Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, while creating info pages on my website for Volcano Bay, it occurred to me that maybe one of the reasons Universal can call this a water theme park, is that it actually has themed lands.

Other than names for their kids' areas, Aquatica, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and certainly Wet 'n Wild do/did not have separately named areas. (Blizzard Beach comes close with the color names of the different slopes.)

Whereas VB has 4 distinct "lands" if you will. Now, they're all somewhat similarly named and offer much of the same stuff, but they all have their own story and some style differences. And it does make it easier to find the restaurant or attraction you're looking for if you know what section of the park it's in.

The Volcano has the slides in/around the volcano, so that's an easy land to remember.

Wave Village has the wave pool, Waturi Beach and The Reef, so Wave Village seems an appropriate name.

River Village has, well, rivers, but also both of the main kids areas and some multi person slides.

Rainforest Village has a lot of the action-packed stuff: Fearless River, Taniwha Tubes, and Maku/Puihi, the more intense family raft rides.

Looking at the concept art and videos more closely, they each have definable areas with their own paths and stylistic differences. It's not as well differentiated as IOA or MK's lands, but they are different lands, and that does set it apart from other water parks.

Just something I've been thinking about.

But remember that location/setting is not theme. Theme is a bigger statement being made that the choice of locale is a tool to express. "Water is life." Seems to be the big overall theme and then the backstory of the waturi people and their relationship to it is the device used to express the concept.

See that is simply an opinion and has become a talking point in a portion of the community. A lot of it based on factually incorrect or partial information. Kong is in fact a much larger attraction than was originally planned. It was plused in a MAJOR way with no one holding their feet to the fire but themselves.
:thumbsup:....And, as always I trust Disneyhead's info and opinion. He generally bases it on hard facts he's received from primary sources and not the innuendo many quasi-insiders spout to make themselves appear to have real sources rather than down the line word of mouth minor players they are relying on for info.

But remember that location/setting is not theme. Theme is a bigger statement being made that the choice of locale is a tool to express. "Water is life." Seems to be the big overall theme and then the backstory of the waturi people and their relationship to it is the device used to express the concept.
I like that the bars are boats that are permanently beached. The Kunuku Boat Bar is themed to look like a beached outrigger canoe with the sails of a Chinese junk rig and is named after the mythical fish that guided the Waturi islanders to Volcano Bay.

Just a simple refreshment stand, and it has a style and backstory, good enough for me on the theme-o-meter.

KunukuBoatBarconceptart.jpg

I like that the bars are boats that are permanently beached. The Kunuku Boat Bar is themed to look like a "Chinese junk rig" and is named after the mythical fish that guided the Waturi islanders to Volcano Bay.

Just a simple refreshment stand, and it has a style and backstory, good enough for me on the theme-o-meter.

KunukuBoatBarconceptart.jpg
"Theme-o meter" Love that term
Theme-o-Meter

Gringott's Queue: 10
Kong Queue; 10
FJ Queue; 10
POC Queue: 9
Twilight Zone Queue: 10
Star Tours 2 Queue; 9
Jurassic River Adventure Queue; 6
Soarin Queue: 4
Spider Man Queue; 8
Despicable Me Queue: 8
Splash Mountain Queue: 7

This is again another prime example of waiting until the project is done to make an opinion. My expectations have lowered recently for VB, but this gives me hope that it exceeds the Aquatica 2.0 projection that has been thrown around on here. With being a fan of this industry, you expect more than the general public. I think both sides can agree though that a successful/unsuccessful project will also be determined on whether or not it is worth our money at the end of the day.

See that is simply an opinion and has become a talking point in a portion of the community. A lot of it based on factually incorrect or partial information. Kong is in fact a much larger attraction than was originally planned. It was plused in a MAJOR way with no one holding their feet to the fire but themselves.

Looks like there is no fire beneath Krakatau. This Volcano is blown out. UC needs to hit harder next time around ( my own belief) ... Nintendo hopefully will be their redemption. I guess WWHP spoiled me too much. I knew it was too good to be true for UC to continue on that higher level of creativity.

Looks like there is no fire beneath Krakatau. This Volcano is blown out. UC needs to hit harder next time around ( my own belief) ... Nintendo hopefully will be their redemption. I guess WWHP spoiled me too much. I knew it was too good to be true for UC to continue on that higher level of creativity.
I don't understand how people can make these statements when there is still A TON of work to be done. :bang:

I think the security screenings are as much about keeping out alcohol as anything. So many people try to bring their own booze...
I met up with some friends from out of town a couple weeks ago at the parks and they pulled out little plastic bottles of booze in the middle of the day. I asked how they got it in. Strapped to her bra. Like a pro.

Yes we know, you've posted in three topics: here, Fallon, and F&F. You've constantly railed on UC for their output based on partially completed projects. Seriously, "no fire beneath Krakatau"? What on earth ever made you think there would be a pit of fire/lava under this volcano that has a lazy river going through it?

It blows my mind seeing people complain about the hole in the volcano..on the backside of it at that. The landscaping did more than enough to cool my worries about the theming as it provides a lush tropical setting for Krakatau to sit. I think those rope bridges connecting the stairway platforms will be cool to experience and look at from below. I feel that once you are surrounded in the ACTUAL park and not solely relying on Birdseye views and what not we all would truly feel immersed, hole and all.

Look at all this immersive themeing from the local water park here. This view from the load platform is amazing. Just world class theme park site lines!!! And those concrete stairs and metal handrails really tie into the theme of the entire park. The level of detail is so amazing!!!

CrushnGusher2005-03-13-3056_zpsykjapo5d.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.