Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brightline Station Coming to Orlando

Jun 20, 2010
South Florida
Walt Disney World Might Be A New Stop for Brightline/Virgin High Speed Rail System - WDW News Today

Brightline high-speed train line looks for I-4 corridor land | Miami Herald

Now that the initial Brightline plans have finally been realized, it looks like they are looking to expand even further. As of now, they have stations in West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Additionally, the station at Orlando International Airport is already under construction. Now it looks like they want to continue service to Tampa with a stop at Walt Disney World and possibly other stops along I-4. It should be noted that Virgin Group, backed by Richard Branson, just became a minority owner. They also just filed with the SEC for an IPO so it seems they are going all in.

I took the Brightline for the first time last week from West Palm Beach to Miami for a Miami Heat game. I was thoroughly impressed with everything from the stations to the trains to the customer service. However, I have to wonder if people would be willing to pay per person to travel from South Florida up to Orlando instead of the family just traveling together in a family owned vehicle. Also, where in the world would you put a station at WDW??

Wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread.

With the amount of traffic on the turnpike these days. It may actually be something I’d consider. I would imagine the station would be just outside Disney world, with some sort of shuttle bus available.

Agreed. I would probably take a train over the Magical Express but there would have to be a way to get from a Brightline station to our actual resort. Maybe Disney would have buses running from the station. Or the train may not pass frequently enough to really act as a substitute for the ME.

With the amount of traffic on the turnpike these days. It may actually be something I’d consider. I would imagine the station would be just outside Disney world, with some sort of shuttle bus available.

I used to be able to get to Disney/Universal in about 2 hours and 15 minutes without stopping. When we went back in October for the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot it took us over 3 hours to get there...I would definitely at least give this a try. Plus they serve alcohol and snacks on board as well as in the stations :cheers:

I used to be able to get to Disney/Universal in about 2 hours and 15 minutes without stopping. When we went back in October for the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot it took us over 3 hours to get there...I would definitely at least give this a try. Plus they serve alcohol and snacks on board as well as in the stations :cheers:

we have family in orlando, and the last 4 times we've driven up or down, we hit insane traffic. Even on non-holiday weekends. It's becoming faster to go out East on "528?" to 95 rather than driving straight north/south. Crazy.

Like in the past, I'm sure that if they want to build on Disney property that Disney will stipulate no other stops in Orlando.

I'm still hoping for some kind of partnership between Disney and Universal. As the resorts grow bigger, there will be less people doing both resorts and giving their guests the ability to easily do a day or two at the other resort might be a better option than no days at all.

Where this will fall apart is if they did build a line between MCO and Unviersal and WDW, where does the train stop first?

Like in the past, I'm sure that if they want to build on Disney property that Disney will stipulate no other stops in Orlando.
Brightline is thinking about building a station just off Disney property, that way Disney can’t say anything and neither can Universal.

I don't know...Disney Magical Express and Magic Bands were all designed to make people only go to Disney. In the past when rail lines were proposed Disney has said they wouldn't allow it on property if it stopped at Universal or the Convention Center.

The only way I see it working is that Disney don’t want to be left out or they don’t want to foot the bill or they can make money from it.

The Magical Express works well for what they need and it traps people inside the bubble.

I guess it comes down to how the public perceive what is a better option for them. Bus or train.

If a bright line station does get built. I doubt Disney will provide transportation to the parks/hotel It will likely be 3rd party or ride share services. Like it is currently in south Florida.

It’s possible, but it would need to be a pretty big succucess before Disney would comit to more vehicles on the road

Disney could find a way to still keep you in the bubble. Have Brightline charge for the ride (duh) but disney pays one way to disney and back to MCO. Also make it one way.
So now if you want to go to universal, you’d have to go all the way back to MCO, then universal. And if you wanted to go back to disney, it’s gonna cost you $20/person each way or whatever.

It’s possible. Honestly, the main draw against it for DIS is the fact getting to universal isn’t nearly as smooth. Why help bridge that gap? Say what you will about Magical express, but people are amazed at the luggage delivery. Nothing new for anyone who has been to Japan, but we’re talking about WDW guests here...

Would love to see this happen. But Florida's history with trains is just a mess.

It would be quite exciting if Uni (and the convention center) ends up partnering with them if Disney is so against it.

Would love to see this happen. But Florida's history with trains is just a mess.

It would be quite exciting if Uni (and the convention center) ends up partnering with them if Disney is so against it.

Well Brightline, or Virgin Trains USA, is more than likely making its way from South Florida to Orlando International Airport. They still have to clear a few hurdles, but the new station at the airport is already under construction and should be completed by 2020.

Additionally, Martin County just reached a settlement agreement that will allow Brightline to roll through there and build another station along the Treasure Coast (includes Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River Counties). Now they just have to settle the lawsuit raised by Indian River County to continue it's trek North. Indian River County actually just rejected Brightline's settlement and even approved more funding to fight it in court. Probably just a waste of time and money but only time will tell.

What happens with Disney and/or Univeral will really make the Orlando to Tampa expansion interesting.

Well Brightline, or Virgin Trains USA, is more than likely making its way from South Florida to Orlando International Airport. They still have to clear a few hurdles, but the new station at the airport is already under construction and should be completed by 2020.

Additionally, Martin County just reached a settlement agreement that will allow Brightline to roll through there and build another station along the Treasure Coast (includes Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River Counties). Now they just have to settle the lawsuit raised by Indian River County to continue it's trek North. Indian River County actually just rejected Brightline's settlement and even approved more funding to fight it in court. Probably just a waste of time and money but only time will tell.

What happens with Disney and/or Univeral will really make the Orlando to Tampa expansion interesting.
They just released their proposed alignments. None of the options include anything close to I-Drive. Both follow SunRail and it’s proposed phase 3 out of the airport until 417. The below image describes the rest through the WDW area.

72946C74-B4A5-4C35-845A-FE65D07266E8.png

Personaly if it was set up correctly a line going from the airport to tampa via disney/universal would be a great idea. your never going to have a train that stops outside the gate of the magic kingdom, but still it would provide a fast efficient means of getting people there and back, what likely would happen if they will put a stop that is relatviely close to Universal and Disney but not on there land, that means theres two options when it opens, theres a big rush for taxis at the interchange or both companys provide there own service (likely a regular shuttle bus). still if it came to pass it would be a big boost for people getting to and from the propertys

lets hope they dont mess it up by it taking too long or expensive. but who wouldnt want to get off a train and board a monorail to disney or a themed bus (or even a larger hogwarts express esk funicular) to universal

A judge ruled in brightline's favor against Indian River County, clearing the way for construction to begin March 1st according to Brightline, and its a 30-36 month contract.

Currently 3 stops in Orlando are proposed, MCO (finalized), Meadow Woods Sunrail transfer station, and Disney near the laundry operations building from my understanding... its going the 417 route instead of 528 to entice Disney, no possibility of a Universal/I-Drive connection, from my understanding.