Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 212 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about the reception of the FB franchise? Think they'll.jist pivot to the original?
Don't like her or FB but they got obligations to fulfill and it makes money. In fact, obligations to Nintendo and FB might be half the reason this project pulls through.
Before Covid happened what do you think the price tag was on this thing? Bejing has been reported to be like 4 billion so I could have seen this been a solid 6 billion or so.
Beijing required an entirely new resort infrastructure to be built whereas this is just a single park with a hotel. I'd say less than Beijing but more than any of the 90s parks. So in the 2-3 billion range.

Nah. It would have been cheaper than Beijing. Way more infrastructure work going into Beijing.
I feel they’ll be about the same if not EU costing more if they choose newer ride systems for any of the rides. Add in the new (and likely larger) parade and nighttime shows, the shows already set there, plus it just sounds so nice based on every insiders reports so I feel it’s not gonna be a cheap looking park, not that Beijing is, but this has a significantly more intricate design.

Now as someone who’s never built or paid for a theme park, Idk if that factors in but I imagine it’s gotta to some degree. I could be wrong though.

Nah. It would have been cheaper than Beijing. Way more infrastructure work going into Beijing.
However, Beijing is tapping into an entirely new market near a major metropolitan city. Beijing is also opening with multiple time-tested rides ands IPs. So that 4 billion for an entirely new attendance base with rides that are known to work is seen as a much safer investment than the lower-priced EU, which without COVID would have entered an already robust entertainment market within Orlando (in effect necessitating that the park open with quality on par with Disney and the best of Universal) and with COVID is entering a severely stressed market without an ETA on a full recovery.

I feel they’ll be about the same if not EU costing more if they choose newer ride systems for any of the rides. Add in the new (and likely larger) parade and nighttime shows, the shows already set there, plus it just sounds so nice based on every insiders reports so I feel it’s not gonna be a cheap looking park, not that Beijing is, but this has a significantly more intricate design.

Now as someone who’s never built or paid for a theme park, Idk if that factors in but I imagine it’s gotta to some degree. I could be wrong though.

Beijing included building canals, a CityWalk, 2 hotels, the park, and all the infrastructure for all those. Plus the costs of doing business in China that don't show up in the park. No way EU costs the same.

Wha? I thought for sure you were actually Bob Chapek! ;)

Anyway, I think it’s likely this park will have a low number of rides when it finally opens. I know that’s a problem to many, but unlike say DCA, those few rides will likely really make it count. SNW in Japan looks incredible and they have spared little expense with Wizarding World projects.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Before Covid happened what do you think the price tag was on this thing? Bejing has been reported to be like 4 billion so I could have seen this been a solid 6 billion or so.
I wouldn't be surprised if the park itself was 3-4 billion and the infrastructure/stuff around it another 1.5-2 billion

I don't think Orlando's SNW is going to be plussed-up, either. I know the talk initially was that, as a consolation prize for having to be last in line to get the land, ours would be the biggest and best version, it sure looks like Japan is going to have all three attractions that Orlando's is supposed to have by the time Orlando's eventually opens (in whichever park that happens to be).

Good point. I’ll probably end up visiting Japan’s SNW before they even break ground on Florida’s.

Reactions: belloq87
It’s not that. We’ve been through a hell of a year and for many people they’d rather prepare for the worst in order not to have their heart broken. The problem is this isn’t a relationship, it’s a company who employs people. Image a group of people being pessimistic over rumors of McDonalds new menu items coming out.
Someone isn't active on FastFoodTwitter...
Remember the Popeye's and Chick-Fil-A war? Or remember the excitement for McRib season? Pepperidge Farms remembers

I mean people are pretty salty over Taco Bell dropping the Mexican Pizza

Reactions: Grabnar
I wouldn't be surprised if the park itself was 3-4 billion and the infrastructure/stuff around it another 1.5-2 billion

If that's the case I wonder how much they would save by delaying the two Universal-owned lands? Like if the original total price tag was <$4B then I could feasibly see it being built (with cuts) without THAT much of a delay (as in ~2026). But yeesh, if it was ~$6B total, I could see it being ~2029.

Last edited:
Man, theme parks are quite the investment. Even if the world were normal and the year was 2023 and EU opened, it would have still taken YEARS for this land to make a profit.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Delaying parts of the park will slow down the return on investment. It also interferes with the ease of construction, noise, etc for park guests and hotel guests.
If the total would be $6B it's not that expensive. Remember Disney build two $1B lands with just 2 rides each in them.
I also think Universal Monsters will be the least expensive. They build Hogmead and the Hogwarts ride for, if I remember correctly $250 million. So if they would spent double that they could easily create the ride and village.
And Super Nintendo World is already developed and build so reproducing that is less expensive (except for the Donkey Kong ride and area).

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Delaying parts of the park will slow down the return on investment. It also interferes with the ease of construction, noise, etc for park guests and hotel guests.
If the total would be $6B it's not that expensive. Remember Disney build two $1B lands with just 2 rides each in them.
I also think Universal Monsters will be the least expensive. They build Hogmead and the Hogwarts ride for, if I remember correctly $250 million. So if they would spent double that they could easily create the ride and village.
And Super Nintendo World is already developed and build so reproducing that is less expensive (except for the Donkey Kong ride and area).
This is why if anytbing is cut it’d be a show first, or meet n greets, dining, etc.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Status
Not open for further replies.