Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to bring up more video game franchises, but is there any chance that we'll see Sonic or Crash Bandicoot?

USJ uses video games currently not on Nintendo Systems but if i need to highlight something but they tend to be RPG based.

You more likely to see something like Final Fantasy, Bioshock, Fallout before you see Sonic or Crash. (we will never ever ever ever get a call of duty attraction)

( we were so close to a bioshock movie too but the costs got up to 200 million just for production excluding marketing and casting in addition to an r-rating and Universal pulled the plug)

Last edited:
USJ uses video games currently not on Nintendo Systems but if i need to highlight something but they tend to be RPG based.

You more likely to see something like Final Fantasy, Bioshock, Fallout before you see Sonic or Crash. (we will never ever ever ever get a call of duty attraction)

( we were so close to a bioshock movie too but the costs got up to 200 million just for production excluding marketing and casting in addition to an r-rating and Universal pulled the plug)

You make a good point about Final Fantasy and Fallout. Hopefully we see those at the parks in some form.

I would honestly think that you will not see any video game IP get a permanent spot for a theme park attraction, at the very least, any that aren't Nintendo.

I am stressing this, because it needs to be stressed, why use Square Enix or Take Two IP's when you have an full contract with Nintendo, that will likely last many years with tons of IP's that you can use.

For the fourth gate, all I'm hoping is this

- Expanded version of the USF SNW land
- Kung Fu Panda and/or Dragons
- An Original concept for the park
- Variety of what there is in types of attractions

I would honestly think that you will not see any video game IP get a permanent spot for a theme park attraction, at the very least, any that aren't Nintendo.

I am stressing this, because it needs to be stressed, why use Square Enix or Take Two IP's when you have an full contract with Nintendo, that will likely last many years with tons of IP's that you can use.

For the fourth gate, all I'm hoping is this

- Expanded version of the USF SNW land
- Kung Fu Panda and/or Dragons
- An Original concept for the park
- Variety of what there is in types of attractions

The same reason Nintendo decided to let outside studios develop games for Switch? Its more beneficial and adds way more diversity. Yea you may have Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda but at the same time, you are totally ignoring the value of Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, and other big name games that have proven so far to actually bring people in theme parks from around the world (that was Universal's own press statement and again also the same fact Universal continues to bring non Nintendo brands to USJ).

Its the same reason Universal has retained the films rights to the God of War games as well as Gears of War.

Last edited:
The same reason Nintendo decided to let outside studios develop games for Switch? Its more beneficial and adds way more diversity. Yea you may have Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda but at the same time, you are totally ignoring the value of Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, and other big name games that have proven so far to actually bring people in theme parks from around the world (that was Universal's own press statement and again also the same fact Universal continues to bring non Nintendo brands to USJ).

Its the same reason Universal has retained the films rights to the God of War games as well as Gears of War.

But here is the thing, you are discussing of whether or not they could do other video game properties, when you should be asking if they should.

You are equating the signs of a completely different audience from a completely different region, not in the western audience, and more eastern, as mentioned with Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter. Can they be large video game properties? Yes, they are, but it doesn't always equate to having a large turnabout domestically for a theme park experience.

It's a niche market, with only a few outliers being able to stand out on its own, and for Universal, Nintendo has seemed the most cooperative and working in a sturdy relationship, with the Illumination deal and the theme park rights. It speaks more volumes to what it implies, and that both NBCUniversal/Comcast and Nintendo want to have the same goals reached in the best way possible.

Mario, is going to pull people in far more than two rated M titles, a slowly growing Capcom brand, and a somewhat dodgy Square Enix property, and it would be nonsensical to think that those other IP's can beat Nintendo in public awareness.

But here is the thing, you are discussing of whether or not they could do other video game properties, when you should be asking if they should.

You are equating the signs of a completely different audience from a completely different region, not in the western audience, and more eastern, as mentioned with Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter. Can they be large video game properties? Yes, they are, but it doesn't always equate to having a large turnabout domestically for a theme park experience.

It's a niche market, with only a few outliers being able to stand out on its own, and for Universal, Nintendo has seemed the most cooperative and working in a sturdy relationship, with the Illumination deal and the theme park rights. It speaks more volumes to what it implies, and that both NBCUniversal/Comcast and Nintendo want to have the same goals reached in the best way possible.

Mario, is going to pull people in far more than two rated M titles, a slowly growing Capcom brand, and a somewhat dodgy Square Enix property, and it would be nonsensical to think that those other IP's can beat Nintendo in public awareness.

I don't he is trying to convey that, he's just saying that they could get a theme park presence as well. I'd argue that Monster Hunter, while not on the same tier as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Splatoon, is bigger than Nintendo's second tier IP's (Metroid, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc).

I don't he is trying to convey that, he's just saying that they could get a theme park presence as well. I'd argue that Monster Hunter, while not on the same tier as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Splatoon, is bigger than Nintendo's second tier IP's (Metroid, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc).
But not big enough for a theme park.

Trolls hasn't even had a proper attraction at all, only a small M&G that I would hardly call important.

As far as Men in Black and The Tonight Show, those are in two completely different fields, each individually that should not be coupled together.

For Trolls, I meant that a lot of people seem to want it in Universal South. As for the others, I was just trying to make examples.

One is a NBC owned product, MIB was super popular and was perfect for a ride, and Trolls is a hit for kids. Not the same thing as Monster Hunter which even most gamers don’t even play.

Sorry, I'm not trying to discredit those properties. I'm just trying to say that there are lots of non-Nintendo video game IP's. You can't say that they aren't theme park material, because they can be. This forum kinda refuses to acknowledge that there are other video game IP's that are not Nintendo-based that can make for great rides.

I mean, look what Disney did for Tron. They took an abysmal IP and turned it into one of their best rides. It's not impossible to turn a lower tier IP into something great.

IMO, things like Minecraft, Monster Hunter, and Sonic can be turned into great lands and/or rides. Minecraft is a land waiting to happen, Monster Hunter can be made into a dark ride, and Sonic can be made into a launched coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.