Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

I am honestly very surprised by the flak that some people are giving the hub because it is not tied to an IP.

Original attractions are what theme parks are all about! If it weren’t for originals we wouldn’t have anything that we have today. Creators letting their imagination run wild with true organic storytelling not tied down to the boundaries of something that is already created. The possibilities are endless with originals
Great point. I constantly read posts, on both this site and Disney oriented sites, complaining about too many IP based attractions and not enough original non IP rides. People should be happy Universal is doing a hub land that is essentially based on original ideas. This will be the bones of the park that tie all the themes (IP's) together. Pure genius, as Guinness would say.

It follows that the aspect of this park I’m least excited about is the actual ‘content.’ I don’t really see a lot of these properties as a pull, but I’ll sure spend hours exploring the ‘theme-park-y’ bits and soaking up the environmental design.

Well, in Epic's defense, i can pretty much guarentee you that at least half of the lands (excluding the hub) will be big pullers. SNW has the name recognition and ageless appeal to be an easy sell and by god, if you don't think FB will use the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" tagline that Universal has been building on for the last ten years to attract guests, your a damn fool!

As for the others, Monsters will most likely play the "fan pleaser" role well How To Train Your Dragon is a bit more of a wildcard. We'll just have to see. All i know for certain is that a new Wizarding World land and the introduction of Nintendo, a franchise that seems to be following in Potter's footsteps, will be the big hooks of this new park when it opens.

Just catching up on the other thread — if the hub and hub attractions are indeed majority original not ip, that’s odds-on my favourite land already. With that look as well, sold.

Well, in Epic's defense, i can pretty much guarentee you that at least half of the lands (excluding the hub) will be big pullers. SNW has the name recognition and ageless appeal to be an easy sell and by god, if you don't think FB will use the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" tagline that Universal has been building on for the last ten years to attract guests, your a damn fool!

As for the others, Monsters will most likely play the "fan pleaser" role well How To Train Your Dragon is a bit more of a wildcard. We'll just have to see. All i know for certain is that a new Wizarding World land and the introduction of Nintendo, a franchise that seems to be following in Potter's footsteps, will be the big hooks of this new park when it opens.

This is all true, but I can’t quite get on board with the major ‘anchor’ being something which will already exist in two other locations by the time this opens.

I am honestly very surprised by the flak that some people are giving the hub because it is not tied to an IP.

Original attractions are what theme parks are all about! If it weren’t for originals we wouldn’t have anything that we have today. Creators letting their imagination run wild with true organic storytelling not tied down to the boundaries of something that is already created. The possibilities are endless with originals
Yes! Yes! YES! Originals are one of my favorite features and I'm very sad other theme parks *cough cough* Disney *cough cough* are neglecting originals more and more. The hub seems to be very explore-like which will be fun for many and can give off many merch and promotional ideas as well.

Also look what somebody (I forget who) spotted on the other thread.
9bd9c7d0-7fad-4c07-8969-c1442b23c6fe-jpeg.10384

I’m also strongly on the original design side — it’s what makes parks different and unique and exciting. IOA would be orders of magnitude weaker without Port of Entry.

It follows that the aspect of this park I’m least excited about is the actual ‘content.’ I don’t really see a lot of these properties as a pull, but I’ll sure spend hours exploring the ‘theme-park-y’ bits and soaking up the environmental design.

Similarly I’m very excited about however they present the overarching theme ala PoE. I’m excited about Nintendo because of the hype around it and Monsters because I’m a big horror fan, but otherwise I don’t feel like there are a ton of properties worth being made in to lands and many that are aren’t universal properties. Uni hasn’t really had an opportunity to do original attractions since LC at IoA and they’ve gutted it almost completely.

I think overall attraction quality is what matters most so even IPs I don’t necessarily care for can still be favorites, but I am excited by the opportunities the large hub presents.

Ok can we just stop for a second and appreciate what the predicted attraction lineup is based on the concept art? I mean we got Mario Kart, a Donkey Kong roller coaster, a classic monsters haunted house, a double launch coaster, a clone of Space Fantasy from USJ and much more! I mean, yeah it's just speculation, but it still sounds unbelievable to see all those things in a single park.

Poor Mike. You’ve been waiting for Nintendo to come to Universal Orlando for what, 28 years now? It’s on the horizon! How many grand children will you have to take to the parks by then? :)
?

I’m just wondering what’s holding it back. Everyone knows that’s where it’s going. Even the art is clear as day even if missing finer details.

This is all true, but I can’t quite get on board with the major ‘anchor’ being something which will already exist in two other locations by the time this opens.

Well, WW: Hogsmeade opened here on the west coast in 2016, 6 years after it first opened in IOA, and still remained a massive success. Harry Potter proved that, as long as the land/attraction is strong enough, it can keep it's momentum even with multiple openings over time.

Now, if you consider the facts that SNW will presumably open with less time between then Hogsmeade, will contain an additional ride exclusive to the east coast and, oh I don't know, is opening with a WHOLE NEW PARK! I think it's safe to say that with historical evidence on SNW's side plus the advantages it will have over it's counterparts, there shouldn't be any fear that opening last will slow down Orlando's version of the land.

Will say, considering the months of it being very very established what general lands would go into the park , absolutely excited and most pleasantly surprised by the Hub.I was never quite sure what I was expecting from the hub, beyond that it would probably be some sort of "World between Worlds" Space port. But they totally blew my mind with their take on that concept, and are gonna have original IP attractions to boot and wow, that dueling coaster, very very excited. That said, also really jazzed for some of the ride concepts we can see in the lands that hadn't really been talked about much before.

IP’s are essentially just brand names in theme parks to hook you into paying for that ticket. It’s all about the quality of the attractions and the theming of the park itself. You can have every single IP to your disposal and the park can still suck. Have you looked at Six flags? The coasters are named after DC properties. It doesn’t add anything to the attractions. So if the hub doesn't have an IP who cares? It’s about the level of theming and experience/quality of the ride/show.

I’m not good at making out these watercolor concept art pieces somebody help me here lol

It's one of those pendulum rides i think. You see them at permanent carnivals. You get in a big wheel and it swings you around. Never been on one, just looking at one of those things makes me nauseous.

Will say, considering the months of it being very very established what general lands would go into the park , absolutely excited and most pleasantly surprised by the Hub.I was never quite sure what I was expecting from the hub, beyond that it would probably be some sort of "World between Worlds" Space port. But they totally blew my mind with their take on that concept, and are gonna have original IP attractions to boot and wow, that dueling coaster, very very excited. That said, also really jazzed for some of the ride concepts we can see in the lands that hadn't really been talked about much before.
Not really sure why your “blown away” by it.

Also look what somebody (I forget who) spotted on the other thread.

Sorry, but I don’t see what it is that has been spotted. Can you help me out?

?

I’m just wondering what’s holding it back. Everyone knows that’s where it’s going. Even the art is clear as day even if missing finer details.

I was just trying to make a funny based on your love for Nintendo in general. That is all that I meant.

Not really sure why your “blown away” by it.

I mean, I already said why in my post, I was not sure what to expect, and the concept, theming and what all seems to be a part of it are beyond my expectations or previous thoughts on it. It's fine if you aren't "blown away" by it, different strokes.

I mean, I already said why in my post, I was not sure what to expect, and the concept, theming and what all seems to be a part of it are beyond my expectations or previous thoughts on it. It's fine if you aren't "blown away" by it, different strokes.
I just need to see more. All I see is a few white buildings and some water fountains. Nothing I haven’t seen before. What does surprise me is the dueling coaster. Now that was unexpected!

Is anybody else a bit disappointed that they decided to go with the classic Universal arch for the entrance?

Not that I have anything against it. I’m sure it’s going to look fantastic. But, I was just hoping for something completely different. Just like IOA.

And...Yes I know it’s concept art and can change.