Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know y'all, as much as I'd love it I hate to say I feel like we're never gonna get large scale attractions based on older classic attractions nor the classic monsters, it just doesn't feel like something modern Universal would do, but I'd love to be completely wrong:shrug:

You legitimately got a new King Kong ride 18 months ago. :lol:

c'mon, you know that doesn't count, that's based on the new IP, not the classic attraction (like most people are asking for)
:saywhat:

No, I don't know how that doesn't count. You're never, ever going to get a JAWS ride remade or something. Kong is the "new" version of Kongfrontation. I'm not saying you'd definitely get something similar for Jaws or BTTF, but to say they won't reboot old rides is clearly false as we have a blatant example of it that opened recently.

:saywhat:

No, I don't know how that doesn't count. You're never, ever going to get a JAWS ride remade or something. Kong is the "new" version of Kongfrontation. I'm not saying you'd definitely get something similar for Jaws or BTTF, but to say they won't reboot old rides is clearly false as we have a blatant example of it that opened recently.

Okay, it seems like I didn't make my point clear in the original post

There are a lot of people on the forums who are clamoring for Universal to make a "The Great Movie Ride" style attraction (or even a land) featuring sections from classic attractions, the universal monsters, etc. As a bit of a theme park history nerd myself, this sounds amazing and I would love to see it come to realization.

However, I don't see Universal ever bringing an attraction or area like that to the parks, 4th gate or not. Yes, it is the return of a classic story to the parks but it is completely different from Kongfrontation. It is not a reboot of Kongfrontation. Kong was brought back to the parks because the IP is relevant again, if new movies weren't still being made, that attraction would not exist. I'm not saying the classic franchises like BttF, JAWS, and whatever Universal decides to reboot won't come to the parks, only saying they won't come to the parks just to be reboots of old attractions.

What exactly do you mean by the New Kong?

The attraction pulls more heavily from Jackson's interpretation (excluding the ape himself) than the Kong: Skull Island film.

The only reason it's based on the Jackson film was because the 360 tunnel in Hollywood already was and they were reusing it.

I don't think the recent King Kong movie had any bearing at all on the popularity of the new Kong ride. They could have built this same attraction at any time, including one where the movie wasn't coming out. I mean, I don't think there was anyone who said "Oh I love this new movie, let me go to Florida to ride this attraction." I think Kong was just already such a known name and such a classic that it would have worked out anyways. I think the same could be true of any sort of Back to the Future attraction, or Jaws, or the Universal classic monsters, etc. etc.

Hate to bring up more video game franchises, but is there any chance that we'll see Sonic or Crash Bandicoot?

I think we talked about this before, but I would honestly think they will not use any other videogame IP that is not Nintendo.

Nintendo is a worldwide brand, with franchises that are far more reliable than Crash Bandicoot and Sonic The Hedgehog. Not to mention, both of them don't really have anything you can easily pull into a theme park environment for an attraction.

I think we talked about this before, but I would honestly think they will not use any other videogame IP that is not Nintendo.

Nintendo is a worldwide brand, with franchises that are far more reliable than Crash Bandicoot and Sonic The Hedgehog. Not to mention, both of them don't really have anything you can easily pull into a theme park environment for an attraction.

Isn't Sonic licensed by Nintendo?

I don't think the recent King Kong movie had any bearing at all on the popularity of the new Kong ride. They could have built this same attraction at any time, including one where the movie wasn't coming out. I mean, I don't think there was anyone who said "Oh I love this new movie, let me go to Florida to ride this attraction." I think Kong was just already such a known name and such a classic that it would have worked out anyways. I think the same could be true of any sort of Back to the Future attraction, or Jaws, or the Universal classic monsters, etc. etc.
let’s just agree to disagree ;)

You have to keep in mind too, that Skull Island: Reign of Kong and Kong: Skull Island, were one year apart of eachother, with Reign of Kong being the first.

There is no way you can tell me that Kong: Skull Island had any affect on the reception of Reign of Kong.

That said, I remember in the past, we talked about how Kong: Skull Island may of had some possible connection, but was cut off due to the film going to Warner Bros Pictures and not being a Universal film before core production even began.

I love to see the old ride movies represented in a nighttime parade. Back to the future, monsters, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Psycho, Kong, Terminator 2.
The old Horror Nights parade used to have an awesome classic Universal monsters float and a Jaws float. I miss the parade, but I understand why they moved away from it with crowd levels what they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.