Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 247 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water parks are meant to be a more relaxing day. Lie in the sun, swim in the wave pool and you generally don’t have as big of a wait time which can justify the smaller ride time.

Water parks can provide just as much of a thrill, hell, there’s water slides I wouldn’t go near but pretty much every theme park ride is fair game. Slides also offer a bit more variety as you can make them more or less intense depending on how you ride.

I think the reason why this is engaging a lot of opinion is because when Universal announced they were building a water theme park, people probably expected more and there is definitely an evolutionary step to be made in water parks
Someone is going to do this eventually, especially in Florida. I’m sure many people are like me and would want a park full of Popeye’s and Dudley’s that you can just wear a bathing suit to and not care about getting wet.

I think that’s where we just fundamentally disagree, I dislike slides because of their lack of identity and general cheap feel.

That's where we disagree. Slides give you that personal feel that you can't get on any other ride, especially roller coasters. And I love roller coasters. But water slides are something else. While I would like to see a park with certain water rides (see above), it needs to have slides, wave pools, and lazy rivers as well. The park wouldn't stand out on its own.

Man, I'm like the sole person in the waterpark fandom, aren't I? :lol:

Someone is going to do this eventually, especially in Florida. I’m sure many people are like me and would want a park full of Popeye’s and Dudley’s that you can just wear a bathing suit to and not care about getting wet.
It's been done at Noah's Ark water park I believe...There is nothing wrong with littering a few traditional water rides in a water park...Plus, I imagine the higher capacity would be welcomed

Reactions: SeventyOne

These + Regular water slides = All my money.

Why is there a knockoff Spaceship Earth in that first one?
It's been done at Noah's Ark water park I believe...There is nothing wrong with littering a few traditional water rides in a water park...Plus, I imagine the higher capacity would be welcomed
I’ve seen clips of that on Travel channel but it still feels like a traditional water park. I don’t think anyone has really taken the step I’m talking about yet.

I just think it’s crazy to not expect more than IOA/USF. This park is being built in 2018 with tons of ideas to build on. I expect better than what we’ve ever seen.

I’d just like to see that kind of next level water park and would have no problem paying for it. I’d like to set aside a day where I don’t care about getting wet but I also don’t sacrifice the more complicated rides I love.

Someone has to do this eventually. It’s pretty much an untapped market.

Maybe it's an untapped market for a reason.

I am very intrigued at @Mike S ’s idea for a water park with no water slides, only rapids, flume, and other water attractions that you would usually find in major theme parks. I don’t think a true point has been made against this idea, people just tell him that it would never happen without actually saying why. Personally, I find water slides to feel dangerous and (for the most part) boring and same-y. Water attractions have a clear identity that slides lack, so while the theming of Volcano Bay is great to see from the outside, while you’re on the actual slides there is no identity but a colored tube.

The why is very simple- they aren’t going to put that type of expense into a park that sits dormant from October-February. 5 months of the year with abysmal numbers works at Water parks, because Water parks are dirt cheap compared to theme parks to both operate, maintain and construct.

It could only happen in a tropical destination like Hawaii where it’s 78 all year long- if hawaii was easily accessible and a major population hub. But unfortunately that location doesn’t exist domestically.

Now, if you’re saying take essentially TL/BB/VB and throw in a single flume like splash, a single raft like infinity falls or Popeye, and a single coaster like Poseidon’s, then I could see it working. Not an insane expense and could warrant a higher ticket price in the 7 months it is very popular.

That said- I think the biggest potential at any water park that we haven’t ever seen is a dark water ride. Something on the scale of Spider-Man but you get soaked. I’d love to see that.

The why is very simple- they aren’t going to put that type of expense into a park that sits dormant from October-February. 5 months of the year with abysmal numbers works at Water parks, because Water parks are dirt cheap compared to theme parks to both operate, maintain and construct.

It could only happen in a tropical destination like Hawaii where it’s 78 all year long- if hawaii was easily accessible and a major population hub.

Now, if you’re saying take essentially TL/BB/VB and throw in a single flume like splash, a single raft like infinity falls or Popeye, and a single coaster like Poseidon’s, then I could see it working. Not an insane expense and could warrant a higher ticket price in the 7 months it is very popular.

That said- I think the biggest missing piece at any water park that we haven’t ever seen is a dark water ride. Something on the scale of Spider-Man but you get soaked.

Again there is always the option to put it indoor with retractable roof which allows people to utilize the park even during storms and hurricanes.

Again there is always the option to put it indoor with retractable roof which allows people to utilize the park even during storms and hurricanes.

The expense to build that would be astronomical.

I wouldn’t be surprised if VB made its entire construction budget back already after a year of operating. Water parks are that profitable.
That would never happen in a theme park and would certainly never happen with the expenditure of an enclosed 150’ tall 40 acre park with a retractable roof.

Unless some alien roof and building technology comes to fruition- it’s simply unrealistic.

They're not going to build an indoor, theme-park-sized water park in a town where you can go to an outdoor water park comfortably for like 9 months out of the year.

Until there is an actual feasibility report published that is not based in statistical fact. However Mr David Sangree, the leader in waterpark reporting for the US has pointed out resort areas with indoor waterparks attract way more overnight guests with the sacrfice of the local population whilst outdoor waterparks attract way more locals with less overnight guests. If Universal's goal is occupancy, than indoor water park based on multiple market studies is the way to go.

Until there is an actual feasibility report published that is not based in statistical fact. However Mr David Sangree, the leader in waterpark reporting for the US has pointed out resort areas with indoor waterparks attract way more overnight guests with the sacrfice of the local population whilst outdoor waterparks attract way more locals with less overnight guests. If Universal's goal is occupancy, than indoor water park based on multiple market studies is the way to go.

I'd like to see a link to said research. But even then, Disney and Uni have outdoor waterparks, and neither of them is hurting for attendance or occupancy

Reactions: SeventyOne
Just some more suggestions relating to @Mike S's idea. Imagine what they could do with these, given the proper budget for theming.

My only concern with this ride is that it seems like a capacity nightmare. I would prefer straight-up slides, lazy/adventure rivers, or raft rides. Just as an overall, I wouldn't build any shuttle rides in parks that are expected to get as crowded as the Universal/WDW parks.

I think that I would prefer to see raft rides through caves with waterfalls. A little like Krakatau but maybe next level. Doesn't even need to be a volcano but would be a great opportunity for a dark ride.

Reactions: Mad Dog

is greatwoods still building in Orlando?

I imagine their park is for hotel guest, but it might be a way to gauge interest for an indoor water park in Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.