Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 157 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal Studios is obviously geared themed to movies, but Islands was not themed to "Adventure" but to literature. Whether it be comic books, the sunday morning newspaper cartoons, the Jurassic Park novels, great stories from fiction fantasy (King Arthur, Sindbad, Atlantis), and the Dr. Seuss books. So, I am curious what third mode of media would be a good fit for a third gate? I think instead of talking about IP's, it might be a good idea to think about which of those third themes could be in play.
Universal always had a "showcase of media" type feel to me....Islands always felt very "exotic" and more "fleshed out" (special paths to explore, more than just one ride based on one property, etc)...It seems they are blurring the lines a little bit more...I honestly think the layout of the new park will be the biggest thing to set it apart...

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
There may be a crossover location that is visited in Potter, but expanded upon in the upcoming FB movies. ;)

The Godric's Hollow as a land idea is interesting. As it existed in the Potter movies, it wouldn't be a very compelling land and definitely nothing to build a ride on. So that means they'd have to expand on it in FB like you suggest. They'd almost have to intentionally add something in the movies to make a ride out of. Even if that means a heavy does of Newt's case. But then they have to translate that back into a land for the parks. Do they also include The one or two locations from the Potter movies? Do we really want to see the remains of the Potter house? Or do they ignore them completely? The problem they run in to is that, if they are going to make it the final Dumbledore/Grindewald fight location, it takes it out of the timeframe for the parks as I think the new park will be open before movie 5 is out.

Just brain storming. I know they are going to build more Potter, so what's it going to be? Maybe Durmstrang in one park and Beauxbaton in the other?

Should now be the appropreate time to mention that Fantastic Beasts 2, has been said to be prodominently set in Paris (which of that, Beauxbaton is set in Pyrenees, a mountain range on the border of France and Brazil)?

Reactions: Disneyhead
Should now be the appropreate time to mention that Fantastic Beasts 2, has been said to be prodominently set in Paris (which of that, Beauxbaton is set in Pyrenees, a mountain range on the border of France and Brazil)?
Paris would be a great Urban setting to create ala London before entering Diagon. It's also a famous/historic city not currently represented at Universal.

Paris would be a great Urban setting to create ala London before entering Diagon. It's also a famous/historic city not currently represented at Universal.

Not to mention, it could easily act as a original land, with Fantastic Beasts only acting as a highlight for one part of it. That way, they can then bring in
perhaps some form of Aladdin/Frozen show based off of Phantom or Les Miserables into that area, to add a high capacity show that can get people into the parks due to it's notoriety.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Not to mention, it could easily act as a original land, with Fantastic Beasts only acting as a highlight for one part of it. That way, they can then bring in
perhaps some form of Aladdin/Frozen show based off of Phantom or Les Miserables into that area, to add a high capacity show that can get people into the parks due to it's notoriety.
Yeah, if they did it like NYC in Studios and Fantastic Beasts was just self-contained within a sub-section, then it would open up other opportunities.

Yeah, if they did it like NYC in Studios and Fantastic Beasts was just self-contained within a sub-section, then it would open up other opportunities.

Yup, and considering that while Fantastic Beasts is still Potter; it's far away from the elements that we have seen from Diagon and Hogsmeade that it could be very justifiable..

Now, as far as Durmstrang is considered, I think @Disneyhead may be pointing more to the film's, as Grindlewald hails from Durmstrang.

Ready Player One would make for a very good VR ride.

To be honest, I doubt we will see RP1, due to that in a way, it's the Rodger Rabbit of our era in the terms of brand-name characters popping in and out althroughout.

And while I love Rodger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin at DL (Don't judge), Ready Player One..doesn't scream theme park material to me.

If anything, it screams something more that could be something really unique with the guys over at VOID (The creators of the seeming hit of Secrets of the Empire).

I know my taste is rather quirky and may seem niche but to be honest, I want to see areas and locations not usually seen in US theme parks. A lot of these big film properties from Sci- fi, fantasy, etc don't add much difference from each other visually (even story wise) and I would rather see something overly breath taking that I didn't realize how much it was needed until it happens. Kinda like Mystic Manor which is 100% original but framed extremely well to create a great story and made me realize I wanted that.

Just look at Universal right now. I love England but do we need any more England based properties based in the parks. There is a great big world out there full of IP locations. Where are the old school middle eastern villages, eastern Asian Kingdoms, Bollywood of India? I mean thank god we get some Africa with Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom but still can't these locations be represented inside of strictly the same old things over and over. Heck I don't think any of the big name theme parks outside of Alton Towers has even touched a post apocalyptic land. All in all I want innovation, I want creativity, I want new. Which maybe wish I push for obscure non mainstream IPs way more because they would hit those ideas and lands that would be great.

If it has to be IP based, I still think the biggest win would be if Universal gets Studio Ghibli, Disney imagineers is still trying to get theme park rights personally meeting and begging Miyazaki for the past 10 years with no avail. If not that Cartoon Saloon properties based on Irish Folk tales would be great.

A dark ride based on Spirit Away using the town as the queues, full of AAs and the ET name technology where Yubaba steals your name via projection mapping would be something people didn't know they wanted until they saw it. Heck Disney can be like we have floating mountains and Universal can pull out Laputa: Castle in the Sky and be like we got floating cities.

I also wouldn't mind a dark ride based on the Cartoon Network series Over the Garden Wall.

Reactions: Magic-Man and |Q|
Status
Not open for further replies.