Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comcast CFO Kavanaugh mentioned during the UBS conference Illuminations AND Dreamworks come 2020 every year will launch an original IP based franchise/film. I can't help but have to think when it comes down to it this park will have to have a lot of expansion pads to cover the new IP launches and world of dreamworks would be the largest land.

Just because they're going to be churning out movies every year it doesn't mean every movie/IP would have a significant presence in the parks.

Outside of the few mega-hit Dreamworks and Illumnations franchises, at best I'd see the other "lesser" films get some characters wandering the land for photo ops and some added merch in the stores.

Comcast CFO Kavanaugh mentioned during the UBS conference Illuminations AND Dreamworks come 2020 every year will launch an original IP based franchise/film. I can't help but have to think when it comes down to it this park will have to have a lot of expansion pads to cover the new IP launches and world of dreamworks would be the largest land.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't the largest land

To take the discussion in a slightly different direction, do you think Universal will be implementing any green initiatives?

It's the way the world is heading and I could see solar panels, recycling, electric vehicles, water conservation (Although does Florida need this with so much rain?) etc.

These are usually costly to implement into an existing resort but if they're designed into the original designs, it's a step in the right direction.

I can’t believe you climbed that thing!! :bigeye:

It's not that bad....lol. I've done the climb 3 times now, getting easier each time!

You know, after one sentence; I now see reason to why we should not complain of it being an eyesore anymore..

It's a great observation tower for the new construction! I watched probably 100 dump trucks taking dirt into the site each day over the last 2 days. TONS of work going on over there for site prep.

Last edited:
To take the discussion in a slightly different direction, do you think Universal will be implementing any green initiatives?

It's the way the world is heading and I could see solar panels, recycling, electric vehicles, water conservation (Although does Florida need this with so much rain?) etc.

These are usually costly to implement into an existing resort but if they're designed into the original designs, it's a step in the right direction.
They where one of the first to replace lighting with led. It saves a ton of money in operations so I'm sure they'll do their best to implement it from the start.
I hope they learned from their stupid mistake with the volcano at Volcano Bay. I was excerpting the waterfall effect would be a closed loop and wouldn't use the heated water from the pool. At a cold day they loose a ton of energy to heat the water and still have cold water in the pool. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

While theme parks where I am at, now charge people who want to use plastic bags for merch as well as they charge extra for paper/disposable cups and plastic cutlery as a way to maintain green standards.

If Universal really behind green initiative, refill cups would end up being included with every ticket to reduce waste being used and actually cut costs as well. No more plastic bags being used in the shops for merch (buy a reusable bag).

Hotels will use keycard power (you power your room via Keycard after you walk in, you leave, all power is shut off).

The biggest I can see is replacing projection screens with OLED curved screens and the biggest reason for that is OLED televisions save a lot of energy due to the fact they turn pixels that aren't being used off which saves a lot of money in the long run.

Site B is roughly the same size, ATM, as the current property; so yes, even though it's big enough to hold 3 parks - that would leave little room for everything else they want to do (hotels, CityWalk 2.0, etc).

Forgot about the hotels/CityWalk 2.0 in my excitement. Way to bring me down, Brian. :grin:

If they were to copy and paste the existing resort formula, would a two-fer still be possible? Probably depends on what they're going for. MK is (according to Google) about 110 acres, but Epcot is 300 - if they're going for a legitimately larger park, I guess it wouldn't be all that surprising.

Forgot about the hotels/CityWalk 2.0 in my excitement. Way to bring me down, Brian. :grin:

If they were to copy and paste the existing resort formula, would a two-fer still be possible? Probably depends on what they're going for. MK is (according to Google) about 110 acres, but Epcot is 300 - if they're going for a legitimately larger park, I guess it wouldn't be all that surprising.

Things are fluid, but to my understanding, the new park will be bigger than both UO parks, but not bigger than Epcot.

It seems that things are constantly changing, but to my understanding this is how it will play out:

Phase 1 would include a new dry theme park about the size of Magic Kingdom, a few (2 or 3) hotels and another CityWalk type area. Instead of a parking garage, the belief is that there will be a large surface lot for day guests.

Phase 2 would likely include additional hotels (1 or 2) as well as another water park.

Phase 3 would be another dry theme park built where the proposed surface lot will be built.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to confuse people or start spreading false information.

Status
Not open for further replies.