Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if it's just slides then that's the only thing I'm disappointed in. Everything else looks to be next themed level.

I'd personally be way more disappointed if I went to a water park in my bathing suit and they had no slides.

Great piece on the park from Jim Hill:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/universal-orlando-resort_b_7462390.html

Basically, be ready for the most uber themed water park we've ever seen

To say its the "first" water theme park is a stretch. All of Disney's water parks have had strong theming. Even River Country.

I'm sure that UOR will build this to there recent over the top standards, but saying it's "first" is just asking for Disney fan riots.

Anyway, this looks really awesome. By the time this is open, I belive my daighter will finally be old and tall enough to start enjoying UOR. Can't wait to go.

To say its the "first" water theme park is a stretch. All of Disney's water parks have had strong theming. Even River Country.

I'm sure that UOR will build this to there recent over the top standards, but saying it's "first" is just asking for Disney fan riots.

Again, I think people are not understanding the terminology. Disney's parks are themed water parks. This will be a water theme park. Deeper theming and experiences.

Again, I think people are not understanding the terminology. Disney's parks are themed water parks. This will be a water theme park. Deeper theming and experiences.
Universal better figure out a good way to get that message across to the public if even the die-hard fans can't figure it out.

I'd personally be way more disappointed if I went to a water park in my bathing suit and they had no slides.

Lol yeah I was expecting slides. I guess I just misunderstood. I thought there would be actual water based attractions like Popeye on a smaller scale. Once it's build I'll see what's the difference between a themed Water Park and Water theme park.

Universal better figure out a good way to get that message across to the public if even the die-hard fans can't figure it out.

I think it was pretty obvious from the press release and the Jim Hill article. :shrug:

Lol yeah I was expecting slides. I guess I just misunderstood. I thought there would be actual water based attractions like Popeye on a smaller scale. Once it's build I'll see what's the difference between a themed Water Park and Water theme park.

I think the difference is the level of care and detail put into the water slides.

I think it was pretty obvious from the press release and the Jim Hill article. :shrug:
Based on the way Jim Hill said "similar intricacies as WWoHP" all I picture as being different from BB or TL is more upcharge experiences, possibly express for the attractions, specialty beverages and likely more heavily themed eateries and shops.

Yes, it will be more of a blend in that case than any other water park out there right now, but unless there's more to it than that, I don't think Universal really should be trying to pass it off as a theme park instead of a Water Park.

Last edited:
Yeeesh, and we thought the Kong sculpting was over the top... if they going to attempt to hide the supports for all the slides, I will birth a small fluffy kitten... :look:

I’m obviously 100% Team Universal to the bone, but that being said, I do have to say that having a central icon of a Volcano that spouts out water is just too close to Typhoon Lagoon. Even the jagged slate appearance of the volcano is aesthetically similar to TL. Perch a shrimp boat up there and it would be a dead ringer. All artists borrow and copy, so this is nothing new. This occurrence is just really obvious to me.

(And regardless of the “Water theme park”/“themed water park” semantics, TL truly is a remarkable set of experiences IMO (swimming with sharks!) with intricate backstories set in a beautiful environment. I just have to give credit where it is due.)

Okay, okay, okay — sorry — I don’t want to devolve into a Universal vs. Disney conversation. I just wanted to point out the Volcano similarity.

I’m certain UO will knock it out of the park!

I thought the wording was interesting and deliberate when I was reading the announcement. They want to make it clear that this is next-level.

I'll be interested to see how they integrate a significant emphasis on secondary spend food and merch in this park. It's easy when everything is nice and dry, but I wonder how immersive dining experiences and lots of shopping opportunities will work with this. TL and BB have shopping areas around the entrances but not enough to sustain the level of spending which seems to be expected now. Perhaps there will be something more on the scale of a regular park 'main street' area for this, and lots of unique merch etc. I can already see the drinks being poured if they're going with a tropical tiki theme though...! :cheers:

Edit -

I’m obviously 100% Team Universal to the bone, but that being said, I do have to say that having a central icon of a Volcano that spouts out water is just too close to Typhoon Lagoon. Even the jagged slate appearance of the volcano is aesthetically similar to TL. Perch a shrimp boat up there and it would be a dead ringer. All artists borrow and copy, so this is nothing new. This occurrence is just really obvious to me.

(And regardless of the “Water theme park”/“themed water park” semantics, TL truly is a remarkable set of experiences IMO (swimming with sharks!) with intricate backstories set in a beautiful environment. I just have to give credit where it is due.)

Okay, okay, okay — sorry — I don’t want to devolve into a Universal vs. Disney conversation. I just wanted to point out the Volcano similarity.

I’m certain UO will knock it out of the park!

I have some sympathy with this view myself. I must say, the style was not what I was expecting when the art was released; although I had no evidence to support this, I was instinctively expecting a darker, more moody and brooding volcano to contrast with the lush foliage and water. I like this one, but I hope the overall experience is different enough. Perhaps lots of hot springs and mist around the base will give it it's own character.

Last edited:
I thought the wording was interesting and deliberate when I was reading the announcement. They want to make it clear that this is next-level.

I'll be interested to see how they integrate a significant emphasis on secondary spend food and merch in this park. It's easy when everything is nice and dry, but I wonder how immersive dining experiences and lots of shopping opportunities will work with this. TL and BB have shopping areas around the entrances but not enough to sustain the level of spending which seems to be expected now. Perhaps there will be something more on the scale of a regular park 'main street' area for this, and lots of unique merch etc. I can already see the drinks being poured if they're going with a tropical tiki theme though...! :cheers:

I have a feeling we'll see a pretty substantially themed outdoor/indoor Tiki bar inside. Covered but open to the elements.

JungleSkip, this is the type of thing that doesn't sit right with me from Universal:

uni_zpsedjrfpxq.jpg

They're trying to deceive tourists into thinking this is going to be a third park like USF or IOA. Now while if you read the blog post they make the distinction, I still think it's a risky line to be walking. Don't set expectations to a point where people will be underwhelmed, no matter how great, because they were expecting something else based on how YOU marketed it. Sure, they put a link, but it's very clearly trying written out to call this a third theme park to the passing fan.

I mean, if we're counting this as a theme park, then WDW has had SIX Theme Parks for over 15 years. Hell, add DisneyQuest and you've got SEVEN. Someone should tell their Marketing department to get on that.

Last edited:
But they're saying it's not like a Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, but it's essentially a third Theme Park that's water oriented. And you are correct, they need to refer to it in a different way than the norm, and accentuate their marketing on what it is, a Water Theme Park, and what it is not, a themed Water Park. People are easily confused, so Universal will need to set everything straight from day one. Marketing & perception are so important.....Example: Heck, most customers are still confused over regular dvd's as opposed to Blu Ray dvd's. The industry never educated the customer properly, so they'll buy a blu ray dvd, never realizing it won't play in their regular dvd player. Consequently, blu rays haven't ever reached the marketing projection shares.

JungleSkip, this is the type of thing that doesn't sit right with me from Universal:

uni_zpsedjrfpxq.jpg

They're trying to deceive tourists into thinking this is going to be a third park like USF or IOA. Now while if you read the blog post they make the distinction, I still think it's a risky line to be walking. Don't set expectations to a point where people will be underwhelmed, no matter how great, because they were expecting something else based on how YOU marketed it. Sure, they put a link, but it's very clearly trying written out to call this a third theme park to the passing fan.

I mean, if we're counting this as a theme park, then WDW has had SIX Theme Parks for over 15 years. Hell, add DisneyQuest and you've got SEVEN. Someone should tell their Marketing department to get on that.

Then Disney can say they have six parks. I really don't see a problem with this. They're selling it as a "water" theme park. That's their decision. I don't think people will be underwhelmed with this park in its final form no matter what they call it

Then Disney can say they have six parks. I really don't see a problem with this. They're selling it as a "water" theme park. That's their decision.
It comes off as deceptive since I don't see them mention water anywhere in that tweet. And before you say "well they only had 140 characters...", I wrote out a tweet that would get it across better (imo of course):

A brand new take on the water park, Universal's #VolcanoBay WATER THEME PARK opens in 2017! Learn more at http://bit.ly/1QcOXuG

Simple and straight to the point. Tells you up front everything you need to know while still touting it's existence. I'm simply saying it's in their best interest to keep marketing to the point so guests come knowing what they are getting.

Last edited:
Yeah has the potiental to be another universal escape if they don't play their cards right. Although more technologically advanced than a waterpark, I'd be best to just call it a waterpark

It comes off as deceptive since I don't see them mentions water anywhere in that tweet. And before you say "well they only had 140 characters...", I wrote out a tweet that would get it across better (imo of course):

Simple and straight to the point. Tells you up front everything you need to know while still touting it's existence. I'm simply saying it's in their best interest to keep marketing to the point so guests come knowing what they are getting.

Calling Disney Hollywood Studios a theme park is just as deceptive :rofl:

Why does a theme park have to be dry?
One doesn't have to be. But consumer's have a certain expectation of what a "Theme Park" is, which is why it's important to make sure to distinguish at the very least as a "Water Theme Park" as the release coined it.

PR needs to be consistent across the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling Disney Hollywood Studios a theme park is just as deceptive :rofl:
While you have a very valid point, I'm not here to defend Disney. Just pointing out Universal needs to pick a narrative and stick with it, simply to not cause confusion.

One doesn't have to be. But consumer's have a certain expectation of what a "Theme Park" is, which is why it's important to make sure to distinguish at the very least as a "Water Theme Park" as the release coined it.

PR needs to be consistent across the board.

- - - Updated - - -

While you have a very valid point, I'm not here to defend Disney. Just pointing out Universal needs to pick a narrative and stick with it, simply to not cause confusion.

My reply was pure humor and has nothing do with an Disney debate. I will say I think its a little too early to think any type of confusion could arise with us still being 2 years away and still not "knowing" a lot about the new park. Now once we get a formal full blown annocunement with a website, opening dates, and tickets for sale I think then we will have a better idea of what were dealing with. Not to mention we have no idea where the marketing will be in 18 months and how they approach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.