USH Planning - Everything but the parks! | Inside Universal Forums

USH Planning - Everything but the parks!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

GA-MBIT

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2017
Isle Delfino
Hey all, I'm in the early stages of trying to plan a visit to USH recently, potentially for around HHN time. It would be my first trip to that specific park, but I feel like I can probably manage most of the planning when it comes to tickets and rides and shows and the like. My main question come with stuff like hotels, transportation, airports, etc.

I'd be flying into California from the central Florida area. What is the best way to get around LA? Do any of you have experiences with the hotels around USH? How walkable is the immediate area, and how expensive do rental cars or Ubers usually go for? Any notable concerns when it comes to nearby airports? I know traffic through Los Angeles is notoriously awful. Is there any amount that I might end up dealing with if I were just going to USH?

Are you only planning on going to Universal Studios? If so, I would explore flying into Burbank rather than LAX. You will pay more for the privilege (and it will not be nonstop) but it will make it much cheaper to take an Uber from the airport to your hotel.

The Sheraton "on property" is perfectly fine as is the Hilton, though there will be cheaper options in the area. If you're comfortable taking the train, you may be able to find something a hotel along the Metro Red Line route, which runs to the park.

Renting a car will be the easiest way to get around, but if you're not planning on exploring beyond USH, I would try to find a way to avoid it. Renting the car won't be terribly expensive, but you'll likely pay for parking at your hotel. And if you get free parking at the hotel because of its location, etc., you'll then be far enough away from USH that you'll be paying for parking there.

Anyway, I'd recommend looking at both LAX and BUR for flights and then price out taking an Uber to a close hotel and back. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions!

Hey all, I'm in the early stages of trying to plan a visit to USH recently, potentially for around HHN time. It would be my first trip to that specific park, but I feel like I can probably manage most of the planning when it comes to tickets and rides and shows and the like. My main question come with stuff like hotels, transportation, airports, etc.

I'd be flying into California from the central Florida area. What is the best way to get around LA? Do any of you have experiences with the hotels around USH? How walkable is the immediate area, and how expensive do rental cars or Ubers usually go for? Any notable concerns when it comes to nearby airports? I know traffic through Los Angeles is notoriously awful. Is there any amount that I might end up dealing with if I were just going to USH?
Never been to USH but I understand the immediate area around the park is very walkable…everywhere else in LA? Not so much.

Ubers depend on traffic. I was last there in March and had a VERY hard time getting around with Uber (for reference, was largely between the LAX and Beverly Hills). During rush hour, forget it…if you’re going farther than ~25 minutes away they’ll just cancel on you (in which case I’d use the hotel cab stand and deal with the passive-aggressive comments from the driver about having to deal with traffic). If the traffic isn’t terrible, the Ubers seem to be a little more open to driving you farther distances (which of course are common in the LA sprawl) but still expect options to be slim. As far as pricing, I’d budget for about $70-$90 for every 30 minutes you plan to be in transit.

If you’re just going for USH and can get a hotel nearby, I think you’ll be okay ponying up the cash for a cab to and from LAX or John Wayne and then relying on walking or Ubering to get to the park. Otherwise, a rental car is your best bet IMO…less stressful, more flexible, and probably cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I think it really comes down to what you mean by "walkable". Like, does that include a wide selection of shops and food that are walkable from USH? Not so much, but the nearby (5-10 minute drive, a very easy Uber) North Hollywood Arts District (Called NoHo) is very walkable with a lot of great places to eat, and an Amazon Fresh if you need general food (although not a lot of other shopping options--it's more food and bars). Another area would be Ventura Blvd, between Coldwater Canyon and Laurel Canyon (about 10-15 car ride, but in a different direction), and is full of great food and shopping options.

For airports, it's a trade off. LAX is much further away, but is usually easier much cheaper, and has more flight options. It's far enough away that I wouldn't really Uber, I'd just rent a car. BUR is much closer and simpler, but typically flights are much more expensive, and much more restrictive in terms of the number of flight available--it's a much smaller airport. But an Uber from there is much more feasible. I'd try there first, sometimes you get lucky, but definitely comparison shop.

As others have mentioned, it really depends if you plan on doing other things. LA can be quite spread out, and while out pubilc transport is improving, there's still not a lot of infrastructure here in such a vast city. Personally, I'd get a car.

In terms of hotels, while I haven't stayed there myself, I've heard good things about The Garland (which was founded by the actress Beverly Garland). It has a shuttle to USH (and also stops by a Metro Station, if you wanted to take that for other LA locations!) that leaves every hour. It's restaurant, The Front Yard, is surprisingly nice and sometimes a locals hang out. And there's a nearby shopping plaza with a Ralphs, Starbucks, and Rite Aid about 2 blocks away.

Reactions: Jake S and GA-MBIT
Burbank is worth less hassle, though you can look up the Flyaway and use the Flyaway bus and travel into the Valley or Central LA and rent a car around there if that works for you

As for Hotels the two walkable from USH are 300+ a night, if that is no issue then both are great hotels.

Also note if you plan on going to Disneyland, Knotts or six flags all are about 40 mins to 2 hours depending on traffic

I have a few hotels I enjoy-

Universal City Hilton (nice, walking distance to the park)

The W Hollywood- area is kinda run down, but I still love classic Hollywood with the Chinese Theater etc. 5 min Uber from the park and has a nice rooftop bar and restaurant

Hollywood Roosevelt- not on the cost saving side, but a spectacular hotel with tons of Hollywood history. Also a short Uber to the park

Reactions: GA-MBIT