Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Teebin have you been following all the crazy talk re: the exposed side of the Volcano? If so, could you say whether the current state is how it's supposed to be or will it be more enclosed?

Two years ago, I asked what the gaping hole was all about in the concepts and the person not completely in the know stated that it was just to show designers/execs the slides inside. It turns out that the person was wrong and it was a rough idea of the design idea to come. Therefore, I believe that what we are seeing is what we are getting.

You need to find a new team to play for. And we only scheduled matches on weekends, which makes the party after aspect better. :):lol:

You raise a very good point. :cheers:

Two years ago, I asked what the gaping hole was all about in the concepts and the person not completely in the know stated that it was just to show designers/execs the slides inside. It turns out that the person was wrong and it was a rough idea of the design idea to come. Therefore, I believe that what we are seeing is what we are getting.

Who's got the bottle to show up and do this?

And there you have it folks, steel is rising, rebar forms next and you can see the slide and supports are covered to keep the concrete off
I thought slides were always covered?? And i thought the madness about the open volcano was more focused on the center not around a slide as the above picture shows. Help me:shrug:

I thought slides were always covered?? And i thought the madness about the open volcano was more focused on the center not around a slide as the above picture shows. Help me:shrug:
The slides were covered but as they finish a section the covering is removed if they don't need it there any more.. They are building up around the slides on each side of the opening so they can put the structure seen in the art in the area to close it in some.

TL;DR - The back is incomplete, wont be closed but will have more rock work and yes in time for opening date.

OK so all of this talk about the back of the volcano, here are my thoughts. Personally I'm 99.9% sure its not finished and have already explained why a few posts back with an image but just looking at the latest drone video and thought I may have to point a couple of things out so hopefully a few of you can calm down, be a little patient and wait for some of the back pieces of the volcano to arrive.

Firstly lets look at what is missing, two screen shots below from he promo vids show a large area projecting towards the sky on the right of the water coaster exiting the mountain.

missing2.png

missing.png

Moving onto the screen shot below from the latest Drone footage:

What is there currently? NOTHING! But why is there nothing? Because you see that crane that is currently needed to complete the platform etc at the top and centre of the volcano, well check the screen shot below from the video, it is currently parked right where that missing rock work needs to be as highlighted in the red square to the left of the image! Its really not difficult to understand why that back portion is not finished, they need access to the centre of the volcano, not just for construction but also if they have any problems with the tech or slide pieces in the centre its no good closing that volcano up early!

Next question I have seen a few times: Are they just going to leave it? NO! Why? See those footers I have highlighted and spoken about on numerous occasions, they are incredibly large, they are there to support steel, the only steel that large left to install would be to support the rock work as highlighted in the promo vids above. Also take note of how large and empty the gap is in the left where the crane is, that is a large part of opening to leave uncovered and the edge of the volcano simply looks Odd, aesthetically its terrible so of course they wont leave it.

Third question you see a lot: But what about time? Its only a couple months from opening! So the steel structure will have been designed with the latest computer aided design packages which I'm sure will have undoubtedly included clash detection software etc etc, each piece of steel, slide, rock etc etc all calculated to exact sizes and fit. These are then made offsite, it becomes a huge Jigsaw puzzle. The rest of that rock missing will already be fabricated, its a matter of piecing a few bits of steel together, bolted down to already cast footers and slapping on a jigsaw skin and spraying it with concrete and painting it. Look at the speed some areas were done lately like the opening to the lazy river tunnel, done within days/ maybe a week. We have a couple months yet!!!!! IF more man power is needed UNI will get it. Money won't matter on the cost of a few more contractors for a few days or weeks.

current.png

In conclusion the large rock area missing will stop it looking as open and also make what is currently a clean edge to the volcano look much more natural, the right hand side has the same footers as I highlighted in the screen grab but none of the promo videos show anything projecting higher than the matt racers slides so from the video I'm assuming the angle of the footers suggests the rock work may project at an angle toward the volcano and up through the centre of that closest first green loop of the water coaster above the highlighted area on the right.

If anyone still has doubt fare enough, I don't no what more you need other than evidence of pieces being installed but so far there is nothing to suggest the missing rock won't be installed. If it isn't I would be incredibly surprised, but I'm not worried and confident it will turn up before long.

I'm sorry to foil this for you... but they are not adding rock work on those sides. The areas where they are adding more metal to bring the rock work closer to the slides (as pointed out in the twitter posts above) are all unfinished areas of the mountain, unpainted etc.

You don't paint and starting finishing rock work to then add on to it, it makes no sense. You'll notice the areas you've highlighted have been painted, the rock work has been rounded into the inside of the mountain, there's no areas to attach new rock work to. Unless you are expecting this to be a freestanding piece not attached to the actual mountain?

If you actually look at where the slide comes out, that rock work pretty much matches the concept you've highlighted, it's just hard to tell from this angle.

I don't understand what the issue is with the volcano. Once everything is finished it will look complete. You won't be able to see any of the supports to the volcano from park view. Building the volcano with the back blown out is actually more expensive than if it were enclosed. It requires more engineering and materials to create. I would wait and see what it looks like complete. I didn't think I would like the look of it when I first heard about it but if you look at the interior rock work they've done a great job. Plus I didn't even think about how hot and humid it would be climbing stairs if they were inside the structure.

If you only had to build and theme the outside structure of a cone shape it would be easier and cheaper than building 75% of said structure and theming the outside and interior section. Also it would require more support and reinforced beams so it won't collapse.

I think what he's saying is that you would have to theme the inside since it's not closed.

If you look at the lazy river in this photo, you can see sunlight being present.
View attachment 3954

The hole will be there. My problem is the supports and framework. Hide the that and I'll be good.
I agree but from what the top of the volcano looks like I would assume they will. If they don't then that would definitely be a disappointment.

If you ran a waterfall down the center between the stairs it would go a long way to filling the space in.

I think that could very easily be done.

And of course, the stairs and top framework will have added themeing.

I was going to add the handles for the stair case using those wooden uprights but the idea of copying and pasting them about 200 times was too much when it's almost midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.