Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 322 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new drone update!

I gotta say, wow! When I was at UO in late July, the Volcano was only about half of its height that it is now, and I still thought it looked huge. I can only imagine what it looks like now! I'm super pumped to be going this June!

Last edited:
There is a lot of things you can take out of this.

One thing in particular, is purely how fast things are going.

It's just like Andy said, these past few weeks, along with the next few weeks after will be the big moments where everything comes together. Even if we don't get into play with this being completed (barely, completed mind you) until early may.

Quick screen grab from the 4K HD vid:

volcano1.jpg

Gives us a good view of the volcano innards. There are, per the rest of the video, a lot of pieces of rockwork that aren't installed in various piles around the site. The lift for the mats for the racer cluster got a red shroud - maybe they were falling off in high wind? The water coaster either has a pretty scary big drop in it or that' a lift hill - hard to tell, but the bottom suggests lift hill.

I wish/hope they plant-in the I-4 side of those two slide attractions and create a bit of mystery. Right now, it appears kind of W&W north... in short, UGLY! To my eyes at least.
I agree but I keep telling myself it is a billboard "Hey - Look over here! Waterpark!"

Quick screen grab from the 4K HD vid:

View attachment 3944

Gives us a good view of the volcano innards. There are, per the rest of the video, a lot of pieces of rockwork that aren't installed in various piles around the site. The lift for the mats for the racer cluster got a red shroud - maybe they were falling off in high wind? The water coaster either has a pretty scary big drop in it or that' a lift hill - hard to tell, but the bottom suggests lift hill.

If this is the bit you mean, it's a lift hill.

wc vb.JPG

Reactions: Joel and Dan B
I'm starting to think the lower back side of the Volcano won't be covered like in some of the concept renderings, it looks like the existing rock work on the edges wraps around to the inside of the mountain. If they were to continue closing in the bottom, I'd think they would have a gap between the inside and outside chips to let some of the structural steel meet.

I'm starting to think the lower back side of the Volcano won't be covered like in some of the concept renderings, it looks like the existing rock work on the edges wraps around to the inside of the mountain. If they were to continue closing in the bottom, I'd think they would have a gap between the inside and outside chips to let some of the structural steel meet.
With the footers in place and the steel sticking out of the sides I think it will be closed off on the sides. Before or after opening is the question for me

Last edited:
Reactions: mratigan
I think the open volcano concept is a cop out but maybe it was designed that way for ventilation. If it were inclosed, you know how hot it'll get in there with no AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel
I think the open volcano concept is a cop out but maybe it was designed that way for ventilation. If it were enclosed, you know how out it'll get in there with no AC.
You are soaking wet presumably and often there is a breeze above ground level. I don't think the heat will be an issue but climbing all those stairs to get to the tallest slide in the US might be

Are they going to need to put the scaffolding back up for the back side pieces?

I don't think it's possible they will leave it like that, it would ruin the theming if you can see the entire volcano open from the back.

Are they going to need to put the scaffolding back up for the back side pieces?

I don't think it's possible they will leave it like that, it would ruin the theming if you can see the entire volcano open from the back.
No, that's been the plan all along. The back will be open so you can see the slides. Of course from ground level you wont see much of it because everything else is in the way.

No, that's been the plan all along. The back will be open so you can see the slides. Of course from ground level you wont see much of it because everything else is in the way.

That, would make some logistical sense. It would show to people on the I-Drive, along with the Mountain at night; that there are multiple high end and exciting waterslides for those driving from Disney to I-Drive via the I-4.

While I am not happy with the turnout of the Volcano to some degree, I do believe that with all intensive purposes that they are wanting to get people to notice them as a somewhat icon of the resort. Much like how the Lighthouse and the Globe are for the respected parks.

Well if that's the case - this is really where Universal and Disney start to show their differences. The volcano, from this angle, looks more like a shell covering than it does a rock formation with intertwining slides. While we can make excuses for Universal intentionally doing this so the folks on I4 know it's a water park (like the other slides don't give that away), they at least could of sculpted rock work under the Manta Mat Slides and up into the volcano to give it more of that "blown out look" as @Disneyhead said.

The thing that really gives it away is the purple support tree that you can clearly see inside of the Volcano - looks incomplete. Now imagine floating down the action river, looking up, and seeing all that.

This comes across as, once again, Universal wanting a Disney caliber product but trying to make it happen on a Universal Orlando budget. As a guy that's good friends with a lot of people who worked on this project, I'll be the first to say that it looks like a total eyesore from the south... and we're only weeks away from project completion. Either make it a park like Aquatica, that shows its bones and accents everything in it with lush landscaping, or go all the way and finish the story you're trying to create. You can't half ass these things - it just doesn't work out... see Chinese knockoff parks as my reference. Color me unimpressed.

Well if that's the case - this is really where Universal and Disney start to show their differences. The volcano, from this angle, looks more like a shell covering than it does a rock formation with intertwining slides. While we can make excuses for Universal intentionally doing this so the folks on I4 know it's a water park (like the other slides don't give that away), they at least could of sculpted rock work under the Manta Mat Slides and up into the volcano to give it more of that "blown out look" as @Disneyhead said.

The thing that really gives it away is the purple support tree that you can clearly see inside of the Volcano - looks incomplete. Now imagine floating down the action river, looking up, and seeing all that.

This comes across as, once again, Universal wanting a Disney caliber product but trying to make it happen on a Universal Orlando budget. As a guy that's good friends with a lot of people who worked on this project, I'll be the first to say that it looks like a total eyesore from the south... and we're only weeks away from project completion. Either make it a park like Aquatica, that shows its bones and accents everything in it with lush landscaping, or go all the way and finish the story you're trying to create. You can't half ass these things - it just doesn't work out... see Chinese knockoff parks as my reference. Color me unimpressed.
It won't be half-assed.

Status
Not open for further replies.