Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 223 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wicked isn't based on the film either, but it managed to be one of the most successful Broadway shows of all time.

Of course Universal does have a good relationship with Warner Brothers who owns the rights to the 1939 film...

The movie is coming out in December 2019. Wicked was based on a book, but in the workshops, the directors realized that audiences enjoyed the references to the 1939 film the most and any other references went over their head. Wicked did what they could, even including bits of the songs from the 1939 film. Also, even the ruby slippers are hinted/shown in the show.

The movie is coming out in December 2019. Wicked was based on a book, but in the workshops, the directors realized that audiences enjoyed the references to the 1939 film the most and any other references went over their head. Wicked did what they could, even including bits of the songs from the 1939 film. Also, even the ruby slippers are hinted/shown in the show.
I have seen the Broadway show twice, loved it...Would love a Wicked film to be successful

Wizard of Oz continues to be successful in merchandising despite the movie being 80 years old. If the new movie is a success the theme park and sales potential would be high. Getting the original movie rights should not be difficult, though it could be done with just the Wicked IP.

WoO could easily make for a successful mini land or just an attraction. Disney eliminating it via the replacement of TGMR makes it that much more viable.

Reactions: Andysol
I would actually argue against Oz for a multitude of reasons.

First and foremost, there have only been 3 successful Oz related projects (The Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, Wicked). Remember the Great and Powerful Oz as well as the Tin Man and Emerald City flopped despite being Wizard of Oz themed.

Now expand the idea. If they do the most well known Wizard of Oz here are the issues they will face: what will people eat, what will people drink, if its themed to the Emerald City, everything in there is green so for authenticity, all merch would have to be green too. They do Munchkinland, the cast members would have to be little people. Leading to one last film location which is the Witch's castle but that's so limiting.

If they go with the Wiz styling, Its way too urban and I honestly don't think aged well enough for modern theme park goers. Despite being very visually special.

Wicked is lot of open machinery look to it which is nice and fun and it does feature areas in the film and has food and drink options. However iconic merchandise such as the ruby slippers which was now jsut slippers is gone. However more locations than the other two to pull from.

Universal owns the rights to two of these as well as some Rankin Bass Oz films but they lack the most popular. At the same time, would they really want to invest so much money into a story that is now public domain just for select imagery.

Reactions: SeventyOne
At the same time, would they really want to invest so much money into a story that is now public domain just for select imagery.
I respect what you are saying. I just wanted to point out about basing investment on public domain stories. Disney made a career of making movies and more based on public domain fairy tales. It worked out pretty well.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Munchkinland doesn't have to have little people. I think guests can look past that, as long as they mimic the voice and the clothes are colorful. Munchkinland would have a candy store and a lot of meets and greet areas. Probably one quick service. The yellow brick road would have the apple orchard, with basic apple cider and apple pie like things. The emerald city would have one sit down restaurant and one quick service. I get the point about food, but most ips don't have food involved in the story as much as hp. The witches castle would be like Forbidden Journey. A gift shop and a ride. The reason why all of those other Oz films sucked is because it wasn't based on the original 1939 film. Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, and Wicked all have connections to the classic film and they have music.

What’s the attraction for OZ?
I outlined this in a previous statement. The Emerald City would have a soarin like ride, where you fly over Oz and see the vast landscape while encountering some of your favorite characters. The Witches castle would have some type of water raft ride, all based around the epic chase that happens in the castle. Ending in a melting Wicked Witch animatronic.

I plan on doing concept art for my ideas soon. It's really hard to explain.

Last edited:
Yeah...

If they do a "Wicked" based Oz land, there's a ton of variations they can do with the aesthetic and story.

For example, the Emerald City isn't ACTUALLY green. The Wizard directs everyone to wear the green glasses in an effort to hide its dinginess. There's also Animals (anthromorphic animals), and sections with a decided steampunk feel.

Nevermind that Shiz (the school) would likely be a better land with a ride to and through the Emerald City.

But a Wicked show, a Fiyero or Glinda flat-ride, an Emerald City dark ride, an Elphaba coaster, a Shiz counter-revolutionary restaurant and an Ozdust Ballroom sit-down restaurant could fill a land easy.

Reactions: SukaVayne73
I apologise if this seems offensive and I really don't mean it to be but a Wizard of Oz land could be a huge hit with gay days at Universal.
Saying that gay people typically like the wizard of Oz is like saying the sky is blue. It’s a great movie and fantasy story- gay or not. If homosexuals are prone to liking it, then they just have good taste in movies.
I think we can also say that gay days is a much bigger hit with Disney, so maybe this pulls a little of that attention from them as well.

I keep saying for a land to be incredibly successful, it should be instagramable. People would dress up for it. Oz fits that bill.

It always fascinated me that gone with the wind came it the same year. Pretty awesome.

I'm telling you all this could be a big hit for Universal if Warner Bros lets them do it. Right up there with Harry Potter and Nintendo
I agree- it’d be huge

What’s the attraction for OZ?
Disney and more: Gary Goddard's " The Wonderful World of OZ " Theme Park Project
Unfortunately, Goddard took down his 4 part series on his Oz park and design. It was absolutely incredible.
The coolest aspect of the entire thing was essentially you enter old Kansas, think Main Street. Colors are drab and grey and dusty- but you entered the farmhouse and did a soarin type ride in a balloon/tornado and then at ride exit, you’re in bright and colorful Oz.

How badass is that? You could still get to Oz not through the ride, but what an experience. I’d liken it to someone’s first time to hogsmeade. Sure, you could go early entry and through Seuss and lost continent, but wouldn’t it be a better experience to go to Diagon Alley, get your school supplies, wand and robe, then board the Hogwarts express to see hogsmeade and Hogwarts for the first time?

I’m on board 100% with Oz.

LoTR, Oz, SNW. Holy hell what a lineup.

Yeah...

If they do a "Wicked" based Oz land, there's a ton of variations they can do with the aesthetic and story.

For example, the Emerald City isn't ACTUALLY green. The Wizard directs everyone to wear the green glasses in an effort to hide its dinginess. There's also Animals (anthromorphic animals), and sections with a decided steampunk feel.

Nevermind that Shiz (the school) would likely be a better land with a ride to and through the Emerald City.

But a Wicked show, a Fiyero or Glinda flat-ride, an Emerald City dark ride, an Elphaba coaster, a Shiz counter-revolutionary restaurant and an Ozdust Ballroom sit-down restaurant could fill a land easy.

I thought they say "It's all grand, and it's all green" in the One Short Day song

I love the play on "rose colored glasses" though

Emerald City would have to be green though, you know, help it stand out

I thought they say "It's all grand, and it's all green" in the One Short Day song

I love the play on "rose colored glasses" though

Emerald City would have to be green though, you know, help it stand out
Only in the book version of the Wizard of Oz the Emerald City isn't actually green. In Wicked it's a fashion statement, also symbolic of how the people are blinded.

Reactions: shiekra38
Only in the book version of the Wizard of Oz the Emerald City isn't actually green. In Wicked it's a fashion statement, also symbolic of how the people are blinded.
That's right. It's been so long sense I read either. I just remembered the Emerald City wasn't actually green.

Status
Not open for further replies.