USO/IOA secrets | Inside Universal Forums

USO/IOA secrets

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 20, 2010
New York, NY
Ok, so what I'm trying to do is compile a list of all the hidden secrets at USO/IOA. Now I don't know many so what I'm asking is for anyone who knows one or more to send me a message with them so I can post them in only one post on the thread. I would also like to ask you that if it is something that tells you to do someting, please put what you need to do in black and what happens afterward in white with the words (Highlight to read:) in front of the effect so that way if someone doesn't want to know what it does they won't be able to see it( I.e. the Spiderman one I posted). Sorry if I'm confuseing if I am just post it and I'll try to explain better.

USO

Lombard's Seafood Grille
-Lombard's Seafood Grille is modeled after Lombard's Landing, the warehouse building of the marine biologist, Louis Lombard. The original building was one of the few on the waterfront left standing after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Mel's Drive-In
- Mel's Drive In is modeled after the film "American Graffiti."

Blue Man Group Theater
-The only part of Nickelodeon Studios still visible from the public eye is the orange hand railings on the second floor of the building that you can see from the front of the building.

HRRR
-Some of the sample songs on the queue posters have the names of some of the Uni creative team...Gundacker, Alfieri, etc.

:krusty:The Simpsons Ride:homer:
- In the preshow video, Doc Brown and the Delorean make a cameo.
-Maggie putting you in her mouth is a tribute to the T-Rex scene from the original BTTF ride.
-When you're being dragged through Springfield, the near-miss with Otto's schoolbus is meant to be a homage to the near-miss with the truck in 2015 in BTTF The Ride.
- During the ride there is a billboard which says "Send Money to Universal Studios"

ROTM:mummy:
-There is a tribute to Kongfrontation, the attraction that Mummy replaced. When you get to the treasure room, look to the left and you will see a large golden cabinet. A little higher, resting on the mantle of the cabinet, is a 1 1/2 ft tall golden statue of King Kong.:kingkong:
- The track from Kongfrontation is still attached to the ceiling and is visible in several parts of Revenge of the Mummy
- Many of the Egyptian hieroglyphics decorating the walls throughout Revenge of the Mummy spell out real words and warnings to visitors.

Twister!
Following the 9/11 terror attacks on September 11, 2001, the address number of a firehouse facade in the attraction's extended queue had to be altered from "9-1-1" to "2-9-1"

Misc. New York
- New York - one of the facades of a condo building is from the show THe HUxtible (Bill Cosby)

Jaws
-The fishing boat used as a prop outside of Brody's house is labeled as being from Gloucester, MA, the same city from which The Perfect Storm's Andrea Gail boat was based.

Men in Black:Alien Attack:mib:
- Steven Spielberg and Frank the Pug are hidden on the ride. For Where to find Spielberg Highlight: He is sitting on a bench, reading a newspaper. Shooting at his hat reveals that he's merely an alien in disguise (the newspaper contains an article about Jurassic Park 3).
-The front façade of Men In Black: Alien Attack was inspired by "retro-futuristic" architecture, including the St. Louis Arch, a portion of Dodgers Stadium, and the towers at the site of the 1964 World's Fair in Queens, New York. In the original Men in Black movie, it was revealed that monumental architect was actually a way to hide alien spacecraft.

E.T. Adventure
-E.T. Adventure was designed in part by Steven Spielberg, the film’s director, as a pseudo-sequel to the movie.
-In the store you go thru upon exiting the ride there is a great phot op that most people pass without seeing.

Shrek 4-D
The precisely-trimmed landscaping around Shrek 4-D mirrors the perfect tress and shrubbery found in Lord Farquaad's kingdom of Duloc.

Misc. Kidz zone
-The building between Woody Woodpecker and Curious George is the original Hard Rock Cafe Orlando. A parking lot stood where what is now CityWalk.

IOA

Port Of Entry
-The lighthouse at the entrance of Islands of Adventure is inspired by the Pharos lighthouse, one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- the bridges croak as you walk under them
-If you look to the left of Confisco's, you'll see a sign for the Navigator's Club. If you travel up there, you'll find a lounge and a patio. You'll also find a door to the top of the bridge where AWESOME panoramic shots have been taken, but I'll let you find that one.

Misc. Suess Landing:hat:
At McElliots Pool throw some change in the fishes mouth (Highlight to read): And they will squirt water at you
- Guests can walk right up to the Once-Ler's house - between Caro-Seuss-el and Circus McGurkus and hear (Highlight to read): the story of The Lorax from the Once-Ler over his whisper-ma-phone.
-Down on the Zax Bypass, you can find some awesome photo opportunities and panoramic shots of the islands.
-Behind One Fish Two Fish, the first two years of Grinchmas consisted of a snowy playground and a chance to slide down Mt. Crumpit.
- if you take the bypass (behind Green Eggs and Ham) you can find Sneetch Beach
- Keeping true to images in the original Dr. Seuss drawings, finding right angles or straight lines in Seuss Landing's architecture is almost impossible. Steel was bent and altered to create the "Seuss-like" curves and shapes that make up this very unique land.

Me Ship The Olive
-find the piano and play the sheet music.
- Behind The Ship Me Olive is some trails that not many people know about

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls

Misc. Toon Lagoon
-The dotted lines around King's Row belong to little Billy from "The Family Circus," who seems to have escaped from his own comic strip. Cartoonist Bil Keane often used the dotted lines to show his characters' paths through the neighborhood or house.

Mythos
-Behind Mythos you can hear a troll under the bridge

The Late Dueling Dragons (Future Dragon Challenge)
-The length of the Ice Dragon track and the Fire Dragon track (The future Hungarian Hortail track and Chinese Fireball track) of Dueling Dragons combined equal 6,226 feet. Stretched out, this would be equivalent to the height of four and a half Empire State Buildings.
-Dueling Dragons' track was built with sand in the track to make it quieter due to the fact that there's a neighborhood and school directly behind it.

Dr. Doom
- all over the ground are The Fantastic 4's outlines like they fell from the ride.
-To the left of Dr. Doom (in Doom Alley), if you look at the middle of one of the buildings, you'll find the head of Venom, one of Spiderman's enemies.

Hulk:hulk:
-On Hulk, there used to be a prop tank in the back section that you spiraled around. The tank is now used at the entrance of Disaster in USF.

Spiderman:spidey:
-On the ride you'll see a marquee with a number on it.Call the number (w/the Orlando area code for a fun surprise.
Highlight to read:When you call the number you will hear someone saying that they are closed until Doc. Ock and his friends stop or until Spiderman saves the day

Misc. Marvel Super Hero Island
-A special paint called Chrome-Illusion is used on the buildings in Marvel Super Hero Island to produce different colors depending on the angle viewed and position of the light. Thus, the island actually changes color as the sun passes overhead.
-Most of the cutouts have a hidden letter on them, and if you jot them all down, unscramble them, you get the name of the artist.

JPRA
- the store at the exit sells crickets and meal worms you can eat.
- the T-Rex actually burps as the rafts breech the top of the drop
-The tracks on the ride that look like they lead no where actually lead to boat storage, the tracks are not fake.

Camp Jurrasic
-If you stand on the rope bridge in the cave of CJ, you will get soaked. Just stand there for 20 seconds or so.
-The dinosaur footprints roar if you stand on them

Misc. Jurrasic Park
-Nearly 4,000 trees and 65,000 shrubs and bushes decorate the landscape.
-The speakers in Jurassic Park are hidden in metal towers that are refrence to the novel, where there are thousands of them around the island with cameras and sensors so they can track the dinosaurs movements.
-There is a sensor in the amber mines that make the loud sound of bats flying out if you stand close to it.
-If you travel down by the new bridge, you can see the remnants of Skipper Island Tours (JP station).
-In the Discovery Center there is a shaving cream can like in the movie

Misc. Wizarding World
-The snitch that is missing from the Quidditch balls case that can be found all over the resort.
- In the bathrooms, listen closely to hear the voice of Moaning Myrtle.
- Look up in the rafters of the 3 Broomsticks to see shadows.
Contributing users: TSSD, jmercer25, Tbad556, Thrteen13, HulkSmash, Dr. Emmett Brown, BBPH, Rock'nRoller, Mantaguy, Universal Orlando's Facebook

Last edited:
In Me Ship The Olive, find the piano and play the sheet music.

On Revenge of the Mummy, there is a tribute to Kongfrontation, the attraction that Mummy replaced. When you get to the treasure room, look to the left and you will see a large golden cabinet. A little higher, resting on the mantle of the cabinet, is a 1 1/2 ft tall golden statue of King Kong.

In the Port of Entry section, there are several little Easter eggs. One of the most popular is just to the right as you are walking into the park, beside the shell fountain. There are prison bars pried open, and bedsheets tied together draping down from the high window. Written in what looks like chalk, this escaped prisoner has written "SEE YA!" on the wall.

That's enough for now.

Reactions: TSSD
Revenge of the Mummy
- The track from Kongfrontation is still attached to the ceiling and is visible in several parts of Revenge of the Mummy
- Many of the Egyptian hieroglyphics decorating the walls throughout Revenge of the Mummy spell out real words and warnings to visitors.

Men in Black:Alien Attack
- Steven Spielberg and Frank the Pug are hidden on the ride.
-The front façade of Men In Black: Alien Attack was inspired by "retro-futuristic" architecture, including the St. Louis Arch, a portion of Dodgers Stadium, and the towers at the site of the 1964 World's Fair in Queens, New York. In the original Men in Black movie, it was revealed that monumental architect...ure was actually a way to hide alien spacecraft.

I'll post more later on but thought I would give you a couple to start. If you want more park secrets, you should become a fan of "Universal Orlando Resort" on Facebook. They post secrets quite often, as a matter of fact, my 2nd RotM and MiB secrets are both from their Facebook page!

IOA Hidden Secrets

1. Port of Entry - the bridges croak as you walk under them
2. Dr. Doom all over the ground are people's outlines like they fell from the ride.
3. Lost Continent - Behind MYthos you can hear a troll under the bridge
4. Popeye - Behind The Ship Me oLive is some trails that not many people know about
5. Suess Land - McElliots Pool in Suess Land throw some change in the fishes mouth...
6. Jurassic Park - the store at the exit sells crickets and meal worms you can eat.
7. Jurassic Park - the T-Rex actually burps as the rafts breech the top of the drop
8. Jurassic Park - Discovery Center there is a shaving cream can like in the movie

I've got a couple more:

The Simpsons Ride
- In the preshow video, Doc Brown and the Delorean make a cameo.
- During the ride there is a billboard which says "Send Money to Universal Studios"

Mel's Drive-In
- Mel's Drive In is modeled after the film "American Graffiti."

Seuss Landing
- Guests can walk right up to the Once-Ler's house - between Caro-Seuss-el and Circus McGurkus - and hear the story of The Lorax from the Once-Ler over his whisper-ma-phone.

Lighthouse
-The lighthouse at the entrance of Islands of Adventure is inspired by the Pharos lighthouse

Also, for Dr. Doom, the outlines of people are the Fantastic 4.

Thanks guys! And PLEASE PLEASE KEEP ON GIVING ME MORE! Im going in July so I'll try to find more then, but right now the only ones I know are the ones you guys are telling me. And PLEASE once WWOHP is out submit the part that says what happens for any secrets for it in white so i'll be surprised. I know this sounds sort of ridiculous but I would love it. Or else this will be you and me:
:saber:

Oh and BTW Thrteen13 could you lease put what happens when you put the coins in in white after.

Last edited:
The speakers in Jurassic Park are hidden in metal towers that are refrence to the novel, where there are thousands of them around the island with cameras and sensors so they can track the dinosaurs movements.

Ones i can remember:
On JPRA the tracks on the ride that look like they lead no where actually lead to boat storage, the tracks are not fake.
If you throw money in the mouth of the fish in the pond in suess landing they spray out water.
The dinosaur footprint in camp jurassic roar if you stnd on them.

Thats it for if i remember anymore ill post them :)

MSHI:
-To the left of Dr. Doom (in Doom Alley), if you look at the middle of one of the buildings, you'll find the head of Venom, one of Spiderman's enemies.
-A VERY LONG time ago, down by the lagoon, there was an "attraction" called the Hulk Theater. It used to be on the map.
-Storm Force Accelletron was added in 2000, the year after the park opened.
-Most of the cutouts have a hidden letter on them, and if you jot them all down, unscramble them, you get the name of the artist.
-On Hulk, there used to be a prop tank in the back section that you spiraled around. The tank is now used at the entrance of Disaster in USF.
-On Hulk, the track was made more hollow than the average B&M track to give it the "roaring" effect.

TL:
-The Toon Lagoon Theater has hosted many shows, including Bill and Ted (HHN), a live show on NBC (can't recall the name), a BMX show sponsored by a famous BMX-er (can't recall the name, and many others.

JP:
-If you stand on the rope bridge in the cave of CJ, you will get soaked. Just stand there for 20 seconds or so.
-There is a sensor in the amber mines that make the loud sound of bats flying out if you stand close to it.
-If you travel down by the new bridge, you can see the remnants of Skipper Island Tours (JP station).

LC:
-Dueling Dragons' track was built with sand in the track to make it quieter due to the fact that there's a neighborhood and school directly behind it.
-Flying Unicorn was added the same year that Storm Force Accelletron was in IOA's Phase II expansion.

SL:
-Down on the Zax Bypass, you can find some awesome photo opportunities and panoramic shots of the islands.
-Behind One Fish Two Fish, the first two years of Grinchmas consisted of a snowy playground and a chance to slide down Mt. Crumpit. It was much better than today's Grinchmas, IMO.

POE:
-If you look to the left of Confisco's, you'll see a sign for the Navigator's Club. If you travel up there, you'll find a lounge and a patio. You'll also find a door to the top of the bridge where AWESOME panoramic shots have been taken, but I'll let you find that one.

USF!!
Jaws:
-The original ride opened in 1992, closed the year after, and reopened a few years later with the current version we have now.

Simpsons:
-Not only does Doc Brown have a cameo in the queue video, but on the ride, the city hall (right before Maggie puts you in her mouth) is based off of the one from BTTF.
-Maggie putting you in her mouth is a tribute to the T-Rex scene from the original BTTF ride.
-The only Institute of Technology left currently resides in Japan.

Kidz Zone:
-Before the KZ area was erected, the house from the movie "Psycho" stood in its place for photo opportunities.
-The building between Woody Woodpecker and Curious George is the original Hard Rock Cafe Orlando. A parking lot stood where what is now CityWalk.

Shrek:
-Before Shrek was Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies. The attraction consisted of several rooms, each with a different movie theme and each with a different experience.

Neutron:
-Before Neutron was Hannah Barbara. Instead of Nicktoons, you experienced HB cartoons such as, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, etc.

Blue Man Group:
-In front of the building stood the slime tower for Nickelodeon Studios.
-The only part of Nickelodeon Studios still visible from the public eye is the orange hand railings on the second floor of the building that you can see from the front of the building.

I guess that's all the facts I can grace you guys with today. :lol:

Last edited:
Twister: Ride It Out
Following the 9/11 terror attacks on September 11, 2001, the address number of a firehouse facade in the attraction's extended queue had to be altered from "9-1-1" to "2-9-1"

Heres some Jaws facts (I looked them up, and some of this I know).

From 1990 (the first version) which closed in the late year to be completly redone and open in 1994' (the version today) there where some changes:

- The tour boats originally featured curved canopies, but for unknown reasons, were outfitted with flat canopies. The curved canopies can still be seen in the queue video, which was filmed just prior to the attraction's opening in 1990.
- Since the attraction first opened in 1990, the skipper uniform of a powder blue t-shirt, denim jeans and white shoes has remained relatively unchanged. The skippers originally wore a white "captain's hat" and a white webbed belt as part of their uniform, but they are now not required to wear hats of any kind and wear a blue webbed belt instead of white (although the queue video does still show skippers wearing the white belts and captain's hats). Optional blue denim "bucket hats" and black cold weather "skull caps" are occasionally worn by some skippers, however.
- The tall wooden building off of the starboard side of the tour boats near the beginning of the ride was originally the boat shack owned by Quint the fisherman, and featured a replica of his fishing boat, the Orca, tied up outside it. The voice of Quint could even be heard from inside the shack as the tour boats sailed past, despite his death in the first film. This building was renamed "Steven's Canery" following the attraction's first closure, and the Orca boat along with the audio track of Quint's voice were removed.
- After the boats exited the boathouse, JAWS would pop up out of the water, bite down onto the tour boat and drag it through the water turning it counter-clockwise by ninety degress before losing his grip. This scene was replaced by the gas dock explosion scene that is seen today.
- For the ride's finale, JAWS would appear one final time and the skipper would shoot a grenade into its mouth causing the shark to explode into bits and pieces, complete with blood gushing out of the water. This scene was replaced with the high voltage barge finale that is seen today.

Other fun facts:

- Over 20 "business façades" can be seen throughout Amity Island.
- As of March 12, 2008, the fishing boat used as a prop outside of Brody's house is labeled as being from Gloucester, MA, the same city from which The Perfect Storm's Andrea Gail boat was based.

By the way, if you what facts, I'll get the facts!!! :p

Last edited:
Heres some Jaws facts (I looked them up, and some of this I know).
- After the boats exited the boathouse, JAWS would pop up out of the water, bite down onto the tour boat and drag it through the water turning it counter-clockwise by ninety degress before losing his grip. This scene was replaced by the gas dock explosion scene that is seen today.
:p

Interesting fact, check out the gas price on the pump at the gas dock explosion scene. It still reads something like $1.15 a gallon. Wish I could fill up there before driving back home after my next Unviersal trip!

There's one more BTTF tribute on The Simpsons. When you're being dragged through Springfield, the near-miss with Otto's schoolbus is meant to be a homage to the near-miss with the truck in 2015 in BTTF The Ride.

When you are boarding the Hulk, just after the previous train launches, if you listen carefully (can hear best in row 1), there is a warning coming from inside the lauch tube. "Warning, accelorator tube, contaminated." This is your final warning before sujecting yourself to the experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmaff