Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 398 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the collaboration thing was confirmed a few months ago by NBCUniversal execs during a conference. Every quarter all the divisions get together to discuss their projects to include the film/theme park to create synergy and tie projects together. I think its due to the disaster of supercharged as well.
Am I the only one who think that is a bit troublesome?
Making a movie is a creative process, sure it's a commercial movie so as with any expensive movie restrictions are in place but to also focus on theme park spin offs is bothering me.
I also think that the strength in Universals rides is in the fact they don't rehash a movie like Disney does but creates a new story in it's universe. How far does or should this collaboration go?

Making a movie is a creative process, sure it's a commercial movie so as with any expensive movie restrictions are in place but to also focus on theme park spin offs is bothering me.
I also think that the strength in Universals rides is in the fact they don't rehash a movie like Disney does but creates a new story in it's universe. How far does or should this collaboration go?

More so it lets the film creators/studio have a lot more influence than previous. Its supposed to lead itself to what we see with Harry Potter where you have the IP owner (In the event its based off something), the studio, and UC all working together to make something and make it right and how its supposed to be.

But I will say Dr. Dolittle isn't the only upcoming film project with collaboration with UC and the studios that is live action which also isn't on the film schedule yet.

More so it lets the film creators/studio have a lot more influence than previous. Its supposed to lead itself to what we see with Harry Potter where you have the IP owner (In the event its based off something), the studio, and UC all working together to make something and make it right and how its supposed to be.
Thank you for the insight, that sounds much better than I feared.

It's a creative process, but so is a hamburger. Anyone who doesn't want the ancillary responsibilities that come along with a studio movie can always go indie.

Unique creatures? I thought the guy is just a vet that can talk to animals?
The Pushme-pullyu

1*OjFzsHil3lLzJc8bR6ZivA.jpeg

And the Giant Glass/Pink Sea Snail

images

There is also a Giant Lunar Moth large enough for the Dr. ride.

Last edited:
It's not unheard of for Universal to start planning ahead with an attraction for an unreleased movie. As Alicia mentioned, they did it with Pets. They've done it with Van Helsing. Obviously, each project has had a different outcome, but I think it's fair to give Disneyhead the benefit of the doubt. We only have an idea as to what the new park may possibly feature as far as IP's and such.

I think the most famous example of this is JP:

Skip to 4mins 20secs if it doesn't do it automatically.

I think the most famous example of this is JP:

Skip to 4mins 20secs if it doesn't do it automatically.

Good one! The ride was based on a scene from the book though, and not a collaboration with the film team, (well, at least not in the early planning stages for the ride anyway). But yea, definitely a ride that started development and was greenlit before the movie was even done yet.

Good one! The ride was based on a scene from the book though, and not a collaboration with the film team, (well, at least not in the early planning stages for the ride anyway). But yea, definitely a ride that started development and was greenlit before the movie was even done yet.

IIRC the reason the boat tour was missing from the movie was because of the ride. It seemed like Steven Spielberg was calling the shots for the ride.

All that aside, Universal probably do this more often than we think and they will generally be able to tell just how popular a film will be. Given the earliest time that this park could open, it gives ample time from the movies release.

Personally I don’t really care what the IPs are as long as the rides and experiences deliver. I don’t care for HP but the rides are fantastic and it’s the same with Nintendo but I can’t wait to see what they deliver from all the rumours so far.

.This is from Jeff Shell, Head of Film Entertainment at the Merill Lynch Investor Conference

When Comcast bought the company, there was not much dialogue between the theme park division and the film division, which is kind of shocking because our movies, if I said yes to a movie right now, it will be three years before you saw the movie. It takes us a long lead time in making a movie. There is probably even a longer lead time in making a theme park attraction, right. So it's at least three years when you say yes to a theme park attraction until you are actually marketing it and opening the doors.

And we work together, we sit down with the parks once a quarter now. We go through our, they know our slate as well as I do, right and I know their roadmap as well as they do. So we are really in sync with them and you look at this year, they are a little light as far as new attractions this year. We are little light as far as animation this year. But if you look going forward two or three years, the ascendancy at some of our real brands are going to show themselves in attractions at the parks. And when those open, then we are going to actually have a benefit for us to launch additional Fast and Furious movies and Minions movies and things like that.

Question is what they will do with Jurassic Park/world. Does Universal Orlando really need to create another separate Jurassic world land over at a third gate? And leave JP the way it is at IOA bring in a Jurassic World coaster into IOA even though it’s still Jurassic Park. Or will the transformation start at JP into Jurassic World. If this were to happen don’t we all think we should agree on it happening after the Harry Potter coaster opens in summer 2019. Possibly late 2019? A new Jurassic World Arch, triceratops encounter replacement and something new along the trail at JP, an update to the river adventure but should they tear it down and make it into that long awaited Jeep safari ride we have been waiting for? Also their seems to be no room to put in a Mossasaur attraction which would make it a 3rd attraction of the land at IOA.

Reactions: Joseph
:eek:O:

A less.... confusing question is if they do end up doing Jurassic World at the new park, and the park has a hub-spoke design (or something like it), how will they deal with the loss of a central lagoon? The Beijing version seems to have a lot of interactions with the lagoon, including a coaster flying above it and a bridge going over it.

Doubt it. That's way too advanced for the tech we currently have.

Doesn't have to be too advanced. It could be an animatronic that just pops straight up and then straight back down to gobble a shark hanging there. Then the gallery seats could lower down to an "underwater" view that's actually just screens showing it swimming around and eating the rest of the shark like in the movie.

Blue Sky Hopes

Am I the only person who thinks a mosasaurus would be boring as hell?

It's a trained dolphin. We see it eat something, swim around, and then what?

...Something goes wrong!! The glass could start cracking as the Mono starts headbutting it before Rexy saves us after trying to eat us at the other park.

Reactions: |Q|
Status
Not open for further replies.