VFX President Victoria Alonso exits Marvel Studios | Inside Universal Forums

VFX President Victoria Alonso exits Marvel Studios

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Big move at Marvel. She’s been an Exec with them since 2006, but more recently had become president of VFX & Animation. I’m assuming she’s taking the heat for the poor reception of recent VFX in Marvel films.

Big move at Marvel. She’s been an Exec with them since 2006, but more recently had become president of VFX & Animation. I’m assuming she’s taking the heat for the poor reception of recent VFX in Marvel films.

There is a lot too it that warrants a proper thread, but Victoria Alfonso stems to a larger issue that comes in due to the treatment of VFX workers who were in Marvel Studios; and that she was responsible for a lot of the toxic work ethics and processes.

Chris Lee, one of the major contributors to investigating the Marvel Studios VFX issues; has gone more properly into the matter.

It also sounds like Iger is not done cleaning house either. The Watcher, a particular source broker for Marvel; has suggested prior that Lucasfilm is next in the cleaning up that has been going on throughout the past few months.

There is a lot too it that warrants a proper thread, but Victoria Alfonso stems to a larger issue that comes in due to the treatment of VFX workers who were in Marvel Studios; and that she was responsible for a lot of the toxic work ethics and processes.

Chris Lee, one of the major contributors to investigating the Marvel Studios VFX issues; has gone more properly into the matter.

It also sounds like Iger is not done cleaning house either. The Watcher, a particular source broker for Marvel; has suggested prior that Lucasfilm is next in the cleaning up that has been going on throughout the past few months.

I heard this but didn’t want to post it since I didn’t know how legit he was of an insider.

As for LucasFilm, I wouldn’t be surprised at an announcement that at the end of the Summer, Lucasfilm will be “transitioning their leadership from Kathleen Kennedy to (insert name here)”. I say at the end of the Summer because then that allows her to make her get a send off with what will likely be a popular Indiana Jones 5 and it’s not so jarring of a change either if you announce her replacement in advance of leaving.

Reactions: SeventyOne
When looking at the current slate with Marvel (And Disney as a whole--Jon Kasdan talked a bit about this with Willow still going to get a S2 but for reasons I'll explain); a lot of TV projects are now beginning to get delays and shifts in release windows. We've been hearing about it and seeing it with quite a bit, as noted with season windows for various Marvel Studios/Lucasfilm projects getting their windows revoked. This includes Loki, Secret Invasion, Agatha, and Ironheart; among a ton of others.

I also think part of this lies to Iger's desire to push back the time windows to allow VFX groups to have more time to make the product that would sell. And if Victoria Alfonso (who additionally has been reported to be having issues with the changes before departing on Friday); that it makes sense that she would be affected by Iger's "Cleaning" of the house as we have seen with the various other groups throughout TWDC. Regardless of Film, TV, or even Theme Parks with the bringing back of individuals like Bruce Vaughn (which that in and of itself speaks a bit).

I also think Lucasfilm really depends on what Iger and his team are finding in the Cleaning. If they determine Kathleen needs to go, I imagine it'll be a sooner announcement than some may think. And as much as I know that curates a vaccum, I unironically think a solution if they can't find a successor to Kathleen is in front of their face; and it's surprisingly 20th Century.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nick
It could be one person

look at Star Wars, the sequels literally let the last Jedi happen because one person wanted to make the film
Look at Star Wars now mandalorian and bad batch have more then one person working on it but the outline came from Dave or John

so hopefully it’s true that that is one person was holding back the MCU in a way.

but I see s ton of examples of one person making the difference look at James Gunn with peace maker for DC abs the guardians for MCU. Without James neither one of those great movies/show would exist

When looking at the current slate with Marvel (And Disney as a whole--Jon Kasdan talked a bit about this with Willow still going to get a S2 but for reasons I'll explain); a lot of TV projects are now beginning to get delays and shifts in release windows. We've been hearing about it and seeing it with quite a bit, as noted with season windows for various Marvel Studios/Lucasfilm projects getting their windows revoked. This includes Loki, Secret Invasion, Agatha, and Ironheart; among a ton of others.

I also think part of this lies to Iger's desire to push back the time windows to allow VFX groups to have more time to make the product that would sell. And if Victoria Alfonso (who additionally has been reported to be having issues with the changes before departing on Friday); that it makes sense that she would be affected by Iger's "Cleaning" of the house as we have seen with the various other groups throughout TWDC. Regardless of Film, TV, or even Theme Parks with the bringing back of individuals like Bruce Vaughn (which that in and of itself speaks a bit).

I also think Lucasfilm really depends on what Iger and his team are finding in the Cleaning. If they determine Kathleen needs to go, I imagine it'll be a sooner announcement than some may think. And as much as I know that curates a vaccum, I unironically think a solution if they can't find a successor to Kathleen is in front of their face; and it's surprisingly 20th Century.
I mean.....didn't Lucas literally pick the man he wanted to take over SW? I know Dave F isn't perfect but I doubt the sequels would have been near as bad with him leading the where the story goes

First this and now the arrest of Jonathan Majors for attacking his girlfriend... It's like a Disney curse or something. Jesus. Just bad news.
What's gonna happen with marvel?

Majors is done, but Ezra is still walking so who knows.

The MCU has been losing me and there’s rumors his behaviors have been known for sometime. How do you not vet the next Thanos for your franchise? Pretty out on these superhero movies lately in a major way, plus there is so many films in 2023 I can see myself taking a year or two off of these movies.

Hope the victims are okay and are able to find peace.

Reactions: Nico
Yeah not sure what Marvel is going to do here since Kang is highly interwoven to upcoming projects both on Disney+ (he's in three episodes of Loki) and in movies. They pretty much have no choice but to recast the character at this point. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise for them that so few people saw Quantumania.

He’s only been in two projects and can be recasted easily. Hasn’t been the first time (Terrance and Edward being replaced by Don and Mark); shouldn’t be an issue. But it is a damning moment more than anything, especially considering what they planned for him.

Either way, Aldis Hodge is right there atleast.

He’s only been in two projects and can be recasted easily. Hasn’t been the first time (Terrance and Edward being replaced by Don and Mark); shouldn’t be an issue. But it is a damning moment more than anything, especially considering what they planned for him.

Either way, Aldis Hodge is right there atleast.
Yeah, he’s replaceable. Tbh, it’s kinda surprising that in 15 years of the MCU, this is the first time something out of their control like this has happened with one of their actors.

The amount of Loki that will have to be reshot is insane just thinking about. Kang was in the Loki trailer was he not?

Yeah, he’s replaceable. Tbh, it’s kinda surprising that in 15 years of the MCU, this is the first time something out of their control like this has happened with one of their actors.

The amount of Loki that will have to be reshot is insane just thinking about. Kang was in the Loki trailer was he not?
If memory serves, I think he’s only in two episodes for S2.

Yeah, sorry if anything came off insensitive. Hope the victim and any potential prior victims are okay.