Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

I think fans are the first to call out something that GP notice at a much later date

The screen thing is a good example. Fans were complaining about it since Gringotts...in the GP's mind it's just now becoming a bit too much

I love the use of screens in Gringotts. The problem for that ride is the abrupt ending. If they had only had another 200 feet of coaster track.......

Its hard right now at USF to do everything in 1 day without a headache because of all the screens, 3D, and motion based rides. Im not even someone who gets sick from rides but we did a full day last September and I was honestly tired and had a little bit of a headache. I still think USF is a good park but it needs other attractions, more practical things, I really think Bourne may help a ton with that. Having Minion, Fallon, Shrek, Transformers, Simpsons, and F&F is just kinda embarrassing. Sorry, but it is kinda. Doesn't show off the capabilities that this team has.

I went over summer and USF was my last day. I got physically sick from all the screen rides. Didn’t even do shrek that day. In a way, I’m grateful for FnF, as I would be way less hyped for Epic I’d they didn’t realize screens were getting awful. What’s rumored for epic looks phenomenal.

These are local and state tax breaks specifically designed to encourage new development. They will be more than offset by the sales and resort taxes that this expansion brings in.

This is exactly what these tax breaks were designed for.

Universal is getting them under “software publishing” industry. This is in addition to their support of being in a “high crime” area and all the cuts for building roads and such.

Universal is getting them under “software publishing” industry. This is in addition to their support of being in a “high crime” area and all the cuts for building roads and such.
There will be plenty of software creation with what Universal is doing around the world. Just look at what they are doing with facial recognition tech.

What the US government forces on citizens and what a private corporation uses with paying guests are different though. A disclaimer when you buy your park ticket already allows them to do lots of things like track you in the park. If you don’t like it, don’t go, is kinda the attitude.

There was some pushback against MagicBands, and even fingerprint scanning at theme parks, so it’ll be interesting to see how and if facial recognition gets implemented. But I mean, they already use it for hotel guests Express and I’m not seeing any outrage. :shrug:
Facebook is a private corporation and look at all of the bad things they have been doing. There is a reason regulation is important. Even small corporations can sell your collected data to bad people or be compelled by the government to give it up.

I know tax breaks can spur development... but for corporations that make billions, and have profit... it just seems gross to use public money for a park that will exist for decades and decades and rake in money.
And for decades and decades employ many thousands and pay room taxes, sales taxes, corporate taxes, etc. 500M is just a small portion of what Universal is investing and a pittance compared to the revenue the governments will reap through encouraging this development.
Often it is not if you can afford something but that a locale wants you to spend your money locally rather than in the next county over.
We will get plenty of return here

This specific tax break was originally enacted to incentivize Locheed Martin to expand in Orlando.

Lockheed Martin isn't really what I would call a start-up small business in need.

And for decades and decades employ many thousands and pay room taxes, sales taxes, corporate taxes, etc. 500M is just a small portion of what Universal is investing and a pittance compared to the revenue the governments will reap through encouraging this development.
Often it is not if you can afford something but that a locale wants you to spend your money locally rather than in the next county over.
We will get plenty of return here

I can see that if you’re trying to entice someone over, but UOR is already there and are going to expand regardless. They are an established market raking in money, owned by a giant of corporate America.

They don’t need handouts. Nor does Disney or any other giant.

I can see that if you’re trying to entice someone over, but UOR is already there and are going to expand regardless. They are an established market raking in money, owned by a giant of corporate America.

They don’t need handouts. Nor does Disney or any other giant.
But something like the global headquarters for Universal Creative is something that doesn't exist anywhere and could just as easily go in Hollywood. And that is a lot of high paying jobs that increases the local tax revenue.

And giving incentives to giant corporations to locate and expand in your area is the point. They create jobs that increase the tax base. Giving incentives to start ups that will create 25-100 jobs doesn't really help the community all that much.