the bottom shelf is self explanatory. But in the back, I will say that that is a shark in blue jello dessert. :lol:

8332452919_77a64f01b2_b.jpg

More overlay in the restaurant.

8333510170_a30e4cf55f_b.jpg

Played a carnival game where you throw a ball and knock all three blocks off. Unfortunately I paid for 7 tries, and won on my second, third, and sixth try, but only was permitted one prize per play. :lol: I was stoked. I won one One Piece character dressed as my favorite character. I could have won all three, darn it. And ignore my awful face and expression, I was stoked to be at Universal and to have won a prize. The other thing in my hand is a Universal Studios One Piece poster, just by the way.

8333507274_02d6719ec4_b.jpg

8415859203_af2ac2672a_o.jpg

I work with a few Japanese and I love there culture, they are just as you describe. Great report, I am enjoying reading it

I for one love the detailed food report! :lol: I also have worked with some Japanese and love there attitudes, wok ethic, and overall take on life. Keeps it coming please!

Yay, was so excited to see another update! Great job yet again! I can't wait to someday get down to Japan, you are really making me anxious and I'm going to have to wait over 4 years! That dessert looked really good.