Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 135 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to throw this out there on Pokemon. Seems World of Adventure has IP rights usage as well

Attractions Management - Exclusive: Worlds of Adventure CEO reveals five year plan, including overseas expansion...

What thats says is more than likely Universal already has Pokemon rights and just not mentioning it yet.

however extremely ironic Dubai is getting anime based attractions with the partnership with TV Tokyo and Toei Animation despite people here saying its niche only work in Japan.

There are so many more tangibles outside of "good" in terms of quality of film. It might even be the least likely qualifier. It's certainly a better film than despicable me- but which is more marketable? Likewise, Cars is arguably the weakest of the Pixar films yet it's a beast in terms of merchandise. Superior films like Up, Wall-E, Rat, etc can't even compare.

A good theme park land is also separate. Cars, again, is a great land.

So in summary: marketability, popularity and a thematically sound land will outweigh what was a good movie any day of the week. It doesn't need to be a good movie to be a successful land, although it doesn't hurt.
You are right but the Universal and Disney of today have 1 magic word and that is "synergy". It's why comcast did their best to secure the rights for the Potter movies for tv because pulling people to the parks with a commercial during the showing is a sure bet.
Cars has the toy sales (just like Toy Story) and that is why they are in the parks and not Wall E or any other amazing movie that doesn't make money anymore. It needs to hit all the cylinders to maximize profit.

Reactions: fryoj
You are right but the Universal and Disney of today have 1 magic word and that is "synergy". It's why comcast did their best to secure the rights for the Potter movies for tv because pulling people to the parks with a commercial during the showing is a sure bet.
Cars has the toy sales (just like Toy Story) and that is why they are in the parks and not Wall E or any other amazing movie that doesn't make money anymore. It needs to hit all the cylinders to maximize profit.
That's also why I'd expect Trolls to have some kind of theme park presence if Trolls 2 performs well (Dreamworks owns the toy license rights, and I assume the toys sell well on a movie release like Cars toys).

Reactions: Disneyhead
I went the wrong way on I-drive and ended up at that intersection of sand lake and uni Blvd. I remember saying "look at all those construction trucks". There were a bunch of small construction trucks. Signs up. And all the like. That has to be related no?

Upcoming it looks like Universal is planning to keep Oriental Dreamworks with 5 upcoming releases that are very internationally friendly which may come to the park since its now a longer time away.

Upcoming it looks like Universal is planning to keep Oriental Dreamworks with 5 upcoming releases that are very internationally friendly which may come to the park since its now a longer time away.
It's still a question though as to whether Universal will keep Oriental Dreamworks until we see further releases added to the international distribution slate; at this point Universal has only agreed to distribute Everest in late 2019 (correct me if I'm wrong on that), so Oriental Dreamworks would need a different partner to release those movies internationally.

It's a difficult question for Universal because the original plan under Dreamworks (pre-Universal) for Oriental Dreamworks was for it to significantly increase its production slate with those Chinese productions. But it's not clear yet that Universal wants to distribute a larger number than its 2 Dreamworks releases a year (combined with another 1.5-2 animated releases per year from Illumination after late 2018). That already gives Universal 3-4 animated releases every year after late 2018 before any extra Oriental Dreamworks features.

At this point, Universal has to figure out whether there's even a place for Oriental Dreamworks in its "franchise-driven" strategy. Everest seems like a one-off, and the rest of the 5 new releases may not fit Universal's future strategy (built around Shrek reboot, possible additional sequels of KFP after Universal Beijing is completed, Trolls, HTTYD, Croods, Boss Baby, etc. depending on how they perform).

It's still a question though as to whether Universal will keep Oriental Dreamworks until we see further releases added to the international distribution slate; at this point Universal has only agreed to distribute Everest in late 2019 (correct me if I'm wrong on that), so Oriental Dreamworks would need a different partner to release those movies internationally.

It's a difficult question for Universal because the original plan under Dreamworks (pre-Universal) for Oriental Dreamworks was for it to significantly increase its production slate with those Chinese productions. But it's not clear yet that Universal wants to distribute a larger number than its 2 Dreamworks releases a year (combined with another 1.5-2 animated releases per year from Illumination after late 2018). That already gives Universal 3-4 animated releases every year after late 2018 before any extra Oriental Dreamworks features.

At this point, Universal has to figure out whether there's even a place for Oriental Dreamworks in its "franchise-driven" strategy. Everest seems like a one-off, and the rest of the 5 new releases may not fit Universal's future strategy (built around Shrek reboot, possible additional sequels of KFP after Universal Beijing is completed, Trolls, HTTYD, Croods, Boss Baby, etc. depending on how they perform).

Remember how it was stated Universal Beijing would be only distinctively Chinese. The film line up is distinctly Chinese yet fairy tale based and also things they would put in the theme park (one film based on Chinese zodiac, one on tbe Moon Goddess, and one on the monkey king).

Two...Illuminations on its on is getting huge infrastructure updates for 2020 to increase their pipeline production to hit their two films a year and potentially increase.

With Universal's cloning its more likely Chinese stuff will come stateside.

Remember how it was stated Universal Beijing would be only distinctively Chinese. The film line up is distinctly Chinese yet fairy tale based and also things they would put in the theme park (one film based on Chinese zodiac, one on tbe Moon Goddess, and one on the monkey king).

Two...Illuminations on its on is getting huge infrastructure updates for 2020 to increase their pipeline production to hit their two films a year and potentially increase.

With Universal's cloning its more likely Chinese stuff will come stateside.
Yeah, there's a chance that they keep Oriental Dreamworks to try to tie that into its 30-35% of Universal Beijing that will be Chinese-derived content. It's really a question of how much the top brass at Comcast wants to be working on local Chinese content for that aspect. It's definitely possible given the growth of China's box office; it's going to be a big enough market eventually, so Comcast executives may end up deciding that owning a share of local Chinese content makes sense (sort of like how they decided to keep the theme parks originally).

There's some potential Chinese franchises there that could be developed along the lines of Monkey King. Maybe Illumikitty could be successful internationally.

I think we'll know more in the next 6-12 months; if Universal announces a 2nd international release or there's no sale by then, Oriental Dreamworks may be figuring into their long-term strategy.

Reactions: Andysol
There's a whole hell of a lot that needs to go on there. Utility work, infrastructure, proper drainage. We still have a long way to go.

In a project like this, physically building the park probably works out at as the last 20% of things to be ticked off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.