Universal's Photo Connect | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Photo Connect

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 11, 2012
Orlando Fl
Welcome to the most in depth discussion of Universal's Photo Connect! Please feel free to ask questions and post your experience in this thread. Also if any would like to be used as samples in the OP, please reply with a photo of yourself and how you'd like to be credited. With a little bit of foreknowledge you can make the most of this service, and save some money and time in the process. Below I break down Universal's Photo Connect and more importantly the Star Card.
**DISCLAIMER**
All information provided has been collected by myself. All details are subject to change at any time. While the information here is very detailed, and to best of my knowledge accurate, it should simply be used as a guide to get the most out of the Photo Connect. For specific questions regarding Photo Connect I'd recommend using the links provide in the "Get Social" section below

Photo Connect
Once you've taken your first photo in the parks you'll receive a Photo Connect card. Photos are held on the card for the day they are given, and are made to be viewed IN THE PARK ONLY. If you want to add more photos onto your Photo Connect card any photographer can simply take a photo of that card before shooting your picture and add it onto the card. This also applies to ride photos, except HRRR and FJ (HRRR and FJ can only be viewed/purchased at those locations so they aren't able to place them on a Photo Connect card)If you want to keep all these park photos Universal offers a package called the Star Card. I believe the Photo Connect Star Card is the best option and value for those wanting photos in the park. The Star Card allows you to download any photos you add to the Star Card while in the parks. These include photographers, meet and greets, ride photos, and unique photo opportunities.

Star Card
Star Cards can be purchased at any Photo Connect location.
11788957984_5f510b8475_n.jpg

When you purchase a Star Card you receive a lanyard and Star Card which features a unique QR code.
Once activated you can add as many park photos as you'd like during the period of 3 consecutive days that will be available for download. (Staying longer than 3 days or have an Annual Pass? Keep reading, I'll get to you in a minute)
You'll also receive a free 4x6 and 5x7 print at time of purchase.
There is a smart phone app on Android and iPhone that you can use with your Star Card to download and share your photos on the go. You can also use the app to register your account. (When purchasing you'll choose an email that is used as your username on the app/website)
If you are looking for more prints while in the park you get exclusive pricing on in park prints. Options include 4x6's, 5x7's,8x10's, keychains, Posters and more.

Participating Locations
You've got your Star Card now, where can you use it?

USF Roving Photography (This is any stand alone photographer, usually found at the front of the park and other photo/character ops throughout)

Sponge Bob Hot Set

ET Toy Closet
11809410375_a0c3da85ae_n.jpg

MIB Alien Attack
11789972364_b9383172c1_n.jpg

Revenge of the Mummy Ride
11789807273_4dc6d8fb65_n.jpg

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

Transformers Meet & Greet
11789414865_7328e5451a_n.jpg

Transformers Queue Line Photo
(Not open on slower days)

Shrek and Donkey Meet & Greet
11809818684_4c8bb0e8fa_n.jpg

Simpsons Hot Set (Couch Gag)
11809424895_9137c27a89_n.jpg

IOA Roving Photography

Incredible Hulk Coaster
11810159216_a69de71752_n.jpg

Spider-man Hot Set
11789978904_3986bbdb84_n.jpg

Amazing Adventures of Spider-man, in Que
11789800183_fe5edd0edc_n.jpg

High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride, in Queue
11790340486_ddac0703f0_n.jpg

Rip Saw Falls
11809828234_2c79cf7921_n.jpg

Jurassic Park Auto Capture

Jurassic Park River Adventure
11810160986_2fdabb7fac_n.jpg

WWoHP Forbidden Journey
11809420125_ceb18e405c_n.jpg

Unique Locations
Now that you know where you can use it, let's talk about some of the photos that are a little bit different.
First up Spider Man. Spider Man has not one, but two photo ops in relatively close proximity to each other. The first is a meet and greet opportunity with the web head himself. The second is taken in the standby line before riding the ride. Both of these photos are "green" screen style photos that must be finished by a Photo Connect Associate. Any Photo Connect location can do this, but there are ones in both main gift shops in Marvel Super Hero Island if you wanted to see it right away.

Next up is another photo taken in the line of the ride, High in the Sky Seuss Trolley. This is another green screen photo that must be finished by a Photo Connect Associate.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has an on ride photo but due to "magical" restrictions, Forbidden Journey photos can only be seen, viewed, purchased, and added to Star Cards at Forbidden Journey.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit has an onboard ride photo and video. Due to technical limitations HRRR photos and videos can only be seen, viewed, purchased at HRRR. In order to get your unlimited photos from this location you are given paper download codes. The codes are redeemed on the website after logging in. IF YOU PURCHASE THE STAR CARD AT THIS LOCATION IT MUST BE LATER ACTIVATED AT ANOTHER LOCATION.

Jurassic Park Auto Capture is usually manned by a Photo Connect Team Member, but even when it isnt it is easy to add pictures to any Photo Connect or Star Card. There is a scanning machine to scan your card. Once scanned the screen gives you a countdown, and snaps the shot!
12032923843_b4d305f141_c.jpg

Longer Options
If you have an Annual Pass when you purchase a Star Card it will not have a 3 day limit, instead it will last for 365 days!
If you don't have an Annual Pass but are staying for longer than 3 consecutive days there are two options. You can use the online pre sale to select the web exclusive 14 day package, or add 3 days to your package using the extension in the park.

In Park Pricing
Pricing as of 2/13/14 (Universal does not post pricing, and prices/details of these are subject to change at any time.)
3 day Star Card Package $59.95 + Tax

Annual Pass Package $59.95 + Tax

3 Day Extension $24.95
Includes an additional 4x6 and 5x7 at time of purchase

Exclusive pricing on in park prints:
20% off all Amazing Pictures (heads on bodies), 50% off in park 16x18 posters.
$5 Key Chains, 3D Frames & Photo (3D available for Hulk, River Adventure, and Spider-Man M&G photos only), and Hulk Ride DVDs.
$10 8x10's $5 5x7's $2 4x6's
$20 HRRR DVD

Wet n Wild digitals add on $20
This one isn't highly advertised but bring your Star Card to Wet n Wild and you can add your digitals there as well.

Online Pricing (SAVE MONEY)
The pre sale options actually give you more to choose from, and saves you money! You activate these options once in the park

Web Exclusive 1 day Photo Connect Star Card: $39.95
3 Day Photo Connect Star Card: $49.95
1 year Annual Pass Holder Photo Connect (Annual Pass required): $49.95
Web Exclusive 14 Day Photo Connect Star Card: $89.99
http://presale.amazingpictures.com/PhotoConnect.aspx
You can activate pre sales at any Photo Connect location.

Save Time
Photos taken by photographers are not edited unless viewed in the park. Hopefully this will change and give better editing options after the fact on the website. If you would like to save time at the end of the night, view your photos periodically throughout the day when the lines are the shortest. Editing done in the park includes border choosing (I.E. putting your Minion photo in a Despicable Me border)and special effects, also known as "decals". (I.E. Spider Man's webshooters)If you have viewed all the photos you have added to your Star Card throughout the day, there is no need to stop at the end of the night. If you find you havent viewed all your photos and it's almost closing time, head to a different Photo Connect location than the last one. (Just not HRRR or FJ) They have all the photos the front locations have and a fraction of the line. The app comes in handy with this, as usually you'll be able to see all your photos relatively quickly.

Downloading photos
Photos can be downloaded from the website UniversalPhotoConnect.com
8168633452_0033249d98_n.jpg

or from the smartphone app for Android and iPhone. (point your mobile browser to app.amazingpictures.com)

Get Social
Here are the Photo Connect social accounts where you can ask questions. If you are in need of more in depth support you can email cs@amazingpictures.com
Universal Photo Connect Facebook
@UOPhotoConnect on Twitter

FAQ

Q: What is the difference between a Photo Connect card and a Star Card?
A: Photo Connect cards are given out whenever a photo is taken, even if you do not purchase it. Think of this as a claim ticket for easier retrieval in the park. These are good the day they are given and DO NOT go online. Star Cards are very similar in look to Photo Connect cards, but can be told apart by Star Card being written on the front, the presence of a website, and having a code starting in "UPC". If a Star Card is purchased it provides online access for photos that are added to it.

Q: I received a Photo Connect card in the park. Why cant I view these online?
A: This is the biggest difference between Disney's Photo Pass and Universal's Photo Connect. The Photo Connect cards are not sent online unless you buy a digital package before leaving the park. Photo Connect cards are used to lookup your photo at an in park location and are held for the day the photo is taken only. Think of them as a claim ticket. Your photos are sent online if you activate a Star Card while in the park.

Q. I have pictures where I was supposed to be holding something and nothing is there.
A. Photos can be edited while in the park. By simply viewing your photos in the parks before you go these edits will be saved on your account. Editing can include changing the included border and adding in special effects.

Q. Photos are not showing up in the app quickly. Have I lost them?
A. Normally photos will show up almost immediately on your account after adding them. If the photo was taken via roaming photographer please allow approximately 1 hour for the photo to be available in the park. Sometimes, especially during busier times, photos can take 24-72 hours to push through to your account on the website/app. You can verify the photos have been added to your account at any Photo Connect location.

Q. Where can I get a hard Star Card?
A. While no longer included with purchase of a Star Card, you can still purchase the hard custom Star Card in the parks. Ask a Photo Connect associate for current locations offering this upgrade.

Q. Why do I have to pay for a download from the website?
A. If you purchased a Star Card you do not! You already paid for the download when purchasing the Star Card. If you want to just download your photos make sure you hit the download button under each thumbnail of your photo under the photo albums page. If you hit the thumbnail you are taken to a product order page with many amazing products and you will see a digital download option. No worries, back up a page and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12th Man and Felipe
Wow. I am really shocked by those prices. If I didn't hate being in photos so much, I'd take advantage of the AP deal.

Wow. I am really shocked by those prices. If I didn't hate being in photos so much, I'd take advantage of the AP deal.
Note for AP holders. You can attach to your whole family's annual passes for that one price. So anyone in your group can put the photos into your account.

Also they have an app for android/iPhone. app.amazingpictures.com

Last edited:
Note for AP holders. You can attach to your whole family's annual passes for that one price. So anyone in your group can put the photos into your account.

Also they have an app for android/iPhone. app.amazingpictures.com

Thank you for that. I'll be keeping this in mind.

Bout ime they realized people won't pay for outragously priced pictures, when everyones can just camera phone it... I always say I don't mind spending a little extra but I won't be gouged.

so i havent done any research on the whole photo connect thing

as an AP holder i can pay $80 a year and get a digital download of all my on ride photos?

also you said whole family. i guess my girlfriend doesn't count even if i paid for her pass?

so i havent done any research on the whole photo connect thing

as an AP holder i can pay $80 a year and get a digital download of all my on ride photos?

also you said whole family. i guess my girlfriend doesn't count even if i paid for her pass?

Whoever is there when you buy it up to about 5-6. All ride photos except HRRR and all photographer photos. I.E. SpongeBob M&G or front gate

Last edited:
They cut the price of the Annual Pass Package in half and brought it in line with the 5 day variant.
As of 8/20/12
Photo Connect Package $39.95 + Tax Includes:
1 printed photo at time of purchase
Unlimited digital photos in both parks for 5 consecutive days (you get a Photo Connect card and you add your photos as you go) The only photos not included are FJ, and HRRR. All other rides, character shoots, and front gate photos are included.
1 Photo Connect Lanyard and souvenir "ID Card"
$10 5x7/8x10 Prints of all photo connect photos. (Not HRRR or FJ)

Annual Pass Package $39.95 + Tax
If you are an Annual Pass Holder, you now get exactly the same as mentioned above for 365 consecutive days.

They've updated Photo Connect. Frequenters will notice that you will no longer receive tickets from each photographer or ride you attend. Instead you receive one Photo Connect card from your first photo of the day. Any photographer can simply take a photo of that card before shooting your picture and add it onto the card. This means one card for all your pictures. This also works at all the photo ops and rides minus FJ and HRRR. If you buy the 5 Day/Annual Pass you will be able to use that card the same as the Photo Connect card. It has been named the Photo Connect Star Card. Also the Star Card now includes free digitals at HRRR. (although they are given as a code on a paper ticket)
With the Star Card you get online access (digital downloads + paid products + a photo CD of all your photos plus stock Universal Studios photo if you pay S&H) and you get 20% off any purchases made at HRRR, FJ or Amazing Pictures locations in Universal Studios. You also get $10 prints at all Photo Connect locations.
You can see the Star Card below from the website UniversalPhotoConnect.com
8168633452_0033249d98_z.jpg

When I was on Spider-Man yesterday around 6:30 they had some photo connect experiment going on in the last office before the trophy room in the queue line. I didn't check out my photo but apparently these photos have a Daily Bugle frame to them. :cheers: